The end of Windows 7...now what?

nickyrat

nickyrat

I have been an Emby user since MediaBrowser. I loved and still love how it works with Windows Media Center on Windows 7. My current media server is set up on Windows 7, and I use WMC on my main TV that's hooked to the sever, and a few other TVs in the house. 

I guess I'm just looking for some advise on what to do now that support for Windows 7 is ending. 

I'm just so used to the layout of Windows Media Center, and the flawless execution between it and my Windows 7 server set up, that I'm anxious about how to make sure things work for me once Windows 7 is no longer a good solution.

Does anyone else on here still use 7 and WMC? Did you used to use it and have moved on to something new and you still like it? I love the LiveTV of WMC. I know Emby now has LiveTV options...but I think I need to buy a specific tuner for that? Is Windows 10 my only option with Theater? What about Linux server?

So...yeah...bit of a ramble. I guess I'm just looking for any suggestions or advise for someone who has used a Windows 7 setup through Windows Media Center since original Mediabrowser.

The future and change is scary...please hold my hand and help me through it! :)

Is Windows 10 my only option with Theater?

Hi, this would be our suggested option for you, but yes you could go the Linux route as well.

• Like 1

Sammy

I quit W7MC within the past year. Emby DVR is pretty good but tune times still need a bit of work unless you're not interested in pausing LiveTV.

My setup was WMC with Echo Extenders and Roku 2, second generations for Emby as it didn't work so well in WMC on extenders due to limitations of codex in WMC. I used HDHomeRun Prime CableCARD Tuners for LiveTV.

Now I run an Emby Server on a Windows 7 box with ShieldTV's on the front end and now I use HDHomeRun Connect OTA Tuners.

I do miss WMC still but Emby does a whole lot more even while it is a bit slow on LiveTV. I recommend you use HDHomeRun Tuners if you leave WMC behind as they are the easiest to use with Emby, which basically will detect the tuner on your network.

Due to the great work of @@Luke and @@ebr on Emby you will like it all on it's own.

roberto188

The only thing you will miss without WMC is DRM channels, like HBO, FOX News, BTN and others. Some of the DRM stations have Roku apps, some don't and as usual they are of variying quality. HBO go and Fox News are great for streaming....BTN is god awful. I still run Win 7 with WMC for all my in house TVs. Roku's and embys for my vacation home TVS.

Teddy

Why do not update to Windows 10 integrating WMC?

I have been doing it for a few months and it works identically as in Windows 7. The latest version 8.8.3 of WMC for Windows 10, works very well.

nickyrat

Why do not update to Windows 10 integrating WMC?

I have been doing it for a few months and it works identically as in Windows 7. The latest version 8.8.3 of WMC for Windows 10, works very well.

WMC works in Windows 10? I thought it was discontinued after Windows 8? Or is it an unofficial work around version of WMC?

nickyrat

The only thing you will miss without WMC is DRM channels, like HBO, FOX News, BTN and others. Some of the DRM stations have Roku apps, some don't and as usual they are of variying quality. HBO go and Fox News are great for streaming....BTN is god awful. I still run Win 7 with WMC for all my in house TVs. Roku's and embys for my vacation home TVS.

I don't have cable, only OTA channels...so HBO and whatnot don't really matter to me. Will you continue to use Windows 7 after it's not supported? Or are you looking at upgrading to Windows 10?

roberto188

The WMC on windows 10 is a work around and is touch and go at best. Everytime Microsoft updates windows 10 you have to reload potentially a new build, because the updates break WMC. It's a total hassle and buggy as all hell. Yes I'll stick with Win7. Why wouldn't I? The PC just sits there and throws my media around. I'm not installing new software, browsing the web or anything else. What "support" is Microsoft offering?

Edited by roberto188

Teddy

It is an unofficial version of the work of teams that keep WMC alive on Windows 10.

There are a lot of places where you can find information but you can start here :

https://www.windowsmediacenter.fr/2019/04/13/windows- media-center-8-8-3-pour-windows-10-est-disponible /,

The site is in French but you can use Google translate.

Edited by Teddy

One2Go

What is all the Angst about the end of Windows 7? I am running Win 7 with WMC and EMC as well as Throgsoft's themes that require WMC. Just because MS decided they needed a new revenue stream does not mean you can't use Win 7. It is a very popular OS still. I plan to run Win 7 with a stable Emby server to power my Home Theater. I do run the Homerun tuners for Live TV and for the next 10 years I am set. No need to change to a new OS for me. For running a home theater and have live TV the only thing that matters is a stable OS, a stable server with features one needs and a client that can connect to it with the User Interface that is to one's liking

pir8radio

What is all the Angst about the end of Windows 7? I am running Win 7 with WMC and EMC as well as Throgsoft's themes that require WMC. Just because MS decided they needed a new revenue stream does not mean you can't use Win 7. It is a very popular OS still. I plan to run Win 7 with a stable Emby server to power my Home Theater. I do run the Homerun tuners for Live TV and for the next 10 years I am set. No need to change to a new OS for me. For running a home theater and have live TV the only thing that matters is a stable OS, a stable server with features one needs and a client that can connect to it with the User Interface that is to one's liking

Yea, but emby cant continue to maintain separate versions of their server to support old OS's should windows 10 require an emby change that will break it on windows 7.   At least I would assume they wouldn't...  but you know what happens when you assume....

• Like 1

Sammy

Correct me if I'm wrong but Emby is built from binaries and compiled for each OS so as long as there's a compiler..

Sammy

That said, if there's an easy upgrade path from Win7x64 Pro to Win10 Pro I'll do it. I just have so many settings I just know I'll have hours to reconfigure things so I procrastinate. WMC kept me on Win7 until the middle of last year but eventually I'll make the switch.. as long as I can still have concurrent RDP sessions that is.

Gilgamesh_48

That said, if there's an easy upgrade path from Win7x64 Pro to Win10 Pro I'll do it. I just have so many settings I just know I'll have hours to reconfigure things so I procrastinate. WMC kept me on Win7 until the middle of last year but eventually I'll make the switch.. as long as I can still have concurrent RDP sessions that is.

Admittedly since I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 about as soon as I could my experience was different BUT I must say that I did not need to change much at all after the upgrade.Also on two out of the four computers I have I needed to do nothing special at all.

I do not know if you will need to do anything special but I can say that I did not and my computers have been completely stable ever since, except for minor tweaks.

The upgrade from 7 to 10 seems to be one of the few things Microsoft has gotten right in its history.

spacvad

For me Windows 7 users have several options:

1. Do nothing.

Pros: a stable known system with no downtime. Can still be safe if you don't have remote users or acquire new content from the Internet (OTA will still be safe.)

Cons: if you do have remote users or acquire Web content your server will be vulnerable to exploits after MS support ends. The last time an OS with this kind of user base went out of support was XP and you may remember how much malware was targeted at it afterwards.

2. Upgrade to Windows 8.1

Pros: A familiar OS environment that will still receive updates until January 2023 and officially supports WMC.

Cons: was not a well received OS as the UI is clunky, getting a licence is a bit tricky now (but they are cheap,) and you have to install WMC as its not on by default.

3. Upgrade to Windows 10.

Pros: a familiar OS and the main focus of Microsoft and hardware vendors support. No end date for updates has been published.

Cons: licences aren't as cheap as Windows 8.1. Major version updates twice a year that may break things, WMC isn't supported so you'll either need to find an alternative or cludgey workarounds.

4. Upgrade to linux

Pros: No licence costs, ongoing support (Ubuntu LTS editions have 10 years of updates,) less vulnerable to malware than Windows based systems.

Cons: Huge learning curve if you've never ventures beyond Windows before, I'd suggest running it as a test alongside your win 7 system while you learn. still doesn't support WMC so you'd need to find an alternative.

In my view the best choice would be to start looking for WMC alternatives with a view to migrating either to Win10 or Linux, you'd have 8 months to find a solution you like before support ends.

My second choice would be Win 8.1 to give you 3 more years to find a solution.

I'd recommend against keeping on Win 7 after support ends unless it's entirely isolated from the internet. Remote users are particularly risky in that scenario.

One2Go

For me Windows 7 users have several options:

1. Do nothing.

Pros: a stable known system with no downtime. Can still be safe if you don't have remote users or acquire new content from the Internet (OTA will still be safe.)

Cons: if you do have remote users or acquire Web content your server will be vulnerable to exploits after MS support ends. The last time an OS with this kind of user base went out of support was XP and you may remember how much malware was targeted at it afterwards.

I'd recommend against keeping on Win 7 after support ends unless it's entirely isolated from the internet. Remote users are particularly risky in that scenario.

This is my choice for my Home Theater as there are no outside users and the server is not exposed to the Internet.

To solve the problem of user access to my library I am running a second server on a QNAP NAS which is exposed to the Internet. Best of both worlds.

Sammy

Are updates to MSE ending too? It is the only part of Windows that I keep updated.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

WMC on Win7 will carry on working fine for as long as you run Win7, and just because support is 'ending' doesn't mean Win7 will stop working. There are still about 600m Win7 PC's running in the world. The only reason to stop using WMC on Win7 for LiveTV is when MS kill the guide updates. Very reluctantly, I actually gave up on WMC 18 months or so ago, but as I have no interest in Win10, I eventually just bought a Shield for Emby, and it works brilliantly. No more hassle maintaining Windows, or tweaking settings. I actually just watch things now, and don't worry about it. I also just use a basic DVR for recordings, but because so much is streamed now, I find I'm using that less and less.

So, if it's still working for you, just stick with what you've got until something better comes along that's not Windows!