Audio problems with Emby on Shield AndroidTv

ecrispy

Regardless, why does it only happen in Emby?

Are the other apps you are testing against actually switching between a bitstreamed DD signal and a straight stereo signal?

At this point, that would be my guess as to why it is different.  Changing the setting I referenced above would stop Emby from doing this switch as well but we need someone to confirm that has an effect.

TylerV76

Are the other apps you are testing against actually switching between a bitstreamed DD signal and a straight stereo signal?

At this point, that would be my guess as to why it is different.  Changing the setting I referenced above would stop Emby from doing this switch as well but we need someone to confirm that has an effect.

They are switching between Dolby Digital and DTS. Thats when the drops occur, not stereo. The 2 videos I posted show exactly what's happening. In the first one it switches from DTS to DD and the last 2 seconds of the commercial drops the audio.

Edit:  changing to stereo will fix it because now you are maintaining one audio codec. You shouldn't have to sacrifice audio quality to stop it though.

Edited by TylerV76

They are switching between Dolby Digital and DTS. Thats when the drops occur, not stereo. The 2 videos I posted show exactly what's happening. In the first one it switches from DTS to DD and the last 2 seconds of the commercial drops the audio.

The other apps you are comparing to are bitstreaming to your receiver?

Okay, so you see your receiver actually switch instantly between DTS and DD?

I've never seen my receiver able to do that.  It always mutes itself for a second or so between switching like that - much like a TV does on a refresh rate switch.

Sammy

They have dts on Cable TV? I need to check that out. Sounds weird.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

TylerV76

Okay, so you see your receiver actually switch instantly between DTS and DD?

I've never seen my receiver able to do that.  It always mutes itself for a second or so between switching like that - much like a TV does on a refresh rate switch.

They have dts on Cable TV? I need to check that out. Sounds weird.

Apologies, not DTS but rather Dolby Surround. Its when it switches between DD and DSurround. 

Edited by TylerV76

Okay, "Dolby Surround" is just a post-processing setting being applied by your receiver to a stereo input I'm pretty sure.

Which app, exactly, is able to affect this switch instantly (and you can see the switch on the receiver display) with no drop-out?

TylerV76

Okay, "Dolby Surround" is just a post-processing setting being applied by your receiver to a stereo input I'm pretty sure.

Which app, exactly, is able to affect this switch instantly (and you can see the switch on the receiver display) with no drop-out?

My receiver is set to auto which takes the signal from the station and decodes it. Thats why its switching from DD to DSUR. The receiver is not changing or upmixing any signals.  Thats what's being sent from the station. 

If you watch video 2, Plex switches between them instantly without dropping audio, and you can see the switch happen.

Edited by TylerV76

Okay, "Dolby Surround" is post-processing being applied by the receiver so that makes sense now.

Is Plex direct streaming the signal while we are either transcoding or remuxing it?

TylerV76

Okay, "Dolby Surround" is post-processing being applied by the receiver so that makes sense now.

Is Plex direct streaming the signal while we are either transcoding or remuxing it?

Both Plex and Emby direct stream only. I do no transcoding on this server. 

Both Plex and Emby direct stream only. I do no transcoding on this server. 

So you cannot pause it in Emby, correct?

When we direct stream, though, we are still passing it through our server but if it isn't remuxing then that shouldn't matter...

TylerV76

So you cannot pause it in Emby, correct?

When we direct stream, though, we are still passing it through our server but if it isn't remuxing then that shouldn't matter...

No. I couldn't use timeshifting in Emby because it paused nonstop. 

Sammy

Possibly. The other streams may not have been switching in and out of DD.

The Audio option is in the playback settings in the app.

But then all content is stereo including lossless multi track?

Sammy

The first video I posted does it.

I think @@ebr wants a copy of an actual recording to run through testing to see what's happening.

I think @@ebr wants a copy of an actual recording to run through testing to see what's happening.

Correct.  Thanks.

TylerV76

Correct.  Thanks.

Except it isn't happening in recordings. Only Direct Play live tv. 

Except it isn't happening in recordings. Only Direct Play live tv. 

So, if you use Emby to record the exact same channel and do not convert or post process the recording in any way, this problem doesn't occur?  Does the audio switch like it does with Plex or has the audio somehow been changed?

TylerV76

So, if you use Emby to record the exact same channel and do not convert or post process the recording in any way, this problem doesn't occur?  Does the audio switch like it does with Plex or has the audio somehow been changed?

Its been a while but I do not recall it dropping out during the recordings. Its still switches audio from DD to DSUR. I haven't used Emby since the delete button situation but since that's being resolved I will put it back up and record some shows. If you can give me a day or so I will get some stuff recorded and see what happens. if it does indeed drop out on recordings I will send you a link to download the file. 

This happens on multiple receivers of multiple brands btw. I originally thought it was a Denon issue. 

TylerV76

Got around to checking this out last night and it is indeed dropping out during recordings every time the audio switches. I probably never notices since I skip through the commercials. I've sent you a link to the recording ebr.

Thanks for the sample.  As expected, I can reproduce what you are seeing.  Interestingly, in this recording it is just the random commercial that has a 5.1 signal so it is between some of the commercials that it happens.  The main show is in stereo as are most of the commercials.

I'm not really sure what to try here unfortunately.  Every advanced receiver I have ever used has behaved this way - muting itself as it switches between different types of inputs.  On my Pioneer, I can also hear the relays click as described here.

I'll try to research if there is any way from the app side that we could eliminate this (aside from only sending stereo) but I don't have any ideas at this point.

TylerV76

Thanks for the sample.  As expected, I can reproduce what you are seeing.  Interestingly, in this recording it is just the random commercial that has a 5.1 signal so it is between some of the commercials that it happens.  The main show is in stereo as are most of the commercials.

I'm not really sure what to try here unfortunately.  Every advanced receiver I have ever used has behaved this way - muting itself as it switches between different types of inputs.  On my Pioneer, I can also hear the relays click as described here.

I'll try to research if there is any way from the app side that we could eliminate this (aside from only sending stereo) but I don't have any ideas at this point.

Some stations are obviously worse than others but the ones who switch constantly between commercials are really aggravating. Im not sure how the HDHomerun app or Plex handle it but for some reason they have a smooth transition. 

Can you please try turning off all post-processing ("surround") modes on your receiver and putting it in "pure direct" or whatever mode will just pass thru exactly what is being received without any other processing?

Alternatively, does your receiver have any lights or other display that show exactly how many channels are being received?  My Pioneer has little light boxes for all 8 channels and they light up based on the incoming signal.