old/unused metadata cleanup

marauder

marauder

Is there a way to clean up or remove old metadata from the system. I have all my metadata stored on a dedicated SSD drive instead of with the files. I found it to be much quicker loading doing it that way. I used to have a library folder path for temporary files which i hadn't watched then they would get moved to their final location. I'm worried this caused a lot of duplicates. I've since removed that directory. 

Just wondering if the system auto cleans up metadata if the file isn't there or if there's a way to I can trigger it to it.

I deleted the folder, but my metadata usage did not decrease.

I've got 721 Movies, 12000 tv episodes, 3000 Music files. My metadata drive is currently 45gb which seems pretty large. 

I'm reluctant to delete a folder in my library and readd it as I went through and made sure each file had the correct metadata and photos(banner, primary, logo)

Is that sizing normal? I worry as my SSD is only a 64gb as i figured that would be plenty.

Just wondering if the system auto cleans up metadata if the file isn't there

Hi, yes it does.

45gb is a bit high, but it all depends on what metadata related features you enable, number of images set to download, chapter image settings, etc.

marauder

This is a search of my directories.

root@unraid:/mnt/disks/emby/metadata/metadata# du -sch *
124M    People
4.0M    channels
46G     library
0       views
46G     total
root@unraid:/mnt/disks/emby/metadata/metadata# find . -type f -name '*.json' -exec du -ch {} + | grep total$
1016K   total
root@unraid:/mnt/disks/emby/metadata/metadata# find . -type f -name '*.bif' -exec du -ch {} + | grep total$
2.8G    total
2.8G    total
2.8G    total
2.8G    total
2.7G    total
2.9G    total
2.8G    total
2.8G    total
2.8G    total
2.8G    total
2.8G    total
2.8G    total
2.8G    total
2.8G    total
2.8G    total
2.9G    total
434M    total
root@unraid:/mnt/disks/emby/metadata/metadata# find . -type f -name '*.jpg' -exec du -ch {} + | grep total$
83M     total
89M     total
100M    total
124M    total
91M     total
93M     total
81M     total
95M     total
96M     total
73M     total
69M     total
141M    total
root@unraid:/mnt/disks/emby/metadata/metadata#

Happy2Play

Yes that is a little large but as Luke mentioned it depends on setting also.

The \library folder contains item images and chapter images and now all Artist and People (cast and crew) images.

But for what you have shown above, what is taking up so much space in \library as it would not appear to be jpg images.  

Can you check png files?

marauder

Almost nothing for png files

root@unraid:/mnt/disks/emby/metadata/metadata# find . -type f -name '*.png' -exec du -ch {} + | grep total$
69M     total

I noticed I did have enable chapter image extraction on for my movies folder. I have unchecked that(couple hours ago) but as I only have 721 and the images don't take up a lot of room it doesn't seem like that would be the cause.

Happy2Play

Nothing you have shown so far would explain it.  Especially for the amount of media you have listed.  I know my stable server has a 62GB people folder and a 10GB library folder, but that is for roughly 30TB of media (6000 movies, 41056 episodes).

Happy2Play

Don't know anything about this OS but maybe look for large files in the library folder/subfolders.

marauder

From the output it seems like the bif files are what’s taking up all the space as I think the output is just groups to be added up as I couldn’t seem to get it to display just 1 total. Each bif was 3-8mb.

Unraid is a Linux system similar to freenas/omb. Emby is running on docker.