Remote access

Leyst

d21mike

In the settings look under Expert Advanced for Port numbers.

If you do not want/need SSL you can port forward 8096 to you Synology Box.  I assume that would work.

But I wanted to use SSL and this forum topic was really helpful:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58980-how-to-secure-emby/?hl=ssl&do=findComment&comment=577889

I am using 8921 like it discusses here with a Reverse Proxy in Synology after creating an SSL Certificate for my DNS in Synology that I use for access to my home network.

Hi there, have you checked out our Connectivity wiki?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Connectivity

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks. !

Thanks Luke, I think its something I have to do on the NAS itself. 

In the settings look under Expert Advanced for Port numbers.

If you do not want/need SSL you can port forward 8096 to you Synology Box.  I assume that would work.

But I wanted to use SSL and this forum topic was really helpful:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58980-how-to-secure-emby/?hl=ssl&do=findComment&comment=577889

I am using 8921 like it discusses here with a Reverse Proxy in Synology after creating an SSL Certificate for my DNS in Synology that I use for access to my home network.

I have port forwarded 8096 under External access - config - (it says name: emby server : Local port 8096 and then router port. but that dosent do it. 

Do I have to do it somewhere else? 

d21mike

Thanks Luke, I think its something I have to do on the NAS itself. 

I have port forwarded 8096 under External access - config - (it says name: emby server : Local port 8096 and then router port. but that dosent do it. 

Do I have to do it somewhere else? 

Luke gave you a link where it talks about port forwarding at the bottom.  You need to follow that and update your "Router", not in Emby or Synology.  I have not read it because I am very familiar with port forwarding in routers.  If this is a first for you and that link does not help then you may need to google port forwarding for your brand of Router.  Once you get that working, you need to test it from the outside (like maybe on your Phone from cellular) go do this Web URL:  http://your_home_ipaddress:8096.

Luke gave you a link where it talks about port forwarding at the bottom.  You need to follow that and update your "Router", not in Emby or Synology.  I have not read it because I am very familiar with port forwarding in routers.  If this is a first for you and that link does not help then you may need to google port forwarding for your brand of Router.  Once you get that working, you need to test it from the outside (like maybe on your Phone from cellular) go do this Web URL:  http://your_home_ipaddress:8096.

I already did all of that for my server on my pc which works. 

Currently I'm trying to make it work from the NAS

d21mike

I already did all of that for my server on my pc which works. 

Currently I'm trying to make it work from the NAS

Oh.  So you are port forwarding 8096 to your PC?  If so, you can not use the same port for your NAS.  You have to pick a different one.

In you router you can use external port  8097 (example) to forward to internal port 8096 on your NAS.

Oh.  So you are port forwarding 8096 to your PC?  If so, you can not use the same port for your NAS.  You have to pick a different one.

In you router you can use external port  8097 (example) to forward to internal port 8096 on your NAS.

I just tried to use the external as 8097 and internal as 8096

and 8921 external to 8920 internal. but didnt work. 

I bet im doing something wrong on the synology part 

d21mike

I just tried to use the external as 8097 and internal as 8096

and 8921 external to 8920 internal. but didnt work. 

I bet im doing something wrong on the synology part 

8921 is much more complicated then 8097.  You would need to setup a ssl certificate and reverse proxy based on my original post.  If you have not done that then do not worry about 8921.  Sounds like you PC is simply port forwarding 8096 without SSL as well.  You could change the 8096 to forward to the NAS instead of the PC as a test.

Maybe you did not forward 8097 to 8096 properly.  Take link Luke gave you shows how to verify it is open.

8921 is much more complicated then 8097.  You would need to setup a ssl certificate and reverse proxy based on my original post.  If you have not done that then do not worry about 8921.  Sounds like you PC is simply port forwarding 8096 without SSL as well.  You could change the 8096 to forward to the NAS instead of the PC as a test.

Maybe you did not forward 8097 to 8096 properly.  Take link Luke gave you shows how to verify it is open.

The PC one is not protected with SSL that is correct. I will try to make a SSL and reverse proxy and get back to you guys and see if that works.

Thanks for the info

d21mike

The PC one is not protected with SSL that is correct. I will try to make a SSL and reverse proxy and get back to you guys and see if that works.

Thanks for the info

To be clear SSL is a good thing but like the PC 8096 it should not be required.

To be clear SSL is a good thing but like the PC 8096 it should not be required.

This is how ive set it up. (This is without the reverse proxy)

5c955b5136905_rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.jp

d21mike

This is how ive set it up. (This is without the reverse proxy)

5c955b5136905_rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.jp

Interesting.  I do not use the router in DSM.  When I said Router I was talking about the Main Router for your house.  Assuming you have a main router for your house did you put the DSM in the DMZ?  I.E. All traffic goes from the main router to the DSM?  Anyway, just curious at this point.

Edited by d21mike

Interesting.  I do not use the router in DSM.  When I said Router I was talking about the Main Router for your house.  Assuming you have a main router for your house did you put the DSM in the DMZ?  I.E. All traffic goes from the main router to the DSM?  Anyway, just curious at this point.

This is the main Router. The DMZ is off. 

Not sure if this could cause an issue as well, maybe Luke can answer. When I login to my server on my PC I have 1 server, when I try to use the same login on my NAS for emby it logs me into another server (the new one i created for the NAS) but when I use the WAN on my phone browser it redirects me to the one on my PC. 

So I have 2x servers on the same WAN. On the emby app i can choose server A or B and locally it works fine. 

Edited by Leyst

CChris

ok.
so, let's try to focussing again on your setup.
Can you please show us some screenshots and provide some information about your network setup?

Screenshots from your Router Configuration / Portforwariding rules
IP Address of your Synology NAS

You don't really need to setup "router configuration" in your NAS...

Step 1:
Decide, which port you want to use from outside your Network.

e.g. Port 8097

Then, setup the portforwarding Rule in your Router as the following:

Port 8097 TCP/IP To: YourNasIP Port:8096

in Theory, this should be everything you need, to make your Emby available from outside your Network.
But: It does not use any sequre connection!

This would require some additional configuration. 

ok.

so, let's try to focussing again on your setup.

Can you please show us some screenshots and provide some information about your network setup?

Screenshots from your Router Configuration / Portforwariding rules

IP Address of your Synology NAS

You don't really need to setup "router configuration" in your NAS...

Step 1:

Decide, which port you want to use from outside your Network.

e.g. Port 8097

Then, setup the portforwarding Rule in your Router as the following:

Port 8097 TCP/IP To: YourNasIP Port:8096

in Theory, this should be everything you need, to make your Emby available from outside your Network.

But: It does not use any sequre connection!

This would require some additional configuration. 

Hopefully this gives a better picture of what I've done. Maybe you will be able to see an error that I cant figure out. Let me know if that's the wrong pictures. 

5c9562133b729_nasss.jpg

So I just tested through the browser on my iphone again with 4G (the wan ip) and it works, but it wont work through emby theater.

CChris

Ok, thanks.
I will come back to this later today - What I just noticed: That you have configured several portforwarding rules to "Emby" which aren't the IP of your NAS.
Is Emby running on your NAS or on another computer?

d21mike

Ok, thanks.

I will come back to this later today - What I just noticed: That you have configured several portforwarding rules to "Emby" which aren't the IP of your NAS.

Is Emby running on your NAS or on another computer?

OP said he was running Emby on a PC without problems and was added Emby to his Synology NAS.  I do not use Emby Theater since I believe Windows only.  He is saying Emby Theater does not work but not sure what that mean.

My other/separate question  ...  If you do not have another router what is on 192.168.1.1?  Normally a site, if internet comes from CABLE, will either have a Modem or a Modem Router from the Cable Company.  If you want to use your own Router (like maybe is the OP's case) then you would normally only have a Modem in front of the router (which I normally provide my own).  In my home case I have FiOS and they just provide Ethernet (i have no tv) which plugs directly into my Google WiFi Router.  Again, I have a number of Synology NAS and love them.  But my preference is to keep the routing separate (like with my Google WiFi) so this is just me learning new stuff.  Thanks.

CChris

It doesn't matter, what IP 192.168.1.1 really is.
Depending on your Network settings.

I would do the following:

If you are running emby on your Synology NAS, then turn off the Portforwarding for:

192.168.1.10 with Port 8096 and 8920
Also, turn off the Portforwarding to 192.168.1.10 on Port 80

The next steps, are depending on what you exactly want.

- Do you have a webservice running on 192.168.1.10 which should be available on Port 80?
- Do you want to use SSL certificates for the connection to emby?

If you need to be able to connect to 192.168.1.10 remotely, I would suggest to use the Reverse Proxy of your Synology for this.

Do you have a DynDNS Domain or a TopLevel Domain with DynDNS options?
If yes, this could be helpful for the next step of the configuration.

Depending on this answer, we could decide, if we only work with Port 80 and 443 or if we continue with the default ports for Emby.

If you have the option to work with Subdomains of an existing toplevel domain and if you could use DynDNS with it, you could create different subdomains for your services.

If not, then configure your portforwarding like this:

192.168.1.19 on Port 8096

Next step would be, to configure your Synology.
But this would be based on your answer for the above questions...

It doesn't matter, what IP 192.168.1.1 really is.

Depending on your Network settings.

I would do the following:

If you are running emby on your Synology NAS, then turn off the Portforwarding for:

192.168.1.10 with Port 8096 and 8920

Also, turn off the Portforwarding to 192.168.1.10 on Port 80

The next steps, are depending on what you exactly want.

- Do you have a webservice running on 192.168.1.10 which should be available on Port 80?

- Do you want to use SSL certificates for the connection to emby?

If you need to be able to connect to 192.168.1.10 remotely, I would suggest to use the Reverse Proxy of your Synology for this.

Do you have a DynDNS Domain or a TopLevel Domain with DynDNS options?

If yes, this could be helpful for the next step of the configuration.

Depending on this answer, we could decide, if we only work with Port 80 and 443 or if we continue with the default ports for Emby.

If you have the option to work with Subdomains of an existing toplevel domain and if you could use DynDNS with it, you could create different subdomains for your services.

If not, then configure your portforwarding like this:

192.168.1.19 on Port 8096

Next step would be, to configure your Synology.

But this would be based on your answer for the above questions...

Thanks for the answers. 

So, when I use my WAN IP on my phone I get access to the server remotely, however when I use the Emby App on my phone it does not connect. 

Should I still try to do the changes? 

OP said he was running Emby on a PC without problems and was added Emby to his Synology NAS.  I do not use Emby Theater since I believe Windows only.  He is saying Emby Theater does not work but not sure what that mean.

My other/separate question  ...  If you do not have another router what is on 192.168.1.1?  Normally a site, if internet comes from CABLE, will either have a Modem or a Modem Router from the Cable Company.  If you want to use your own Router (like maybe is the OP's case) then you would normally only have a Modem in front of the router (which I normally provide my own).  In my home case I have FiOS and they just provide Ethernet (i have no tv) which plugs directly into my Google WiFi Router.  Again, I have a number of Synology NAS and love them.  But my preference is to keep the routing separate (like with my Google WiFi) so this is just me learning new stuff.  Thanks.

It's pretty much a modem that works as a wifi/router as well. Not sure if that answered the question :D ?

Okay guys, I have no idea why but even the app works. I just tried on my phone. 

Thanks for everyone who helped me out, I must have changed something that you guys suggested I just have no clue what it was. 

Thanks a lot 

solabc16

Hello @@Leyst, All

A good discussion going on here and glad to see you've got it working, for reference there are some notes here also : https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/67010-remote-user-cannot-see-content/?p=693732

Just so we've covered it off.... make sure you configure your final solution to use SSL and block plain text connections being made from outside your local network.

Best

- James