External Mounts will not show library

dkrysak

Hi there,

Are there any limitations to using an external drive mounted via SMB or NFS? For some reason my TV library will show, but my movie library will not.  It is so odd. If I put htemovies on a local drive -works without issue. Same permissions (user and octal), etc.

I'm using the docker container and mounting the same base media folder (movies and tv are subfolders) - so the same mount point is used by both. I just updated the docker container (latest) - an there is no change there.

Ideas?

docker version
Client:
 Version:           18.06.1-ce
 API version:       1.38
 Go version:        go1.10.4
 Git commit:        e68fc7a
 Built:             Fri Jan 25 14:33:54 2019
 OS/Arch:           linux/amd64
 Experimental:      false

Server:
 Engine:
  Version:          18.06.1-ce
  API version:      1.38 (minimum version 1.12)
  Go version:       go1.10.4
  Git commit:       e68fc7a
  Built:            Thu Jan 24 10:56:33 2019
  OS/Arch:          linux/amd64
  Experimental:     false

cat /etc/lsb-release 
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=16.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=xenial
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS"

Version 4.0.2.0

Emby Server is up to date 

Oh, adn this is how I am launching the container:

cat run-emby.sh 
#!/bin/bash

sudo docker run --name emby-server -d --volume /home/media/docker/emby:/config --volume /NFS/media:/mnt/media --volume /home/media/out:/mnt/out --device /dev/dri/renderD128 --publish 8096:8096 --publish 8920:8920 --env UID=112 --env GID=119 --env GIDLIST=44,122,124 emby/embyserver:latest

exit 0

hi, what are the mounted paths to your movie and tv folders?

In the docker command I pass through:

-volume /NFS/media:/mnt/media --volume /home/media/out:/mnt/out

And within Emby I have:

/mnt/media/Movies
/mnt/out/Movies

Then on the host the file system has:

> tree -L 1
├── Movies
├── Recycle Bin
└── TV Shows

And now from within my container:

# ls /mnt/
media  out

# ls /mnt/out
Movies
TV Shows
tmp

# ls /mnt/media/
Movies
Recycle Bin
TV Shows

I don't see anything here. Is it possible that Emby server just doesn't have permissions to the folder? That's my best guess at this point.

Well, I use the same user for my Plex install, and they are running side by side. So I suspect the permissions are not the issue. I also just double checked, and the group had full access. I also double checked the UID, and GUID that I launch the container with... Also matches. I then compared the permissions on the movie folder on the internal drive vs the Nas drive... Identical. If I copy the files back to the internal drive, they show and operate as expected.

The server sets up a system user called Emby. Did you check permissions for that user?

Damien_

I ran into A similar issue on unraid with my other mounted network drives. I was ready to pull my hair out. One library could see the entire path and the other couldn’t. It made zero sense. My issue had to do with the where I started my /Mnt path. It was very weird like I couldn’t start mapping the path from the very beginning at /, I had to start at /mnt (or the other way around).

It didnt make any sense as they theoretically should’ve been going to the same place but it wouldnt whatever reason. If it sounds like a similar problem/it’s in the ballpark of your issue let me know and I’ll take screen shots and post specifics when I’m at my desk tomorrow morning.

Edited by meatball

dkrysak

I ran into A similar issue on unraid with my other mounted network drives. I was ready to pull my hair out. One library could see the entire path and the other couldn’t. It made zero sense. My issue had to do with the where I started my /Mnt path. It was very weird like I couldn’t start mapping the path from the very beginning at /, I had to start at /mnt (or the other way around).

It didnt make any sense as they theoretically should’ve been going to the same place but it wouldnt whatever reason. If it sounds like a similar problem/it’s in the ballpark of your issue let me know and I’ll take screen shots and post specifics when I’m at my desk tomorrow morning.

@@meatball It might be helpful to see the screenshots. I don't quite follow the changes you made. So you see anything of with my mounts that match you scenario...

Damien_

So I have a Synology NAS on my network that I need to access from unraid where Emby is running. 

The Synology drive is always mounted via SMB on unraid. The path to access it is /mnt/disks/DISKSTATION_Plex_Media/Movies (if I'm mapping to movies)

If I start to map the drive in emby starting at "/" in the path (shown below) , then proceed to choose /mnt then /Plex_Media; I can click through to movies as you would expect.5c7b00971679f_ScreenShot20190302at21123P

However if I back up one folder to the very beginning with no "/" already in the path and start the mapping with /mnt (shown below), I'll be able to get to the drive, however I won't be able to click through to movies, the mapping will stop at /mnt/disks/Plex_Media and the media wont be accessible on Emby. 

5c7b00da10082_ScreenShot20190302at20750P

It doesn't make a ton of sense as it should ultimately go to the same place. More frustrating is this issue isn't consistent, sometimes it works as expected and sometimes I have to be aware of where I start mapping the drive. Not sure if this is helpful or not but this is what I ran into. Hopefully you've got the issue resolved. 

Edited by meatball

dkrysak

The server sets up a system user called Emby. Did you check permissions for that user?

That user is a member of the `plex` group (since I am currently running side by side as I test emby).

```

emby:x:999:plex

```

And the permissions on the folder (and the files in) are:

```

drwxrwxr-x+ 150 media  plex       0 Feb 24 13:10 Movies/

```

dkrysak

And for confirmation, I am also launching the container with the UID and GID of the plex user.

```

$ id plex
uid=112(plex) gid=119(plex)

```

```

$ cat run-emby.sh
#!/bin/bash

sudo docker run --name emby-server -d --volume /home/media/docker/emby:/config --volume /NFS/media:/mnt/media --volume /home/media/out:/mnt/out --device /dev/dri/renderD128 --publish 8096:8096 --publish 8920:8920 --env UID=112 --env GID=119 --env GIDLIST=44,122,124 emby/embyserver:latest

exit 0

```

On a hail mary I just added the GID of emby to the GIDLIST, which made no difference.

dkrysak

So I have a Synology NAS on my network that I need to access from unraid where Emby is running. 

The Synology drive is always mounted via SMB on unraid. The path to access it is /mnt/disks/DISKSTATION_Plex_Media/Movies (if I'm mapping to movies)

If I start to map the drive in emby starting at "/" in the path (shown below) , then proceed to choose /mnt then /Plex_Media; I can click through to movies as you would expect.5c7b00971679f_ScreenShot20190302at21123P

However if I back up one folder to the very beginning with no "/" already in the path and start the mapping with /mnt (shown below), I'll be able to get to the drive, however I won't be able to click through to movies, the mapping will stop at /mnt/disks/Plex_Media and the media wont be accessible on Emby. 

5c7b00da10082_ScreenShot20190302at20750P

It doesn't make a ton of sense as it should ultimately go to the same place. More frustrating is this issue isn't consistent, sometimes it works as expected and sometimes I have to be aware of where I start mapping the drive. Not sure if this is helpful or not but this is what I ran into. Hopefully you've got the issue resolved. 

Thanks for the screenshots. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, this did not work for me.

dkrysak

Ok - one step further. I even created a new user on the NAS and set the UID to match the media server user. I had suspected that the login user for the share could be an issue. But no go. (PLus plex can access without issue. )

• 2 weeks later...
dkrysak

Ok. I have been all over this. THe current status is that Emby cannot see the data (post scan).

I have taken this into the docker community as well, and the only thing they suggested was to mount the volume using the CIFS driver.

SO I had done this:

```

#!/bin/bash

# Create a docker volume that allows SMB access.
# - Pulled from:
#   German: https://nerdblog.steinkopf.net/2017/12/persistente-docker-volumes-mit-nfs-und-cifs/
#   English: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fnerdblog.steinkopf.net%2F2017%2F12%2Fpersistente-docker-volumes-mit-nfs-und-cifs%2F

# NFS Example
#docker volume create \
#    --driver local \
#    --opt type=nfs \
#    --opt o=addr=172.30.1.1,rw \
#    --opt device=:/export/dockervolumes/xxtestvolumepath \
#    xxtestvolume

docker volume create \
    --driver local \
    --opt type=cifs \
    --opt o=addr=172.30.1.1,rw \
    --opt device=//172.30.1.1/media \
    --opt o=uid=0,username=SMBUSERID,password=SMBUSERPASS,nounix,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0775 \
    smbmediavol

sudo docker run \
    --name emby-server \
    -d \
    --volume /home/media/docker/emby:/config \
    --volume smbmediavol:/mnt/media \
    --volume /home/media/out:/mnt/out \
    --device /dev/dri/renderD128 \
    --publish 8096:8096 \
    --publish 8920:8920 \
    --env UID=112 \
    --env GID=119 \
    --env GIDLIST=44,122,124 \
    emby/embyserver:latest

exit 0

```

Other Things Tried

• matched up the UID that the NAS, Emby and the mount user have.
  • tried mounting with the above docker volume method
  • Reset all permissions using the UID/GID (vs user names)
  • Within the docker container (running) I can interact without issue on the file system.

I'm really at my wits end here. I cannot be the only person using the docker container with a remote file share....

dkrysak

Alright - I went a step further. I spun up a plex docker container, and mounted my SMB data just using a traditional --volume (not a docker volume), and it worked immediately. No issues. I thus far only have this issue with Emby regardless of using the traditiona; `--volume` mount, or using the Docker volume itself with the CIFS drivers.

dkrysak

OK - here is another thing I just noticed - TV Shows work on the external mount (same mount!). Just not movies....  :huh:

dkrysak

can you try the beta server and see how that compares? thanks.

Hi Luke - same behavior.

• I tried mapping the volume with the two previously described volume methods.
  • I created a new "Movies" folder in the NAS (was hoping that since TV was working...), and moved in a single test Movie.