• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Tontin.UK OFFLINE  

Tontin.UK

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 02:06 AM

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:36 PM

lets just say someone (many people probably) ripped them and then erm they were downloaded so they would have been ripped by different machines and software all over the globe.

#22 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11193 posts
  • Local time: 06:06 PM

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:50 PM

Lol... understood. But that gives it even more likely hood of error. Certainly of variation. It could be old standards that aren't readily supported when passed through. Mpv is built on ffmpeg, and can correctly decode it. And if you had HDMI, you could just do that. But as you have optical, you need compressed streams like dts and ac3. So I'm offering you the ac3 option.

#23 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11193 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:24 PM

Actually, the closest I seem to be able to get, is converting all DTS to AC3. The profile doesn't appear to be sensitive enough to be limited to only WAV files. It gets enabled, generally. I had the same issue with audio codecs. But in that case I could use the name. There's no option for that with files. I would need ["file-format-name"]

#24 Tontin.UK OFFLINE  

Tontin.UK

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:38 PM

you lost me there a bit, i did play myself, vlc plays all my dts songs fine right speed etc, i turned off pass through in ET and got no sound, installed shark007 advanced codecs and with no passthrough in ET I now get sound at right speed just not dts, turn passthrough back on in ET and back to dts but faster speed. such a shame it doesn't work out the box where it did with the old setup.

#25 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11193 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:08 PM

you lost me there a bit, i did play myself, vlc plays all my dts songs fine right speed etc, i turned off pass through in ET and got no sound, installed shark007 advanced codecs and with no passthrough in ET I now get sound at right speed just not dts, turn passthrough back on in ET and back to dts but faster speed. such a shame it doesn't work out the box where it did with the old setup.

Yeah sorry, I guess I was thinking 'out loud'. With mpv, you can use profiles to do specific things. As I mentioned, mpv is built on ffmpeg, so there're a massive amount of things you can do with it. And I was just saying that the profile I was using to convert the dts to ac3, specifically for wav files, isn't actually working specifically for wav files, when it should (I may report this to the mpv devs). 

As for Shark, it can't be used with Theater. It uses directshow filters, which are entirely different.

The reason you get no sound when disabling dts in Theater, is as I explained. mpv can and will decode the audio, correctly. But then the audio is fully decompressed, and is raw audio (PCM). It has a much larger bandwidth, which optical cables don't support. So, no data passes down the optical cable. My solution was to have mpv decode it to raw audio, then re-encode it to AC3, which is supported by optical cables. But am unable to specify it to your wav audio files. The only other option is to let mpv convert all of your dts audio to AC3. You may balk at the idea, but I very much doubt that you could tell the difference. I can make this happen for you, very easily.

#26 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11193 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:14 PM

I tried bitstreaming the audio in VLC. It plays at the correct speed, but there are a lot of errors in the stream. The audio drops out many times.

vlc plays all my dts songs fine right speed etc, 

Did you enable audio bitstreaming in vlc? By default, it decodes the audio, like mpv.

UPDATE:

Tried again in VLC, and it played without error.

Edited by Doofus, 20 April 2019 - 08:57 PM.

#27 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11193 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:01 PM

Reported it to mpv

https://github.com/m...mpv/issues/6651

#28 Tontin.UK OFFLINE  

Tontin.UK

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 06:50 AM

okay  i have played extensively and this is most definitely an Emby Theatre problem.

Completely unistalled shark as suggested and we get back to the playback being faster etc, disable passthrough in ET and when playing the dts 5.1 audio we get nothing.

i have installed the win10 codec pack which has lav etc etc all included as well as media player classic, now WMP classic can play the 5.1 dts audio no problem and when pass through disabled in ET i now get sound but only stereo and not great quality stereo . 

ET is defo not doing what it should.

I might add a friend has ET on a win7 set up and his is playing the same audio file fine so is ET just having this issue with win10????????

#29 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11193 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:38 AM

The mpv devs haven't responded, yet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dts, 5.1, dolby, surround, sound, optical, fast, speed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users