BillOatman

BillOatman

Hi:  When calling the .NET api :

MessageCommand mc = new MessageCommand();            
            mc.TimeoutMs = 20000;
            mc.Header = "Header";
            mc.Text = "Test ";         

await client.SendMessageCommandAsync(sessionID, mc);

The message appears on the screen for about 5 seconds instead of 20.  Is the max 5 seconds?

Yea it's always been part of documentation that some apps may need to ignore the timeout value. What app are you sending that to?

BillOatman

Not sure I understand the question as to what app, but the client is a nvidia shield if that's what you are asking.

If he doesn't see this then please open a ticket in the sections of the community for the apps. thanks.

The Roku app is hard-coded at 6 seconds. Should this follow that setting? There would definitely have to be an upper limit as we cannot have somebody pop up things for long durations. The potential for abuse is too high. Is this a feature request? What is the "proper thing to do" here? For the Roku I believe we have 6 seconds for that reason. To not annoy/bother/harrass users this is 6 seconds. If this is kept onscreen for a longer duration it would have to be a compelling argument to change things from how they are now.

Edited by speechles

The Roku app is hard-coded at 6 seconds. Should this follow that setting? There would definitely have to be an upper limit as we cannot have somebody pop up things for long durations. The potential for abuse is too high. Is this a feature request? What is the "proper thing to do" here? For the Roku I believe we have 6 seconds for that reason. To not annoy/bother/harrass users this is 6 seconds. If this is kept onscreen for a longer duration it would have to be a compelling argument to change things from how they are now.

Yes, honor it, unless there's a platform specific reason why you're not able to.

Yes, honor it, unless there's a platform specific reason why you're not able to.

I can add it to the tracker. Let me get a reference.

Reference: Issue #287: [ECP message] message display maximum time not respected

@@Luke the only reason I believe it was 6 seconds is fear. Fear of the unknown and why someone would need it larger. Keeping users from being annoyed. I am sure there were no bad intentions in just abandon the timeout. It was done out of caution and lately we have been remove those training wheels and users aren't falling so this should be okay to remove the restriction on too.

Edited by speechles

@@Luke the only reason I believe it was 6 seconds is fear. Fear of the unknown and why someone would need it larger. Keeping users from being annoyed. I am sure there were no bad intentions in just abandon the timeout. It was done out of caution and lately we have been remove those training wheels and users aren't falling so this should be okay to remove the restriction on too.

Right and although that is a valid point, you're only going to get that far if someone with permission to send a remote control command to a given device actually sends such a command to the Roku app. So we know the sender is trusted in other words.

BillOatman

Thanks Guys.  If @@ebr doesn't see this thread in a day or so, I'll copy it into the androidtv section.