Organising Movies That Start With "The"

Konsider
Go to solution Solved by daedalus,

Konsider

It would be good if we had the ability to list movies that start with “The” by the letter “T”.

For example, currently a movie called “The Howling” will be listed among the “H” movies, but can we at least give people the option to list it among the “T” movies please.

The reason for this is to have parity with how movies are organised within folders on your PC.

• Solution
daedalus

you already have the option, it's just not in the UI

just edit the section

<SortRemoveWords>

in this file

...\Emby-Server\programdata\config\system.xml

as you like

• Like 2

Konsider

you already have the option, it's just not in the UI

just edit the section

<SortRemoveWords>

in this file

...\Emby-Server\programdata\config\system.xml

as you like

Awesome my friend, many thanks for that! :)

Deathsquirrel

It would be good *an atrocity* if we had the ability to list movies that start with “The” by the letter “T”.

FTFY :)

darkassassin07

Your only problem with that solution is everytime you update the server that change will be overwritten I believe.

• Like 1

Konsider

Your only problem with that solution is everytime you update the server that change will be overwritten

Yep, also, I can't seem to get it it to sort correctly even after making those changes to the system file. It still shows the old way of sorting, but I am sure it is just something I am doing wrong.

PenkethBoy

You might have to refresh your items as the change is IIRC not retroactive - to check add a new movie with a The... title and see if it ends up in the T's

Edited by PenkethBoy
  • Like 1

Konsider

You might have to refresh your items as the change is IIRC not retroactive - to check add a new movie with a The... title and see if it ends up in the T's

Thanks, yep, the problem was the "not retroactive" thing. I had to completely remove the library and add it again for it to work.

daedalus

Your only problem with that solution is everytime you update the server that change will be overwritten I believe.

no they don't, system.xml won't be touched by any update

and sadly @PenkethBoy is right, just tested, it only works for new items :blink:

sry didn't know that this thing is working this way now

only set this up once for myself in the "ancient times", but can't remember that it worked that way :unsure:

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

It because there are two sort fields in the DB and was the same in 3.* as well as 4.*

SortName and ForecedSortName 

SortName is based on the name of the item - when first added - taking into account system.xml settings

ForcedSortName - is only filled in if you change the "SortName" Field in the Edit metadata screen to override the sorting of your items

• Like 1

It because there are two sort fields in the DB and was the same in 3.* as well as 4.*

SortName and ForecedSortName 

SortName is based on the name of the item - when first added - taking into account system.xml settings

ForcedSortName - is only filled in if you change the "SortName" Field in the Edit metadata screen to override the sorting of your items

Yes this is correct.