Server Not Detecting New Movies

ember1205

ember1205

I have about 2600 movies spread across three disks. Emby is not alaways detecting when I add new movies. Ownership and permissions are appropriate and match movies that DO get added. Naming convention is consistent across all as I use Filebot (the last version that was free) to name them. All TV Shows that I record get picked up properly.

The primary server is currently Plex but I have configured permissions so that Emby has the same level of access to everything. Still, it doesn't always add the content and I can't seem to find anything consistent about the ones that work or the ones that don't. Some are straight MKV rips, some have been transcoded to MP4. In the end, some load and some do not.

Server version is 4.0.1.0 and I have avoided the upgrade to 4.0.2.0 because I have seen a few reports of that version breaking media that's already there.

ember1205

I've provided quite a bit of information that shows that this should be working fine. Citing specific examples at this point without having an idea of what to look for likely won't add any value. As I stated... over 2600 movies, ALL named using the proper convention, ALL named using Filebot (with manual adjustments when it goes very awry). There does not yet appear to be any specific item to point to that will determine whether or not a file gets identified as needing to be added to the library.

Plex picks up 100% of them... Zero misses. 99.5% are picked up as soon as the file is moved into the library tree. Any remaining ones are caught on a library scan.

Is there a way to turn on any advanced logging on the server to be able to see whether or not the library scans at least "see" these files?

ember1205

I enabled the debug logging, but it's not useful. If I have realtime monitoring enabled for the filesystem and I "mv" a directory (containing a movie file) into the monitored directory, I see an entry in the log that it created a refresh, but it points to the directory and calls it a file. Example from the log: 

Debug LibraryMonitor: New file refresher created for /mnt/videos1/Movies/<movie name (movie year)>

There is never another entry for that directory that will ever show up. I have removed the entire /mnt/videos1/Movies directory from the library and re-added it. Doing so causes a LOT of movies to show up as "new", but none of the previously missing movies are being added. I need to know what I'm looking for in the logs to try and understand why it's having problems.

ember1205

@@Luke,

I appreciate your willingness to assist here, but the questions you're asking are very general and have a multitude of ways that I could answer them. I honestly don't know what you're after - could you be more specific in the things you're asking about or let me know areas to be checking?

As stated - I've enabled debug logging, but it's not terribly useful in showing me what it's actually doing. I need a much better way to understand what the system is trying to do and where it's running into issues.

As far as your question about library setup - it has nothing to do with the setup of the library itself. I have three different directories that are part of my "Movies" database. If I split the directories into different libraries altogether, using the same settings, one directory doesn't get scanned at all while the other two are at least getting content added (although I have absolutely no idea how to tell exactly how many items are being added to a library, so I don't know if items in these directories are being missed or not - Plex shows you the total number of items in your library when you open it).

Edited by ember1205

ember1205

I have about 2600 movies spread across three disks. Emby is not alaways detecting when I add new movies. Ownership and permissions are appropriate and match movies that DO get added. Naming convention is consistent across all as I use Filebot (the last version that was free) to name them. All TV Shows that I record get picked up properly.

The primary server is currently Plex but I have configured permissions so that Emby has the same level of access to everything. Still, it doesn't always add the content and I can't seem to find anything consistent about the ones that work or the ones that don't. Some are straight MKV rips, some have been transcoded to MP4. In the end, some load and some do not.

Server version is 4.0.1.0 and I have avoided the upgrade to 4.0.2.0 because I have seen a few reports of that version breaking media that's already there.

After a LOT of investigation into this, and a LOT of tinkering, I -believe- I have it fixed.

As I mentioned in my original post, my Emby installation is running on the same machine as Plex. Plex was installed a LONG time ago, so I had modified permissions on everything so that the Emby user would have permissions via the "group" attribute. I also ensured that the Emby user was in the Plex group.

Everything seemed to be working, but then I noticed that some movies added over the last couple of months have been added correctly to Plex but not to Emby. I tried to change the Emby configuration to run directly as the Plex user, but the server crashed every single time I tried starting it up. I quadruple checked all of the permissions and saw no issues. I then completely removed the "Movies" library from Emby and waited a whlie so that all of the various metadata and cache info would be removed. I then added a "Movies" library and pointed it to the first directory (I have three, all on separate disks). I added a "Movies 2" library and pointed it to the second directory. Both were configured to auto-scan their respective directories.

I saw a large quantity of movies get added to Movies 2 but nothing was added to Movies. I moved all of the movies OUT of the first directory into a sort of "holding area" that was not scanned by the library. I then starting moving movies back into the primary directory a handful at a time. All of the "A*" movies seemed to load fine, as did the "B*", "C*", and so on. When I hit the "F*" movies, it bombed out.

At this point, I walked away. About an hour later, I started up the Emby client on one of my devices and tried accessing the "Movies" library. Nothing would play. I could browse and such, but could not get any of the movies to begin playback. I tried the same with "Movies 2" and they worked. I went to bed.

This morning, I went back in and started looking through the movies and such again, and I finally noticed that the permissions were not what I had expected them to be... While the "plex" group had EXECUTE permissions on the directories, it did not have WRITE permissions. I changed all directory permissions from 755 to 775 and added in ALL of the movies that belonged in the primary directory. Everything seemed to load up correctly, so I deleted the "Movies 2" library and then added the remaining two directories to the Movies library and kicked off a scan.

At this point, the reporting plugin shows that I have 2631 Movie Files in my library while Plex shows that I have 2627. Since I had a few movies that I transcoded within Plex so that I could sync them to my tablet, I searched the report and saw that it was identifying both the original movie and the transcoded copy (kept a couple of folders below the original one) as a movie file. I removed three of these and am waiting for the reporting plugin to catch up so I can verify that this is what actually happened.

@@Luke,

I appreciate your willingness to assist here, but the questions you're asking are very general and have a multitude of ways that I could answer them. I honestly don't know what you're after - could you be more specific in the things you're asking about or let me know areas to be checking?

As stated - I've enabled debug logging, but it's not terribly useful in showing me what it's actually doing. I need a much better way to understand what the system is trying to do and where it's running into issues.

As far as your question about library setup - it has nothing to do with the setup of the library itself. I have three different directories that are part of my "Movies" database. If I split the directories into different libraries altogether, using the same settings, one directory doesn't get scanned at all while the other two are at least getting content added (although I have absolutely no idea how to tell exactly how many items are being added to a library, so I don't know if items in these directories are being missed or not - Plex shows you the total number of items in your library when you open it).

Specifically i was looking to find out what top level folders were added in emby library setup, and using what content types. And then also, whether or not any folders are being duplicated across more than one library.

ember1205

I have three disks with media on them, all mounted under /mnt. File structures are consistent across all of them, and the directories containing the movies are called Movies. There is NO duplicated content. The library is set for type Movies.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I believe that this was a matter of permissions. For whatever reason, "disk 1" had inconsistent permissions for the group plex. Some subdirectories had Write permission while others didn't. Once I corrected the directory level permissions, the problem seemed to go away after refreshing the library.