Please consider to provide app streaming for free like Plex

nruth

I just switched to Emby because Plex prevented my NAS from going to sleep.

Emby works great except that  Plex allows me to share videos that I have of my kids, to my family who lives abroad. With Emby I require to pay premium service.

I might pay in future for premium service, but so far I still explore it. pity that Plex gives this for free but Emby not.

Please do consider to change this so you can really compete with Plex.

I'm so sure that when more people like me will switch to Emby, then people will choose to go premium.

A client for computers can also be great.

BTW current client need some adjustment to make pin it to the task bar on windows. (although I work mostly with Mac)

I hope you will get my feedback on the positive side, as I'm not trying to criticise at all! I really appreciate you're great work. was great if I could donate once for your project like to open source which is something that I normally do for free/freemium solutions.

Thanks in advance.

Spaceboy

I just switched to Emby because Plex prevented my NAS from going to sleep.

Emby works great except that Plex allows me to share videos that I have of my kids, to my family who lives abroad. With Emby I require to pay premium service.

I might pay in future for premium service, but so far I still explore it. pity that Plex gives this for free but Emby not.

Please do consider to change this so you can really compete with Plex.

I'm so sure that when more people like me will switch to Emby, then people will choose to go premium.

A client for computers can also be great.

BTW current client need some adjustment to make pin it to the task bar on windows. (although I work mostly with Mac)

I hope you will get my feedback on the positive side, as I'm not trying to criticise at all! I really appreciate you're great work. was great if I could donate once for your project like to open source which is something that I normally do for free/freemium solutions.

Thanks in advance.

theres a donate once option, it costs $119
  • Like 2

Happy2Play

Sorry I don't understand why you can't share and stream now.

dzevel5

theres a donate once option, it costs $119

Exactly. I'd love to donate, but $119 is more like a license fee. it was great if I could set how much I can donate, like most donation.

@@Happy2Play,

For a long time I use to have Plex installed on my mother PC (client) while I share videos of my family to her from my Plex server.

Emby require to pay Premiere in order to use the client and watch video from remote.

it will be great if you can allow people to use the client rather than relying on the browser, which is not working smooth enough as with a dedicated player.

Deathsquirrel

it will be great if you can allow people to use the client rather than relying on the browser, which is not working smooth enough as with a dedicated player.

It is great.  It's so great you have to pay for that on most clients.  They ARE running a business here.

If you want free use a browser or Kodi as your client devices.  Those work with Emby and don't require any payment for media playback.

dzevel5

Like I said, I’m not criticising here. And I’m surely don’t force anyone. But there is a competition and I just suggest here...

I thought this is the place to request and bring up ideas...

But thanks anyway.

arrbee99

Just some comments as an ordinary user -

You said that Emby works great, and thats on a Mac ? so its set up OK ?

Emby does need Premiere for a lot of stuff, but as mentioned you can use a web browser or Kodi. Another possibility is Ember for Emby which I think is maybe $5, though I think they're working on an updated version of that.

Also you could look at the feature matrix to see if anyone has a device that could be used for full playback under a one off app purchase possibly ?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Emby-Premiere-Feature-Matrix

dzevel5

Yes it works locally to my LG tv which has some issue to pull subtitles, not sure what is the root cause though, but if this is the only issue, I'm very impressed.

Yes I understand that there are some other options my friend, however I do think that the remote app will make Emby a better solution than others. - my opinion that I wish developers will consider.

dzevel5

If all other options were for money.

Unfortunately, Plex have a good reputation and they offer quite the same with more free features. again - I'm not criticising, not complaining... just ask the developer to consider this. that's all guys...

Anyway I'll give it some time, if it will work as expected and Emby will survive the competition, then I'll buy the lifetime license which is something I much prefer than subscription- especially because it's just for client and a service of P2P streaming and not something that use the provider resources such cloud etc.

Thanks for all members telling me how it should be or what should I think, I appreciate it. but I think that the subject of this forum is for request, and this is my request.

if the developer will decide to ignore/decline my request / feedback, I'm totally fine with it. 

Edited by dzevel5

Spaceboy

If all other options were for money.

Unfortunately, Plex have a good reputation and they offer quite the same with more free features. again - I'm not criticising, not complaining... just ask the developer to consider this. that's all guys...

Anyway I'll give it some time, if it will work as expected and Emby will survive the competition, then I'll buy the lifetime license which is something I much prefer than subscription- especially because it's just for client and a service of P2P streaming and not something that use the provider resources such cloud etc.

Thanks for all members telling me how it should be or what should I think, I appreciate it. but I think that the subject of this forum is for request, and this is my request.

if the developer will decide to ignore/decline my request / feedback, I'm totally fine with it.

you are a funny guy. Although unintentionally I think.

Pick any other product in the world, approach the manufacturer and tell them, “I love your product but how about you make it free”

See what reaction you get. Please post the responses back here to continue this thread of comedy.

dzevel5

you are a funny guy. Although unintentionally I think.

Pick any other product in the world, approach the manufacturer and tell them, “I love your product but how about you make it free”

See what reaction you get. Please post the responses back here to continue this thread of comedy.

Not sure what is your problem, you just want bushing people suggesting things on a public forum? except your avatar, I don't see anything funny here.

or you just don't understand what I've written? I know that my English might be a bit funny, but surely you should understand it

Spceboy, lets try again, I'll simplify it for your:

1. I didn't ask for the developer to work for free

2. I didn't ask for Emby to be free hence I didn't ask to switch from freemium to totally free

3. I know that I can use other free solutions. yes I am aware, thank you so much for grant me permission to do so. (hmmm... others suggested too, and yes I KNOW!!!)

3. I didn't force anyone to do anything

4. This is a feature request subject of forum - that's why I asked for a client. just like the competitors which provide it for free even though they do have premium (which I was subscribed to)

5. I've just suggested the developer to consider it. which means, it's a feedback, suggestion, advice, request. I didn't try to criticise, or anything negative! purely just wanted to ask.

If that's not clear enough and you still have some nasty negative, please save it for yourself if you can, because it will be really irrelevant and inappropriate.

If you don't like my topic you are more than invited not to comment on it. this is my feedback on a public forum. This is my opinion, respect that. you don't have to agree with me... 

Thank you.

for your question, yes I have done this many times. 

some response with negative answer and few with positive. if you've never tried, then how come you already know what will be the behaviour of all companies in the world?...  :wacko:

No company so far have laughed at me. what company will do something stupid as this?

Especially this is a startup and there is a forum for requests. well, this is my request. please offer solution that can better compete with your competitors. not asking to work for free (see above again if you didn't get it)

I'm confused, isn't remote streaming already available on the free tier?

At the beginning I didn't know that remote available using the browser. but I think it will be great (for Emby and users) to provide PC/Mac client as well. Plex have it.. and yes I am aware that I can switch to plex or other open source...

Edited by dzevel5

Spaceboy

I have to say the humour has gone down hill from the first post. Like so many shows it started out with promise but had little substance with which to follow through on

• Like 2

dzevel5

Open Emby, watch some comedy film with a friend and have some fun instead of trying to lough on people writing on forums.

Happy2Play

All of this can be done via a browser.  OP wants different free app/client.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

arrbee99

Nothing wrong with the OP's ideas, though would just suggest that using a browser in full screen mode looks quite nice. I think you could cast to a TV as well, but never tried it.

I changed the title of this topic because it was misleading.

We do not require Premiere or other payment to stream remotely.

The OP wants all apps to be free.

KarlDag

It's free in the browser and the android app can be unlocked for about 5$... Just use Plex if you can't spare 5$.

unisoft

I changed the title of this topic because it was misleading.

We do not require Premiere or other payment to stream remotely.

The OP wants all apps to be free.

People always seem to think stuff should be free. No issue with paying as long as there is a perpetual option, its within reason and perpetual isn't really just a year and there are not draconian activation and low device limits! $119 is well worth it.

The devs do hard work, they respond really quickly on the forums and there **IS** a LOT of technical info and issues for them to combat delivering compatibility of media to various devices that come along all the time.

Windows Media Center was brilliant, but Microsoft "supported" it on a PC - no mac client, no mobile or tablet versions (unless Tablet running Windows), no smart tv apps.

Because this stuff takes so much time in design, research, dev and test, I don't think it should be free BUT as I said first line applies.

• Like 4

Deathsquirrel

People always seem to think stuff should be free. No issue with paying as long as there is a perpetual option, its within reason and perpetual isn't really just a year and there are not draconian activation and low device limits! $119 is well worth it.

The devs do hard work, they respond really quickly on the forums and there **IS** a LOT of technical info and issues for them to combat delivering compatibility of media to various devices that come along all the time.

Windows Media Center was brilliant, but Microsoft "supported" it on a PC - no mac client, no mobile or tablet versions (unless Tablet running Windows), no smart tv apps.

Because this stuff takes so much time in design, research, dev and test, I don't think it should be free BUT as I said first line applies.

They also always think the stuff THEY use are the bits that should be free.  Sure, not everything should be free, just the parts I need...

CBaldwinJ89

Difference between plex is that plex is free everything basically except when you pay you get some added features such as user creation, live tv, premium music,cinema extras like behind the scenes and trailers.

With emby all you get is the local stream. Then with premium you unlock all that stuff. But I switched because of the forums here, the better look and feel of the ui and ux. The ability to change themes.

I was already paying $5 a month so I didn't care.

crusher11

It's free in the browser and the android app can be unlocked for about 5$... Just use Plex if you can't spare 5$.

The Plex Android app isn't free either.