benaus

benaus

Hi All,

Running:

Windows Server 2012 R2

Emby Server 4.0.3.0

Behind a PFSENSE router

Recently set up Emby Server on Windows after a long relationship with Linux

I had setup a reverse proxy with NGINX but decided on trying a direct connection to the server rather than through the RP

I have forwarded port 8096 on my router and made the required changes in the Windows Firewall

Unfortunately I am unable to access the server remotely

The logs in the router suggest the connection is being forwarded, the STATES status does show the connection being forwarded to the correct server

I also checked the connections on the server using the 'netstat' command and can see the server receiving the remote connection but it appears that the port isn't available

​I also tested with Wireshark on the server, my knowledge is limited in the field but I could see the external IP request landing on the server

Logs for Windows Firewall haven't told me much but I also tested turning the Windows Firewall off for Domain, Private and Public and tested again. Unfortunately that also didn't seem to work

I tried with a Plex installation that I was using for remote access and that seems to forward fine

I have disabled all Secure Connection configs, as far as I know, in order to test unsecured just to make sure everything is working prior to setting up secure connections, SSL and the like

Do external connection requests show in the logs? I couldn't see any but I may be wrong

I have been looking into this for a while now and a fresh pair of eyes could help

I really appreciate the help

Ben

PS - Before I attach logs I just want to make sure no private info is contained. If someone could give me a heads up in regards to that I would appreciate it

Edit: I have checked the Connection Troubleshooting Wiki

Edited by benaus

arche

I guess the first question is, under advanced, do you have "Allow remote connections to this Emby Server" enabled?

benaus

I guess the first question is, under advanced, do you have "Allow remote connections to this Emby Server" enabled?

Yes I have that setting enabled

(I have sent this from mobile, accidentally marked your reply as answer. Did reverse the mistake)

rbjtech

'Secure connection mode' in Emby set correctly ?

NATing on PFSense correctly set ?   You said you are getting the external IP in (good) but does it have a return address - do you see it LEAVE your firewall ?

If you post the log - just start a new one by restarting Emby and then just search for your WAN IP/DNS name in a txt editor and remove it - other than that there should be no other private info in there.

Yes external WAN IP's (from Clients) will show in the main log as http(s) requests.

Edited by rbjtech

benaus

'Secure connection mode' in Emby set correctly ?

NATing on PFSense correctly set ?   You said you are getting the external IP in (good) but does it have a return address - do you see it LEAVE your firewall ?

If you post the log - just start a new one by restarting Emby and then just search for your WAN IP/DNS name in a txt editor and remove it - other than that there should be no other private info in there.

Yes external WAN IP's (from Clients) will show in the main log as http(s) requests.

I am sorry for the lateness of my reply, working at a regional site and data access is flakey at best!!

Everything seems to be setup correctly on the PFSENSE side of things

I have other services running without issue and I did test a Plex install on the same server and that was accessible. I will be phasing Plex out

I will grab a log and upload it today

benaus

Are you able to connect with other devices on the local network?

Hi Luke,

Yes I am

Local access is no issue

I mentioned to rbjtech that I will upload my Emby log today when I get the chance

benaus

I am probably missing something very simple!!

I have attached logs from Emby Server as well as some log snippets from PFSENSE showing the STATES as well as netstat

I have completed these with Emby and the Plex install that I am getting rid of

I also included a screenshot of the Advanced settings on the Emby server, I have removed domain and certs as well as setting secure connections to Disabled

Many thanks for your help

(Like I said earlier, I am probably missing something so simple I will look like an idiot  :) )

Edit: some > something, grammar correction

logs_28032019_1054AM.zip

Emby_network_logs.txt

post-177169-0-77758900-1553736638_thumb.jpg

Plex_network_logs.txt

Edited by benaus

Happy2Play

I don't know much about automatic port mapping, I always manually configure port forwarding.  Using the ip in the log, port 8096 reports closed and 8443 shows open.  Have you tried manually port forwarding the port?

benaus

I don't know much about automatic port mapping, I always manually configure port forwarding.  Using the ip in the log, port 8096 reports closed and 8443 shows open.  Have you tried manually port forwarding the port?

I have manually set port forwarding on the router side

I have tested with Automatic Port Mapping disabled in the Advanced settings within the Emby Server as well

I was wondering which log showed port 8443 as open? I can't seem to see it

Or where you referring to the screenshot?

I have just tried going directly to the external IP address and port that's been forwarded

Happy2Play

I have manually set port forwarding on the router side

I have tested with Automatic Port Mapping disabled in the Advanced settings within the Emby Server as well

I was wondering which log showed port 8443 as open? I can't seem to see it

Or where you referring to the screenshot?

I have just tried going directly to the external IP address and port that's been forwarded

I took the ip in your network log above and put it into "https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/"with the corresponding port.

benaus

I took the ip in your network log above and put it into "https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/"with the corresponding port.

Now this is very interesting

When I check the router logs it shows it is trying to forward that 8443 port to port 8920 on the Emby Server, yet I see no NAT rules allowing this

Maybe it something weird in PFSENSE that I will have to check further, I might try and check through CLI if there is some setting that isn't showing up in the web GUI

rbjtech

8920 is the default local and WAN SSL port for Emby - so for the moment, I would set your PFSENSE port forward from WAN > 192.168.0.175 on TCP 8920 and change Emby to match (keeping the mapping the same) + turn off Auto Map.

Also rookie mistake which I'm sure you haven't made - but for testing, ensure you use the :8920 at the end of the URL if testing in a browser ..  ;)

If you do want to use 8443, then in Emby, I suggest you change them BOTH (https internally and map) to be 8443 (plus changes in PFSENSE obviously).

rbjtech

Now this is very interesting

When I check the router logs it shows it is trying to forward that 8443 port to port 8920 on the Emby Server, yet I see no NAT rules allowing this

Maybe it something weird in PFSENSE that I will have to check further, I might try and check through CLI if there is some setting that isn't showing up in the web GUI

It would be because it's trying to translate the PORT from 8443 to 8920 as that is what Emby is listening on (according to your screen grab).  Keep them the same as it's a simpler configuration.

benaus

It would be because it's trying to translate the PORT from 8443 to 8920 as that is what Emby is listening on (according to your screen grab).  Keep them the same as it's a simpler configuration.

The issue was that there was no NAT rule in PFSENSE allowing traffic on port 8443, there had been a long time ago but that had been removed

I have gone through config files on PFSENSE and restarted the router and now the port is in fact closed

I will start everything from scratch and see what comes out of it. I will update this post later tonight/in the morning once I have completed the config on Emby and PFSENSE

benaus

Sorry I haven't responded for a while, working out at rural sites and connection is spotty at best!!

I reinstalled Emby server on Windows and ran a fresh library

Setup remote access and noticed an issue in pfsense that wasn't clearing firewall changes

Reset the configs manually in pfsense and all seems to be working

Not able to give a reason beyond the pfsense issue

Thanks everyone for your help

• Like 1