Universal settings

CBaldwinJ89

CBaldwinJ89

Can we get admin settings to have universal settings for every device. So if I want my movies to show as thumbnails on every device I set that in my admin panel. Same with how the home page display looks and the theme is. So all settings are all universal and not having to change them every single time.

• Like 7

unisoft

Hi, yes this is something we need to improve, thanks.

Like Microsoft GPO - Computer (all) or user

or simply PREFERENCE or MANDATORY tick boxes for each type of setting?

Happy2Play

Would be nice but every client/app is not created equally.

CBaldwinJ89

I'm not quite sure what different clients have anything to do with what I'm talking about? Because as ive seen every client I've used I had to go back and do the same redundancy for settings.

Display of movies as in poster, or thumbs

Or theme ( Dark with green, dark with red)

Home screen display vertical or horizontal

None of which I see any issue with client differentiation. And it's so so so simple to put an if statement in the coding. I don't see what becomes difficult on that end

Happy2Play

Well some of those settings are per client and are cached information.  i.e. the browser,  Edge and Chrome these are set on the client not by the server.  And clearing the browser cache removes these settings.

Not every client/app has a display vertical or horizontal.  So universal can not apply as every client is not the same.

CBaldwinJ89

So what would it take to beta it? Especially if it does allow that look? I know android doesn't, but pc and Xbox does. I'm not sure on roku yet. I think with an admin panel we should have more control. I made the switch from plex to emby for this reason, and so far it's ok. Though I think having some sort of universal settings to which whatever clients allow should be activated so we can control this.

For one some of the settings show you movies better then others do. Which is a crying shame honestly.

Well the theme is by design, but if you can point out any others we'll take a look.

Yes, some of those settings you may want to be different based on the app/environment.  For instance, you may want a different theme in your darkened movie room than you do on your phone on the train.

CBaldwinJ89

Well that's fine and dandy, but I still think it would be nice to have a baseline. And if I don't like it in a different client I can change that one client instead of 5. That's the difference guys that no one is seeing.

Most of the client based settings should be universal, with easy conditional statements if they aren't supported per se. Because I don't mind changing a seeing once or twice, but 5 of 6 times is absurd

The way we store these settings needs to be revamped, and that's not likely to happen in the short term.

However, between now and then we can still fix any settings you're finding that are not unified from app to app. Have you noticed any others?

• Like 1

CBaldwinJ89

The way the movies look, so you have the option for thumbnails or poster etc. I love the look of thumbnail.

The horizontal vs vertical setting. Horizontal is more pleasant as it gives more visual aspects.

Which folders to show on the home screen.

Show background art (I think that's what it's called)

Remove movies already seen from home screen.

Which section to go into when entering from the homescreen ( I.e. suggested, all movies, favorites, folders)

Also is there a way to remove the entire category listed as folders? And where do I go to report bugs

And where do I go to report bugs 

To the section of the community for the app you are using, or the server section for server problems. Thanks !

Which folders to show on the home screen.

Remove movies already seen from home screen.

Which section to go into when entering from the homescreen ( I.e. suggested, all movies, favorites, folders)

Those are all already shared across apps - for apps that have the "tabbed" presentation style (Roku, for instance, does not yet).

The way the movies look, so you have the option for thumbnails or poster etc. I love the look of thumbnail.

The horizontal vs vertical setting. Horizontal is more pleasant as it gives more visual aspects.

Show background art (I think that's what it's called)

Some of those behaviors are specific to each app.  Also, the background setting, for instance, exists for the purpose of being able to limit data that has to travel across a wire when remote so that is something that you may want to have different in each app instance even.

It would be nice to have a set of "defaults" for everything but then it gets a bit complex to maintain.  Where are those defaults edited?  Which app is "king"?  How do people discover the defaults and properly adjust them.  etc.

CBaldwinJ89

Hey ebr doesn't seem to be universal to me, everytime I set up a new user I have to redo all the settings for them as well. Etc. It becomes old and tiring.

Luke the bug is generalized it seems to be for all the apps. It's the collection manager, it shows the same movie four times on the graphic tab. Same for genres same mobile four times. Instead of a different movie.

Hey ebr doesn't seem to be universal to me, everytime I set up a new user I have to redo all the settings for them as well. 

Well, yes, these are user-specific settings...  Maybe some of these other users want their presentation to be different than you do...

CBaldwinJ89

Ok so maybe the topic at hand showed be making default settings universal for users in the admin as well. Or even just for users. I like having my controls in the admin panel it feels better. Or even another option while changing settings in the admins account to set this setting to all users as well?

• 2 months later...
Happy2Play

Ok so maybe the topic at hand showed be making default settings universal for users in the admin as well. Or even just for users. I like having my controls in the admin panel it feels better. Or even another option while changing settings in the admins account to set this setting to all users as well?

This would fall under the User template feature requests.

• 3 months later...
runtimesandbox

Had started another topic as didn't find this when searching for global settings (universal makes sense now) - just here to add my +1

I really don't like the default layout that emby comes up with for the home screen (ie layout of "my media" and the ordering ie Live TV appears over latest media) and reconfigure this. I then end up doing this on all devices / users.

Could we get the option to set a global default layout / homescreen setup that is applied to all users / devices they log in on?

The option for them to change as they like can still be there (however I find very few if any do actually change it)

Edited by spudd

miniliQuid

Thought we already had a topic like this.

Can no longer find it though, but I am sure it also had a discussion on user groups & saving a certain user/lay-out so it's easier to create another user.

Anyway +1 to this as well!

Thought we already had a topic like this.

Can no longer find it though, but I am sure it also had a discussion on user groups & saving a certain user/lay-out so it's easier to create another user.

Anyway +1 to this as well!

FR: copy user / user templates

But that was oriented more around user configuration and access as opposed to app presentation settings.

runtimesandbox

It kind of applies to both doesn't it?

Have a "default" profile option that an admin can configure for profile settings and layout settings

dannymichel

this isn't quite what i was referring to.

not close actually in https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78242-globally-disable-my-media-andor-my-media-images-for-all-users/&do=findComment&comment=794552

it would make sense if the option at all existed to become a 'universal setting'

the options to disable 'me media' thumbnails doesnt exist.

this isn't quite what i was referring to.

not close actually in https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78242-globally-disable-my-media-andor-my-media-images-for-all-users/&do=findComment&comment=794552

it would make sense if the option at all existed to become a 'universal setting'

the options to disable 'me media' thumbnails doesnt exist.

Perhaps if you explain your reasoning/main goal for your request, we can help clarify.

Thanks.