Categorizing in Mixed Content library

TheShanMan

TheShanMan

I have a "videos" library for general videos (not tv, not movies) which is a hodge podge of random stuff but I also have several categories of related videos that I'd like the user to have to drill into in order to see those videos. "Folder view" would be how I'd go about it except it's made up of content on 2 different hard drives and folder view doesn't combine the content from the 2 drives. Is there a good way to do this, or is this a feature which could be added?

I saw https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/13144-combine-two-folders-into-one-virtual-folder/ which would certainly solve it but nothing came of that.

Here's kinda what I'm after given these files:

C:\Videos\video1.mkv

C:\Videos\category1\video2.mkv

C:\Videos\category1\video3.mkv

C:\Videos\category2\video4.mkv

C:\Videos\category2\video5.mkv

D:\Videos\video6.mkv

D:\Videos\category1\video7.mkv

D:\Videos\category1\video8.mkv

D:\Videos\category2\video9.mkv

D:\Videos\category2\video10.mkv

...becomes in Emby's videos view, be it "folder view" or whatever...

category 1

category 2

video1

video6

then when you drill into category 1 you get...

video2

video3

video7

video8

or when you drill into category 2 you get...

video4

video5

video9

video10

That will be tricky. A couple possible options would be:

• Reorganize files so that category 1 is all on the same drive, same for category 2
  • Or makes Category 1 and Category 2 separate emby libraries, each with two folders inside

TheShanMan

Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as the picture I painted. It's multiple layers deep and more than just the 2 categories. I got into this mess because I read that symlinks can be problematic and was experiencing problems that seemed to match what I read about. I used to use symlinks to create the right structure in a single folder which worked great, but now I'm using hardlinks which can't cross over onto another drive.