NFOs, local metadata, hidden files & permissions

daveoxford

daveoxford

Hi

I have Emby 4 running on Debian Stretch.

I currently have the default setup of metadata being saved to /var/lib... and for various reasons (ease of rebuilding libraries, TheTVDB is a mess,...) would like to move to having all my metadata stored locally so I can "fine tune" it.

I have set up a small test server on a different machine, and added a library with a couple of shows with "Metadata savers Nfo" and  "Save artwork into media folders" checked when creating the library, and after a scan, the nfos and images are there, but I am struggling to work out how to edit this data and have Emby pick it up (other than deleting and rebuilding the library).

Q1: How do I get Emby to pick up the metadata from a manually edited nfo file? I am assuming I need to refresh a cache somewhere - how do I do that without searching the internet sources again?

I would like to have the local metadata as hidden files - I see I can just make the images hidden and change the paths to the them within the nfo file (which is no problem, I can automate that), but...

Q2: Can I make the nfo itself hidden?

My media is rw-r--r-- to my local user, whereas the nfo files Emby creates are rw-r--r-- to the emby user.

@@mastrmind11 Q3: What is the best approach here? I can chown all the nfo files to my local user so I can edit them (which would have the added advantage of protecting them), or is there some better way?

I realise this is going over some old ground, but these things have changed over the lifetime of Emby, and there are a lot of older posts out there that no longer apply and add to the confusion. :-)

Thanks, anybody! 

Edited by Luke

Q1: How do I get Emby to pick up the metadata from a manually edited nfo file? I am assuming I need to refresh a cache somewhere - how do I do that without searching the internet sources again?

Hi, if enabled for that library, the realtime-monitor should pick it up and the changes will be in Emby within a minute or two. Otherwise the next library scan will pick up the changes.

daveoxford

Emby doesn't seem to be picking up hidden nfos. (Linux style, with a "." at the beginning of the file name).

Ok yes that could be a problem. They need to have the same file name as the video right now.

daveoxford

Luke - any thought on Q3 about file permissions?

My media (on LInux) is rw-r--r-- to my local user, whereas the nfo files Emby creates are rw-r--r-- to the emby user.

What is the best approach here? I can chown all the nfo files to my local user so I can edit them (which would have the added advantage of protecting them), or is there some better way?

Thanks