Audio problems with Emby on Shield AndroidTv

ecrispy

TylerV76

Can you please try turning off all post-processing ("surround") modes on your receiver and putting it in "pure direct" or whatever mode will just pass thru exactly what is being received without any other processing?

Alternatively, does your receiver have any lights or other display that show exactly how many channels are being received? My Pioneer has little light boxes for all 8 channels and they light up based on the incoming signal.

I dont use any post-processing. Its always in “Direct” mode. It doesnt show how many channels are being used.

I dont use any post-processing. Its always in “Direct” mode. It doesnt show how many channels are being used.

The display on your receiver contradicts that...  It clearly said "+ DolbySurround" which would indicate a processing mode being applied to the signal.

When the show you sent me is playing, is sound coming out of all of your speakers or just the left/right ones?

TylerV76

The display on your receiver contradicts that...  It clearly said "+ DolbySurround" which would indicate a processing mode being applied to the signal.

When the show you sent me is playing, is sound coming out of all of your speakers or just the left/right ones?

That mode is what's being sent from the station. If I was using post processing it wouldn't switch back to Dolby Digital.

All speakers are outputting.

Edited by TylerV76

TylerV76

This is “Pure Direct” mode. No processing what so ever. The “auto” icon signifies that. Same as in the video I posted.

0f36168d154ee0b756be373381e4200e.jpg

All speakers are outputting.

The input signal is stereo.  If you are hearing all speakers, then that is your receiver expanding the stereo signal to 5.1.

My suspicion is still that the other programs you are comparing to are sending stereo all the time. 

TylerV76

The input signal is stereo. If you are hearing all speakers, then that is your receiver expanding the stereo signal to 5.1.

My suspicion is still that the other programs you are comparing to are sending stereo all the time.

According to Denon, direct mode makes no audio adjustments. My Pioneer was the exact same way. In direct mode it dropped audio when switching from DD to DSur. If I switch to a stereo codec like music then it stays in stereo and only the front 2 speakers play.

As for the other apps, they switch audio modes exactly like Emby but it doesnt drop out.

As for the other apps, they switch audio modes exactly like Emby but it doesnt drop out.

Your receiver isn't showing us if the channel count being received is actually changing.  That is the key.

I just cannot think of how the app (other than changing the signal being sent to something common) could possibly affect this but I'm still looking into it.

Thanks.

Okay, I have something else for you to try if you don't mind.

In the Plex Android TV app go to settings and disable "PassThru" mode.

Does Plex now behave exactly like we do?

(for easy reference, the recording you sent me has an Olay commercial about 10 minutes in that does the switch)

TylerV76

Okay, I have something else for you to try if you don't mind.

In the Plex Android TV app go to settings and disable "PassThru" mode.

Does Plex now behave exactly like we do?

(for easy reference, the recording you sent me has an Olay commercial about 10 minutes in that does the switch)

Ok on Plex if I turn off Passthrough everything plays in "Stereo" mode. Then at 8:53 there is the "She-Shed" commercial and it does the switch to "Multi-Channel" mode and the audio drops out like it does in Emby. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
shdwkeeper

Has this been resolved in some way.  I get audio dropouts playing live tv from the HDhomerun device through Emby, but when I switch to Channels the audio is fine and doesn't drop out, when using the same HDhomerun device.  Any ideas?

2 hours ago, shdwkeeper said:

Has this been resolved in some way.  I get audio dropouts playing live tv from the HDhomerun device through Emby, but when I switch to Channels the audio is fine and doesn't drop out, when using the same HDhomerun device.  Any ideas?

Hi.  Is it the same situation of switching between multi-channel and stereo audio?  If you set the app to downmix to stereo, does it happen?

shdwkeeper
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Is it the same situation of switching between multi-channel and stereo audio?  If you set the app to downmix to stereo, does it happen?

No idea if it's same but sounds similar.  It happens on 2 different TVs one with Shield Pro and one with normal Shield.  Vizio TV and Soundbar on one, and Samsung TV with soundbar on another.  Where is the setting to downmix to stereo located at?

Also, it seems the error occurs in Live Seek Mode a lot more than Direct Play.  In Live Seek Mode I get Direct Play error under transcode reason.20210728_174823.thumb.jpg.c5852dab6520ccee60da258532cff6e2.jpg

Edited by shdwkeeper

12 hours ago, shdwkeeper said:

Where is the setting to downmix to stereo located at?

Settings->Playback->Audio Output

shdwkeeper

Downmix option isn't there. If convert unsupported audio to Dolby is what you mean, I tried that and it's still happening.

Just now, shdwkeeper said:

Isn't that what's installed on the Shield?  I downloaded it from Google play store.

No, this is our standard Emby android app for tablets and phones, but is also compatible with TV devices.

shdwkeeper
1 minute ago, Luke said:

No, this is our standard Emby android app for tablets and phones, but is also compatible with TV devices.

Ok let me try. What's the difference?

Edited by shdwkeeper

29 minutes ago, shdwkeeper said:

Ok let me try. What's the difference?

Sometimes it is a little bit ahead in terms of video player updates.

• Thanks 1

shdwkeeper
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Sometimes it is a little bit ahead in terms of video player updates.

Ok install emby for android on the shield.  How do I pause and rewind live tv?

4 hours ago, shdwkeeper said:

Ok install emby for android on the shield.  How do I pause and rewind live tv?

If it's direct playing there will be limited ability to do that, but what about the audio problems?

shdwkeeper
1 hour ago, Luke said:

If it's direct playing there will be limited ability to do that, but what about the audio problems?

Is there an option to time shift on this app?  The audio when direct playing seems fine, the problem is the audio in Live Seek mode.