Device Bitrate Limitations

awdspyder

awdspyder
As 4K UHD rips proliferate, I'm seeing more and more threads regarding transcoding issues due to the media exceeding the bitrate of the device.

In many cases, this isn't due to an incorrectly configured setting with the Emby app, but rather a software-imposed limitation related to the specific device in question.  Since each device is different in its inherent playback capabilities, I suspect one could assume that the highest configurable bitrate option in each device's Emby app settings has been determined to be the highest bitrate said device could support.

So my question is twofold:  
  1. How is this maximum bitrate determined?  Is each device actually tested to determine that it absolutely will not support playback of a media file that has a bitrate higher than the highest rate offered by the Emby app settings?  Is it based off manufacturer specs, tests on similar hardware, device querying, etc?  I can't imagine it's possible that every device is tested.

2. Is/could there be a way to allow user's to remove/bypass this bitrate cap? 
I.e.:

Unlimited
Auto (Default)
80 Mbps
50 Mbps

Rationale:

I get that you're attempting to provide the best possible experience with the least possible headache - especially to users that may not have technical day jobs and don't care about things like bitrate.   But since this limit somewhat artificially imposed and depends on numerous factors, I'm sure there are users that would like be able to at least make the attempt, rather than simply be told no dice - especially for files with bitrates at or near the device limit.  Furthermore, I totally get that at some maximal threshold on a given device, playback will either A) be suboptimal, B ) totally fail, or C) be subject to a limit imposed by the device.  I'm OK with that and would like let it fail if I should so choose.

Take for instance The Lion King UHD.  This disc clocks in at 50.3 GB for less than 69 minutes of run time, with an Emby-reported bitrate of 81,562 kbps.  My TCL 55P605 displays a maximum bitrate of 80 Mpbs in the Emby app settings.  Since I really doubt there's some natural law that states that at 80,001 kpbs the display will self-destruct, I'd really like to see if this file will play reasonably well without transcoding.  It appears that I currently do not have this choice, however. It doesn't matter if I set the Emby app to Auto or the max bitrate setting - this file will always transcode.

I mean, think about it like this - even if the playback hiccups a few times during high bitrate scenes, is that really worse than waiting for 2 minutes of buffering to watch 8 seconds of playback, then rinse/repeat?  As is, when attempting to transcode, the file is totally unplayable, and I suspect that's the case for many that attempt to transcode 4k files.  I know that this is an edge case and the Auto (default) setting is suitable for 99% of users 99% of the time, but having options is never a bad thing.  Even if proven wrong in the end, I still prefer to have the option to work around software "thinking for me," when applicable.

Thanks!
Bill
Edited by awdspyder

I don't know that "Unlimited" makes sense but we can try increasing the top limit on the Roku.