Can't download over WAN connection

computerprep

computerprep

Why might I not be able to download or sync over WAN/remote connection for either Android or iOS app? Streaming works great and I can download through web browser, which I understand works a bit differently.

Not sure when it broke, but I was just alerted to it today. Stable release server v4.0.3.0. apps don't download on either beta or stable.

Download progress (after conversion) hangs at 0% until I get home and connect to WiFi, then it begins automatically as desired.

Apache https auto rewrite on web browser. Apps connect directly to https hostname. SSL cert handled by reverse proxy.

I'm about to rotate my logs and run a test to upload results.

Edited by computerprep

It's possible that the download process is not trusting your SSL cert. We offload the downloading to the Android or iOS device to handle, meaning it doesn't happen with our own code. Therefore you'll need to make sure to have a certificate that those devices will trust.

computerprep

It is an official Let's Encrypt certificate. That's fully trusted by every web browser I've used.

Not self signed or anything.

Edit: and if that was the case, would that also interfere with downloading or streaming through the web browser? The lock icon in the URL bar shows a trusted certificate in Chrome and such.

Edit 2: If my reverse proxy handles the ssl, is it best for that to connect to the secure or insecure port? Not sure if this would affect it. Tried it both ways so far.

Edit 3: Installed my pfx (source cert valid until June) to my Android phone. No change on downloading over WAN.

Edited by computerprep

computerprep

@@Luke, regarding your certificate suggestion. If I connect via a hostname that is not listed on my cert, the app prompts me to accept the certificate. Like this screenshot here.

post-1756-0-15130300-1554226768_thumb.png

In my endless testing over the past few days, I accepted this mismatched certificate, and downloads worked flawlessly. Then I disconnected from that hostname connection and re-connected to my permanent hostname that is listed on the cert. Downloads continued to work on both LAN and WAN.

I tested this again today by uninstalling the app, restarting my device, reinstalling the app... and once again ran into stalled downloads until I briefly connected via a different hostname. Is there some process the app goes through to trust that mismatched cert that it skips when the hostname matches?

I tried repeating these steps on an iOS device, and it doesn't even want to allow the connection via mismatched hostname. Can't remember exactly what it said now, but something about the server not being available or not connecting at all.