HDHomeRun and IPv6

pwhodges
Go to solution Solved by pwhodges,

pwhodges

Today I acquired an HDHomeRun Quatro with the intention of replacing my Hauppauge tuner.

When I first plugged it in, Emby saw it, but I then couldn't get it to do anything at all.  Then I found that the setup website said it couldn't see it, and the HomeRun phone/tablet apps (like Emby) saw it, told me its IP address, and then hung.

After a few reboots, changing the switch it was connected to and suchlike, it occurred to me that it might be something to do with IPv6.  My network and ISP run IPv6 alongside IPv4, and have done for nearly five years.  So I disabled IPv6 on the network interface of the machine running Emby.  I found I could then use the browser on that machine to configure the HomeRun, and now Emby sees the device and runs it perfectly.

But why was that necessary?  I have other devices that are IPv4 only, and programs talk to them on IPv4 without a problem, so why can't Emby do that with the HomeRun?  Is the HomeRun actually responding to IPv6 but incorrectly?  I don't want to leave the Emby machine set up differently for ever.

(I have, of course, asked the same question on the Silicon Dust forums.)

• Solution
pwhodges

Hmm; nothing to show now.

This is really weird, but it's not an Emby problem, at least.

Basically, when I first plugged the HDHomeRun in, Emby and the iOS and Android apps could all see it and showed me the (IPv4) address, but then hung.  Meanwhile, the website used for configuring it said it couldn't detect any HomeRun.  When I turned off IPv6, then the website detected it, updated the firmware and let me scan for channels.  After doing that, Emby and the two apps can all access it even when IPv6 is enabled - but the HomeRun website still can't.  I'm taking that up with Silicon Dust.

• Like 1