"Cannot init CUDA" with Quadro P400 in LXC container (Debian)

bradford

bradford

My issue is similar to the issue posted here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/71464-cannot-init-cuda-with-quadro-rtx-4000-on-ubuntu-1804/

The difference is I'm running it in a LXC container passing /dev/nvidia* through, as well as being on Debian 9.6.

It's worked in the wild west days when I just had to use a ffmpeg build that supported nvenc - the link in my signature is my walkthrough of the process. 

To make sure the driver version isn't a culprit, I updated my driver on the host and in the container to 418.56 and nvidia-smi on both shows the card is detected with CUDA 10.1. Back in the day, nvidia-smi working was all it took to get ffmpeg and hardware transcoding working. 

hardware_detection.txt says "Cannot init CUDA", so I bet something about your CUDA detection isn't playing nice with container passthrough. I know this probably isn't supported, but I wonder if someone with insight into the hardware detection can give some insight (@softworkz?).

Thanks for your help

hardware_detection.txt

embyserver.txt

bradford

@@Luke can you give any insight into what your detect_hardware code does? If the source is available I can look at it myself. Is it just looking at /dev/ nodes?  Or is it running a CUDA executable to test whether CUDA is available?

@@Luke can you give any insight into what your detect_hardware code does? If the source is available I can look at it myself. Is it just looking at /dev/ nodes?  Or is it running a CUDA executable to test whether CUDA is available?

It is dynamically loading cuvid and nvenc libraries in the same way as ffmeg does.

bradford

@@bradford - Are you saying that a recent 'official' ffmpeg build is working?

No, I haven't tried for a while. I'll see if I can get ffmpeg to work standalone and post back here with my results. 

bradford

So in order to use CUDA the /dev/nvidia-uvm device needs to be present, and isn't unless it's explicitly passed through from the host. In order to have the host load the kernel modules at boot, I made a few changes like those listed in this guide: https://medium.com/@MARatsimbazafy/journey-to-deep-learning-nvidia-gpu-passthrough-to-lxc-container-97d0bc474957

Works great now, I'll update my guide as well. Hope this helps someone else in the same boat. Do you guys do something similar in your docker container?