MB Review and performance issues

celcius

celcius

Hi they are xvid avi's. the filenames vary and quite often have stuff afer the name like resolution etc, it seems sometimes it gets them and other times it doesn't. I don't mind having to rename them or identify them but I just didn't have to with plex. Like I said though, that I can live with if I can get them to play locally and remotely ok through MB Theatre. Is there a log somewhere with a more detailed error message?

Koleckai Silvestri

You can find logs at \%appdata%\Mediabrowser-Server\Logs and \%appdata\MediaBrowser-Theater. On the machines where the applications are installed. You can enable debug logging in the server under Advanced and under Advanced -> Transcoding. Might help determine what the problem is. 

Theater tries to play things directly so needs permissions to read the files directly, even over the Internet or Wan. For this you would want to use a VPN. It is mainly designed for LAN viewing though. It should put very little requirements on the server itself. My server is not much different than yours and the CPU is a few years old but still an i5. We've streamed to two clients using Theater and still are able to support streaming 20 Megabit blu-ray quality files to a Roku which needs transcoding. My server is normally sitting at about 5% CPU when not transcoding.

Are you running as a service? Some people have stated that uses more resources though I don't know why it would.

I kept my file structure after switching from Plex and have found the metadata retrieval to be better. All my files are embedded in MKV files and MPEG4 and h.264 formats with a variety of audio from AAC to 7.1 Surround Sound formats. I don't use any kind of tags in my titles though.They are just "movie name, the (yyyy)".

celcius

Thanks for the details, I will turn on the logging and review the logs. Regarding access the theatre that won't play the files is on the server itself, when playing the file using Theatre on my girlfriends machine (connected using a dynamic DNS address) the same file plays but is very jumpy. They are SD files between 300mb and 1.4gb in total.

Really appreciate your fast and helpful responses. Will update with log info tomorrow.

Best thing to do is file separate issues with each app, including specific examples with logs where appropriate.

I can tell you about Theater - it is currenlty not built to stream very well (it's on the to do list, still alpha stage). But if setup properly, it will just play the files over the network directly with no streaming required. That will provide the best results.

celcius

Hi Folks, I want a little guidance if you would all be so kind. Sorry in advance for the long post.

I was a long time user of MB when it was (as far as I recall) just an MCE plugin. I use My Xbox360 as an extender and everything worked beautifully. I moved home and was without xbox or TV for some time so got used to watching on my 24" monitor direct on my PC for a few years until I bought a nice new 42" screen and wanted "the good old days" back again. I didn't even look at MB at the time as I didn't want to run MCE so installed Plex and have been fairly happy with it. My Girlfriend has remote access to my library and it streams fine even when I am watching something locally and even the kids too on their tablet though sometimes it does start to lag.

Anyway enough background I discovered MB had matured into to quite the impressive cross platform solution so I excited downloaded and installed all the necessaries.

I have to say the installation and configuration was easy and agreeable and the Theatre, windows store and windows phone apps are beautiful and intuitive, far more user friendly than the Plex counterparts and a credit to the designers and Devs.

Here unfortunately is where my love affair starts to fray...

I am finding that MB just can't seem to cope with my requirements and I am desperately hoping someone will tell me to tweak this and tune that and SHAZAM all is good!

So here are my issues, please, please help :)

1. Streaming locally on the web interface even when I tell it to set the highest quality just looks distorted and poor.
  2. Streaming remotely via MB Theatre just isn't happening, its jittery and freezes constantly even when nothing else is running on the server so chances of me watching something at the same time locally are none at present.
  3. Local MB theatre keeps telling my it can't play certain files. I get a "There was an error processing this request error. The same file plays in the web interface and in VLC / Media Player.
  4. I find the metadata search needs a lot of human interaction compared with plex.

Now no 4 I can live with but I don't want to go back to plex so I would really appreciate help with points 1 - 3.

I'm running Windows 8.1 as my server and main player (connected to my TV) which is an i5 with 8GB RAM, 128gb ssd for the O/S and a 3TB SATA drive for my media.

I have 60mb fibre optic broadband (3mb upspeed) and My GF has 20MB DL / 2MB UL.

It runs with onboard gfx which I know isn't great but plex is coping fine.

Am I asking too much or is there a secret button I can press to make it all work nicely?

Thanks for staying awake!!!

Koleckai Silvestri

What is the format of your videos with playback problems?

What is the naming sequence you're using for metadata retrieval?

Edited by Wayne Luke

Deathsquirrel

With 3Mb upload speeds you should use a client app that lets you pick transcoding options.  I wouldn't use MBT in that environment.  Unless your movies are REALLY low bitrate you don't have enough bandwidth to play remotely without transcoding.  Win 8.1 app is probably your best bet on any client device that can run MBT.

celcius

Folks, I have to say I am impressed with the speed and quality of your responses, its really appreciated.

I'm making progress! Firstly, mybad, I double checked my server settings I had the transcoding quality set to auto but I noticed a checkbox saying allow clients to request upscaled video which was unchecked so when I was increasing the quality before during playback i'm guessing it was doing nothing. I've set the quality to higher and ticked the box and the web client is working well now.

On the MB Theatre front point noted on remote streaming, I've bought the windows store app and it works well. I have also checked the logs for the files that won't play locally and it says it cannot play the audio stream. These files play (not well admittedly) on MB Theatre on my remote machines fine though and they are AC3 audio streams. Here is the log error, it seems to happen on about 30% of my files:

2014-05-14 00:55:00.4480 Info - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Playing I Spit On Your Grave 2. Reclock: False, Madvr: False, xySubFilter: False
2014-05-14 00:55:00.4480 Info - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Playing Path D:\Media\Movies\I.Spit.On.Your.Grave.2.2013\I.Spit.On.Your.Grave.2.2013.720p.BRRiP.XViD.AC3.avi
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5732 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Disable HWA support for: MPEG2DVD
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5732 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Change HWA resolution support from 3 to -1.
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5732 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Add LAVAudio to the graph.
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5785 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Enable LAVAudio Runtime Config
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5785 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Enable LAVAudio S/PDIF bitstreaming
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5785 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Enable LAVAudio HDMI bitstreaming
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5785 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Set LAVAudio auto AV Sync: True
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5785 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Set LAVAudio Expand61: False
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5785 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Set LAVAudio ExpandMono: False
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5785 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Set LAVAudio ConvertToStandardLayout: True
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5785 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Set LAVAudio audio EnableDRC: False
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5785 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Set LAVAudio audio ShowTrayIcon: False
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5785 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: AC3 bitstreaming: True
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5936 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: EAC3 bitstreaming: True
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5936 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: TRUEHD bitstreaming: True
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5936 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: DTS bitstreaming: True
2014-05-14 00:55:00.5936 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: DTSHD bitstreaming: True
2014-05-14 00:55:00.6896 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: NumberOfStreams: 1
2014-05-14 00:55:00.8033 Error - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Error beginning playback
 Cannot play back the audio stream: the audio format is not supported.
 System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method)
    at MediaBrowser.Theater.DirectShow.InternalDirectShowPlayer.InvokeOnPlayerThread(Action action)
    at MediaBrowser.Theater.DirectShow.InternalDirectShowPlayer.<PlayTrack>d__10.MoveNext()
 --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    at MediaBrowser.Theater.DirectShow.InternalDirectShowPlayer.<Play>d__2.MoveNext()

I'd just use the store app but one of my big hangups with plex was a lack of trailer support and the store app doesn't have it yet. The missus needs to see a trailer for a film before she can decide to watch it or not! :rolleyes:

As an aside I'll be taking a look at your API's to see if I can't whip up my own client at some point, assuming I ever get the time...

Once again gents you have been more than helpful and i'll be honest its helped reassure me my migration was not in vain!

• Like 1

Starkadius

I'd just use the store app but one of my big hangups with plex was a lack of trailer support and the store app doesn't have it yet. The missus needs to see a trailer for a film before she can decide to watch it or not! :rolleyes:

The Win 8.1 modern app currently does have trailer support but as I mentioned in this request it is very easy to miss for new users. I think @@7illusions was on vacation when I posted a couple of requests for the modern app so unfortunately was probably not read.

• Like 1

CBers

Firstly, mybad, I double checked my server settings I had the transcoding quality set to auto but I noticed a checkbox saying allow clients to request upscaled video which was unchecked so when I was increasing the quality before during playback i'm guessing it was doing nothing. I've set the quality to higher and ticked the box and the web client is working well now.

Where's that upscale check button?

Tikuf

It doesn't do anything unless the client is asking for a set height and (or) width most of the clients request maxheight and (or) maxwidth which will return the original size of the video.

celcius

The Win 8.1 modern app currently does have trailer support but as I mentioned in this request it is very easy to miss for new users. I think @@7illusions was on vacation when I posted a couple of requests for the modern app so unfortunately was probably not read.

Awesome, Thanks!

celcius

Tried to paste a screen shot but it beat me. Advanced > Transacoding. Directly under down mix audio boost scale.

Edited by celcius

celcius

What's your dev specialty?

I'm not a dev. I'm a DW Architect. I've obviously had to learn a fair whack of code in my time though. I've written some Windows and WCF services, and some WPF and Windows Mobile apps that are in use in manufacturing companies along with a fair amount of research / POC apps in WF, WPF, XAML, WP8. Generally all MS stack hence my WP8, windows 8.1, Surface etc. IMHO the tide is taking out the apples but time will tell :)

CBers

Tried to paste a screen shot but it beat me. Advanced > Transacoding. Directly under down mix audio boost scale.

Which version of the server are you running as I'm running latest dev and that option isn't there:

Capture865.jpg

I'm running v3.0.5247.129

Edited by CBers

celcius

Yeah I'd love to help out. I'm snowed under until September but I'd be happy to look through the code in the meantime and do whatever I can to help. As I said i'm not a full time developer but anything I could do to improve it would be a pleasure.

celcius

Which version of the server are you running as I'm running latest dev and that option isn't there:

Capture865.jpg

I'm running v3.0.5247.129

Version 3.0.5238.39498

As an aside I'll be taking a look at your API's to see if I can't whip up my own client at some point, assuming I ever get the time...

What's your dev specialty?

I'm not a dev. I'm a DW Architect. I've obviously had to learn a fair whack of code in my time though. I've written some Windows and WCF services, and some WPF and Windows Mobile apps that are in use in manufacturing companies along with a fair amount of research / POC apps in WF, WPF, XAML, WP8. Generally all MS stack hence my WP8, windows 8.1, Surface etc. IMHO the tide is taking out the apples but time will tell :)

Well if you're interested in helping with MB Theater, we could use another wpf developer. We have tasks of all levels available so no matter how advanced we can find something for you.