Show trailers without having trailers

CBaldwinJ89

CBaldwinJ89

Plex was able to show trailers of movies we had in our collection without owning the trailers. Can we get something like that please? I don't feel like downloading over 1000 trailers just to put trailers in front of my movies. And why aren't the trailers showing up on every device? Is this another setting that needs to be put on every device? If so please fix this redundant setting.

Happy2Play

Some devices are not allowed to play lets say YouTube trailer/links outside the dedicated YouTube app.

Happy2Play

Yes though I know it works, since plex made it work

Just because Plex does something does not mean they are doing it legally.

CBaldwinJ89

Well they are, as I've programmed this before myself for database. You're not taking any copyrights or intellectual property. Especially since YouTube isn't the only source. Also using the correct get request to the correct api would be sufficient. Let it be imdb or YouTube

Happy2Play

OT IMDB does not have a free api so you can not compare to them.  And Roku post have already stated this can not be done legally do to above mentioned reason.  So unless something has changed, it can not legally be done across the board.

Happy2Play

And what about the movie db api? It's been a while since I've used any of the databases.

Sure you can get the YouTube link from TMDB (assuming someone has linked one) but you can not launch that link outside the YouTube app on a Roku.  So the limitations are the rules that apply to the device.  So currently there is no way to apply something like this universally.  

Edited by Happy2Play

moo123

Sure you can get the YouTube link from TMDB (assuming someone has linked one) but you can not launch that link outside the YouTube app on a Roku.  So the limitations are the rules that apply to the device.  So currently there is no way to apply something like this universally.  

maybe the media server could cache the youtube video / transcode it and pass it to the client as one of its own streams.

idk the legality of that, but the main reason for the youtube app is having the youtube branding on the video, so maybe adding a youtube watermark and video url would make a difference?

maybe the media server could cache the youtube video / transcode it and pass it to the client as one of its own streams.

idk the legality of that, but the main reason for the youtube app is having the youtube branding on the video, so maybe adding a youtube watermark and video url would make a difference?

That is against the YouTube terms of use.

BTW - We do not want to imply that Plex is breaking any sort of terms with their feature (as a user may have done previously).  We believe Plex has a paid source for the content they provide.  They are moving towards more content provider and less personal media.