Google Assistant doesn't recognize titles if there is a : on the Emby title

y3knik

Device: MiBox

Do the following

1. Have a title on your Emby servers with a :. In my example the title on Emby is "Pacific Rim: Uprising"
  2. Go to The home screen of Android TV
  3. Voice search for "Pacific Rim Uprising"
  4. Note that other services pick up Pacific Rim Uprising, however Emby is not part of the applications that shows up with a playable title

If I try with a title that doesnt have a : the whole thing works perfectly which is why I believe that the : is throwing off the search.

Thanks

Hi.  What happens if you just search for "Pacific Rim"?

I also have Pacific Rim, the original movie so that shows up. The title name for that on Emby is simply "Pacfic Rim".

Edited by y3knik

The other one doesn't also show up?

This issue is really unrelated to Google Assistant.  It is just manifesting there because you cannot "speak" the colon.

If you type the exact same thing into the search box in the web app, you should get the same results.  I'm somewhat surprised if "Pacific Rim:Uprising" doesn't show up on a search for "Pacific Rim" though...

The other one doesn't also show up?

This issue is really unrelated to Google Assistant.  It is just manifesting there because you cannot "speak" the colon.

If you type the exact same thing into the search box in the web app, you should get the same results.  I'm somewhat surprised if "Pacific Rim:Uprising" doesn't show up on a search for "Pacific Rim" though...

No uprising doesnt show up, I think Google assistant only ever allows one search result and so the best match is winning. Picture of that attached.

You are correct on the web app part. I do see both. 

I just tried another test where I asked for just "uprising". Google still assumed that I wanted to watch Pacific Rim uprising and did not show up the Emby result because of the : I think.

5c75dd769c6bc_20190226_194127.jpg

Yeah, I think maybe Google is outsmarting itself here.

I just tested this and we are executing a search for "pacific rim uprising" when requested via GA.  I suspect we are returning a result but Google must be weeding it out for some reason.

GA will return multiple results if you give it something more generic.  I'm surprised it doesn't give you multiple results for "Pacific Rim" but it isn't.

For instance, here is a search for "Harry Potter" via GA:

5c75df776f4b5_harrypottergasearch.png

Yeah, I think maybe Google is outsmarting itself here.

I just tested this and we are executing a search for "pacific rim uprising" when requested via GA.  I suspect we are returning a result but Google must be weeding it out for some reason.

GA will return multiple results if you give it something more generic.  I'm surprised it doesn't give you multiple results for "Pacific Rim" but it isn't.

For instance, here is a search for "Harry Potter" via GA:

5c75df776f4b5_harrypottergasearch.png

That view is different than what I have. How are you getting that view?

I am on the home screen and just hitting the voice button on my remote that brings up assistant. I have never seen that view that you are seeing before.

That view is different than what I have. How are you getting that view?

I am on the home screen and just hitting the voice button on my remote that brings up assistant. I have never seen that view that you are seeing before.

Search for something generic like "Harry Potter".

Search for something generic like "Harry Potter".

Oh! Didnt know that existed. I just tried Harry Potter and I see the same thing as you. But none of my Happy potter titles have ":".

If I try the generic "Pacific Rim" term, then only the first one shows up and that new menu does not show up with the two options like Harry Potter.