Cinema mode with an Atmos codec intro

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

I figured I'd make new thread specifically for this. I'm informed that playing a video with an Atmos audio track, cinema mode will play an Atmos codec intro. I have tried every variation I can think of to make this work, but it never does. As Atmos isn't a codec, but metadata, you supposedly need to rely on naming and/or tagging. I have tried naming the folder 'Atmos' and 'Dolby Atmos', with caps and lower case. I have named the file also in the same way. I have tagged the file (see below)

5ca91763705f8_Snapshot_192.jpg

None of this has worked. The intention is to be able to play any audio that has Dolby Atmos metadata, and have it play the corresponding codec intro. With actual codecs, it works as expected. 

Others have said they have made it work.

So I would like someone to tell me, how.

To test, please use a video that has Atmos metadata, other than TrueHD. I used an EAC3. Have only one codec intro folder. Put an Atmos codec intro in it, that has a different audio codec (eg. the intro is TrueHD and the movie is EAC3, but both have Atmos). Configure how you need cinema mode to acknowledge the intro as Atmos. Play the video, and tell me what you did to get the intro to play. 

PenkethBoy

as Atmos and DTS:X are Metadata as you point out

do you need to also tag the movie with Atmos Tags as well?

As ffmpeg does not see/process the metadata and emby is not aware of it either - is it that the match does not take place and the intro does then not play?

Guest asrequested

as Atmos and DTS:X are Metadata as you point out

do you need to also tag the movie with Atmos Tags as well?

As ffmpeg does not see/process the metadata and emby is not aware of it either - is it that the match does not take place and the intro does then not play?

I have it tagged in Emby as the picture shows. But do you mean tag the actual file? When I tried that in it's properties, it wouldn't let me do it. Is there a good tool that will allow me to tag a video. I looked a while back and couldn't find one.

And yes, that would appear to be the case. No intro plays at all.

Edited by Doofus

PenkethBoy

no i meant add tags (in emby via metadata edit) also to the MOVIE

Emby cant see ATMOS as ffmpeg cant - so for it to stand a chance of working you possibly need both the movie and codec (video) to have the same tags

Its just an idea as dont use intro's etc - if emby is using what ffmpeg provides then it may not work

Guest asrequested

Oh I see what you're saying. Tag every video in my archive with Atmos, too. Yikes! I'll test the theory, but that's a massive task, as I have hundreds of episodes with Atmos, too.

PenkethBoy

So if the TAGs dont work i think you are stuck

I assume it works for other codecs?

PenkethBoy

Oh I see what you're saying. Tag every video in my archive with Atmos, too. Yikes! I'll test the theory, but that's a massive task, as I have hundreds of episodes with Atmos, too.

LOL

try a single movie first obviously

Not a massive task just a PIA 

Guest asrequested

LOL

try a single movie first obviously

Not a massive task just a PIA

I think you're probably correct about the tagging. Does the editor allow collective tagging? I've never tried that.

Since you tagged that video as Atmos, did you try placing something like atmos.mkv in your custom intros folder?

Make sure to run a library scan after adding new intro videos

Guest asrequested

Since you tagged that video as Atmos, did you try placing something like atmos.mkv in your custom intros folder?

Make sure to run a library scan after adding new intro videos

It would seem I was confused about what needed to be tagged. I thought I needed to tag the codec intro, not the video. As I don't use tagging for anything, I'm reluctant to go through thousands of videos to add tags. But I'm about to test if this actually works. I suspect it will. But it looks like it won't matter in the end, as I can't collectively tag the videos.

Guest asrequested

Ah, I just found an issue. The codec takes precedence over the tag. So with a trueHD codec intro and Atmos intro, it chooses the codec. I'm glad I didn't start tagging, now. It wouldn't work if I did. I guess I'll just use TrueHD + Atmos intros, and use them exclusively for TrueHD, which will confuse it for movies with only TrueHD. But I'll just accept that.

Guest asrequested

If there were an option to choose the tag as priority, that would work. Possible for a future update?

We could probably just go ahead and give the tag method priority since the only reason you'd be doing that in the first place is because the codec matching isn't sufficient.

Guest asrequested

Is it also known that if you choose a different audio track before playing, that cinema mode still uses the original codec? So if the first audio track is truehd, and you choose dts, it still plays the truehd codec intro.

We could probably just go ahead and give the tag method priority since the only reason you'd be doing that in the first place is because the codec matching isn't sufficient.

Yeah, I think that might work. One thing I'm just thinking of is, what if there were a DTS-X tag and an Atmos tag? How would it respond?

Is it also known that if you choose a different audio track before playing, that cinema mode still uses the original codec? So if the first audio track is truehd, and you choose dts, it still plays the truehd codec intro.

Well yes we don't pass that info to cinema mode at this time, although it's possible for the future. So essentially it's just based on what is in the file.

One thing I'm just thinking of is, what if there were a DTS-X tag and an Atmos tag? How would it respond?

I'd have to check but i think it would match both and then randomize the results.

Guest asrequested

I'd have to check but i think it would match both and then randomize the results.

So that would be a potential hiccup. You wouldn't want it playing a DTS-X intro if you're using Atmos, and vice versa. 

daedalus

you have to do this by hand?

ffprobe is not able to get information for the object based audio type?

mediainfo provides that informations pretty decent

Format profile                           : E-AC-3+Atmos / E-AC-3
Channel(s)                               : 15 objects / 6 channels
Commercial name                          : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Number of dynamic objects                : 15
Format                                   : DTS XLL X
Channel layout                           : Object Based

Guest asrequested

you have to do this by hand?

ffprobe is not able to get information for the object based audio type?

mediainfo provides that informations pretty decent

Format profile                           : E-AC-3+Atmos / E-AC-3
Channel(s)                               : 15 objects / 6 channels
Commercial name                          : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Number of dynamic objects                : 15
Format                                   : DTS XLL X
Channel layout                           : Object Based

No, ffprobe doesn't read the metadata, unfortunately. 

daedalus

:huh: that's a huge drawback, maybe mediainfo should be considered as assistance

only benefits for everyone, including detailed and usefull selfcreated titles

Edited by daedalus