Local actor thumbnail in NFO

bluestripe
Go to solution Solved by PenkethBoy,

bluestripe

Hello,

I'm a newbie to Emby, this may be an already answered matter.

What I'm trying to do:

Use locally stored image(.jpg) as actor thumbnail using NFO file without manually uploading image using browser.

As far as I know

1. "People" folder is deprecated, and now manually uploaded actor thumbnails are stored in "Library" folder.

2. You can't insert URL in NFO file like this.

<actor>
<name>Example Name</name>
<role>Example Role</role>
<type>Actor</type>
<thumb>http://example.com/example.jpg</thumb>
</actor>

3. You can't insert local image using full path in NFO file like this.

<actor>
<name>Example Name</name>
<role>Example Role</role>
<type>Actor</type>
<thumb>/mnt/myServer/actors/example.jpg</thumb>
</actor>

4. You can' use .actor folder like Kodi.

5. There isn't a way upload actor picture using API.

Is this correct understanding?

I use self-made scripts to generate custom NFO files of movies, so if there is a way to embed local image in NFO, I would like to know.

Also, I believe file path of uploaded pictures are stored in Libray.db.

Is there any way to access those information using API etc.? because if it is, I can write a script to replace those pictures with my own pictures with the same file names.

Edited by bluestripe

PenkethBoy

Hi

Welcome

Yes the api can upload/change images for actors as well as other items - if done this way the files are stored in the metadata\library folder and the db gets updated - same as if you did it manually via the web app

And yes you can access their path locations - but if you did the above they would already be updated

Have a read of this to get you started

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/wiki

And also check out Swagger - go to you server dashboard and at the bottom of the page are four links - use the API one and it will take you to Swagger - where amongst other things it allows you to try api calls etc

Tip: Turn on debug logging and try doing what you want via the web app - then look at the log and you will see api calls to the server - helps with finding the right call in swagger as there are lots :)

Have fun

Edited by PenkethBoy

bluestripe

Hi

Welcome

Yes the api can upload/change images for actors as well as other items - if done this way the files are stored in the metadata\library folder and the db gets updated - same as if you did it manually via the web app

And yes you can access their path locations - but if you did the above they would already be updated

Have a read of this to get you started

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/wiki

And also check out Swagger - go to you server dashboard and at the bottom of the page are four links - use the API one and it will take you to Swagger - where amongst other things it allows you to try api calls etc

Tip: Turn on debug logging and try doing what you want via the web app - then look at the log and you will see api calls to the server - helps with finding the right call in swagger as there are lots :)

Have fun

I took a look into Swagger and found that I can combine

PersonService:Persons/Name

RemoteImageService:Items/Id/RemoteImages/Download

to apply online images as actor's thumbnail.

Thanks.

However, I could not find a API to upload local images (whether local images form server posting API, or those from Emby Server.)

Is there anyway to that?( file:// doesn't work )

I guess I could set up LAMP to handle the image, but still ......

It would be superb if I could use multipart or base64 string.

• Solution
PenkethBoy

look at the "imageservice" in swagger - to upload an image to you emby server-  to change the image for an actor and anything else

remoteimages is for d/l from a remote metadata image provider - probably not what you want

• Like 1

bluestripe

look at the "imageservice" in swagger - to upload an image to you emby server-  to change the image for an actor and anything else

remoteimages is for d/l from a remote metadata image provider - probably not what you want

I actually suspected 

ImageService:Items/Id/Images/Type

but failed to upload images using Swagger, so I assumed that this API was not meant for uploading images......

Until I found your post!!!

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69300-uploading-and-image-via-api-swagger-error/

This was exactly what I wanted.

HUGE Thanks to you!

TL;DR

For others who want to do the same thing with Linux or WSL or Mac

First, you get Person Item ID

curl -X GET "${embyServerURL}/emby/Persons/${personName}?api_key=${apiKey}" -H "accept: application/json"

make sure to replace  ${personName} with actor's name (url encoded string)

- If you want to upload internet images

curl -X POST "${embyServerURL}/emby/Items/${actorID}/RemoteImages/Download?Type=${type}&ImageUrl=${imageUrl}&api_key=${apiKey}" -H "accept: */*"

- If you want to upload local image (jpeg)

base64 ${imagePath} | xargs curl -X POST "${embyServerURL}/emby/Items/${actorID}/Images/Type=${type}?api_key=${apiKey}" -H "Content-Type: image/jpeg" --data-binary

- If you want to upload local image (png)

base64 ${imagePath} | xargs curl -X POST "${embyServerURL}/emby/Items/${actorID}/Images/Type=${type}?api_key=${apiKey}" -H "Content-Type: image/png" --data-binary
Edited by bluestripe
  • Like 1

PenkethBoy

cool - glad you got it working - yes convert to base64 works for me as well

One other thing png files work as well for logo's etc but you would also need to change the content type - for anybody reading in the future