Ability to edit audio and codec info

jsc1205

jsc1205

Would like the ability to edit the audio and video codec info.  For example would like the ability for the movie to show the correct audio format, such as Atmos or video format such as 4K. 

jsc1205

Hi there, where is the resolution wrong?

The resolution that Emby scraped is not wrong.  I currently have dummy MKV files for all my 4k UHD Bluray movies, which is just a short video to tell the viewer that the disc will be required to watch that particular movie.  (Until I'm able to rip my 4K discs).  So when Emby scrapes the file, it reads it as 1080p.  If the user had the ability to change/correct the audio and video codec data I could just flip it to 4K, lock it and be done with it.

Another question came to mind about this as well.  I do have NFO files for these movies which I did using TinyMediaManager and the NFO files do have it as 4K, Atmos, etc.  So if it would work by using the NFO that would work to.  Question is, what do I need to set my Emby settings at to use the NFO files to scrape the movie??

Right ok, we decided a long time ago not to allow this because we need accurate media info when you go and actually try to play that content. Yes in theory we could have separate media info for display only, but that would add a significant amount of complication.

laie_techie

I currently have dummy MKV files for all my 4k UHD Bluray movies, which is just a short video to tell the viewer that the disc will be required to watch that particular movie.  (Until I'm able to rip my 4K discs).  So when Emby scrapes the file, it reads it as 1080p.  If the user had the ability to change/correct the audio and video codec data I could just flip it to 4K, lock it and be done with it.

Isn't that what Media stubs are for?

jsc1205

Exactly what they are for. :)

If Media Stubs are exactly what this is for, then how do I get Emby to show that the file is 4K, UHD Bluray, Atmos, etc?  I have tried adding these media source flags in the file name and it's not working.

Edited by jsc1205

jsc1205

Stubs should probably support UHD, yeah.

Just tried using this as an example to see if I could get it to work:  "Aquaman (2018).UHD.disc"   Even tried: "Aquaman (2018).UHD.2160p.atmos.disc" and still no audio or video info shows up after scraped.

Just tried using this as an example to see if I could get it to work:  "Aquaman (2018).UHD.disc"   Even tried: "Aquaman (2018).UHD.2160p.atmos.disc" and still no audio or video info shows up after scraped.

That's not something we've implemented to this point.

xiosensei

In my opinion this is a very low priority thing to do. I believe there are more important feature requests that needs to be implemented before this. Also, what is the point of showing information that has not been proven to be correct? As a matter of fact, I believe mediastubs should show no info about the video and audio codec just to distinguish it from real files.

crusher11

Are stubs supposed to indicate that they're stubs? I just tried adding one and it looks exactly like all the actual movies I have, and just throws a generic playback error if I try to play it. There's no indication anywhere that it's a stub before clicking on it, and even after clicking on it the error simply says no stream is available, rather than explaining anything (and the film gets marked as 'watched', even though it clearly hasn't been). So I'm not sure why you'd ever want to do this. Not to mention that the source flags evidently don't affect anything either.

Also when adding both a UHD and Blu-ray of the same film I end up with two listings, not one listing with two versions.

Edited by crusher11

I think it depends on the client you are using.  But STUB support in general is lacking as it's not a popular feature.

Why have an online media server that requires offline media to use it? It kind of goes against the purpose of the media server.

For people that REQUIRE this functionality what I typically show them is to use the stub file but then ALSO edit the META-DATA for the movie.

If for example you just added "Transformers" as a stub then you go in and edit the movie and change the title to:

DVD: Transformers

Blu-ray: Transformers

You can do the same for online content you might have as well.  For example:

Vudu: Transformers

Tubi: Transformers

In a nutshell, change the TITLE of the media to indicate what media or service it's on.

jsc1205

Basically what I have done is created a 15 sec 1080p mkv that when a 4K movie is selected, it plays to tell the user that the disc will need to be used. I'm doing this to include my 4K movies in the library. Of course when the file is scraped it shows as a 1080p movie.

Now using TinyMediaManager and creating a NFO I can edit that info to display UHD Bluray, 2160p, Atmos etc in Kodi, but with Emby or even Plex it's only showing exactly what the actual file is. Unless there is a way for Emby to read only the NFO info for that particular file.

Again I'm only doing this to include the 4K movies in my movie library since I currently do not have the equipment to RIP a UHD bluray. On saying that, if and when I do, does Emby even support 4k with HDR and Dolby Vision?

crusher11

I think it depends on the client you are using.  But STUB support in general is lacking as it's not a popular feature.

Why have an online media server that requires offline media to use it? It kind of goes against the purpose of the media server.

For people that REQUIRE this functionality what I typically show them is to use the stub file but then ALSO edit the META-DATA for the movie.

If for example you just added "Transformers" as a stub then you go in and edit the movie and change the title to:

DVD: Transformers

Blu-ray: Transformers

You can do the same for online content you might have as well.  For example:

Vudu: Transformers

Tubi: Transformers

In a nutshell, change the TITLE of the media to indicate what media or service it's on.

I tried this, adding [DVD], [bD] and [uHD] to the start of titles as appropriate. Added the three 'tags' as words to ignore when sorting in the system.xml file, but it's still sorting them. So it lists all my Blu-rays, then all my DVDs, then all my UHDs, then finally all my online files. Why isn't the system.xml thing working?