OMV or Unraid?

BAlGaInTl

BAlGaInTl

Okay, so I've been thinking of redoing my server for a while. I've been putting off since life has been busy.

I'm considering moving from OMV with Emby (and other apps) in Docker to Unraid with the same apps in containers.

Basically my server is a couple of shares. Both shares are currently on a RAID5 (software) array. One big share for media, and then a smaller one that my wife and I use for critical files and is backed up offline and offsite. The main system drive is an SSD. I plan on putting in another SSD to serve as the data drive for all my dockers.

My idea was to keep using OMV but then using MergerFS + SnapRaid to pool the drives. Then I started reading about Undraid, and it intrigues me. I'll probably set up a trial of it this weekend just to poke around. It seems like it may be a simpler way to accomplish what I'm going for. It provides many of the benefits of pooling that MergerFS and SnapRaid would, but with what seems to be less hassle.

Can anybody comment on the two? Which way makes more sense? Is there a better solution out there?

These are the Docker containers that I'm currently running:

Watchtower

Heimdall

Emby

Emby Beta

Jellyfin

Jackett

Transmission with VPN

Also running, but as OMV plugins (not in Docker):

OpenVPN - I use this when logging on to open wifi points or to do remote admin on the server

Nginx - Although I've never really gotten this running with a reverse proxy the way I would like

Fail2Ban - Monitors OpenVPN and the Emby log files since those are the only ports open to the outside world

Thoughts? Any input is appreciated.

KMBanana

I set up Unraid recently and have liked it a lot.  It's very easy to setup and change things around and doesn't require much in the way of manual maintenance once it's set up.  

It's linux based and while I have an OK handle on linux I haven't needed it at all.  Basically everything is done through its simple web interface.  

BAlGaInTl

I set up Unraid recently and have liked it a lot.  It's very easy to setup and change things around and doesn't require much in the way of manual maintenance once it's set up.  

It's linux based and while I have an OK handle on linux I haven't needed it at all.  Basically everything is done through its simple web interface.

That's what I was thinking.

I'm certainly comfortable with Linux as I've been running OMV for years now. But moving to a MergerFS + SnapRaid pool from software RAID5 seems a bit more complicated than just running something like unRaid.

BAlGaInTl

I set up a test system with unRaid last night.

I like the interface. It's definitely simpler than OMV. The fact that the license is tied to the USB drive really bugs me.

The built in docket support is definitely a plus. I had Emby up and running quickly. The OMV plugin is a bit easier for me to set up, but that's probably just because I'm used to it's interface.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

KMBanana

The license being tied to the USB isn't a huge deal.  They recognize that they can fail and have setup an automatic process for transferring your license to a new USB drive.  You can only do the automated process once a year, if you have 2 failures in a year you need to contact their support.  Keep a backup of your flashdrive handy though, you can do this through unraid's interface by going to the main tab, clicking your boot device which is probably named Flash and clicking Flash Backup.  Will create and download to your PC a copy of your USB boot drive's config and license.  

• 3 months later...
cptlores

Unraid functionality is very good, but the licence is maybe a bit pricey for what is essentially a web interface for unifying and easy configuration of open source functionality. The stability can also be a bit lacking on certain hardware.

Regarding the USB dongle, it is a very common fallacy thinking that having the OS/license tied to a USB stick is bad. When it is in fact something you will often find used on enterprise grade equipment.

The entire OS is read from the sick to memory on boot, and the USB is only written to sporadically when you make system changes. Meaning the USB stick is unused 99.99% of the time and MUCH less likely to fail then a harddrive. And as mentioned above, it is also much easier to make a backup of a USB stick.

Edited by cptlores

• 4 weeks later...
trusselo

Ive been considering moving emby server from my windows machine to my new (first) unraid server.

I havent been able to find out if its possible to passthrough an AMD Radeon rx570 to emby docker.

I can only find guides on Nvidia.

I already have the AMD card, and I dont like the fact Nvidia has a 2 stream transcode limit.

is it possible to use AMD cards on unraid with dockers?

Edited by trusselo

KMBanana

Ive been considering moving emby server from my windows machine to my new (first) unraid server.

I havent been able to find out if its possible to passthrough an AMD Radeon rx570 to emby docker.

I can only find guides on Nvidia.

I already have the AMD card, and I dont like the fact Nvidia has a 2 stream transcode limit.

is it possible to use AMD cards on unraid with dockers?

I think you'd need to use a VM with the AMD card passed through, as far as I know there is only a plugin for nvidia cards to get it to work with containers.