minor suggestion for music ribbon

Vincent S

Vincent S

This suggestion may apply to other phones as well, I happen to use Android.

The top level ribbon when I click 'Music' has the options: Suggestions Albums Album Artists Artists Playlists Songs Genres Folders.

These are fine options. But the number one way I listen to music is to cue up a genre on random play. It feels weird to have to scroll the ribbon every time I launch the app. My number 2 and 3 ways of selecting music are 'album artist' and 'album', with 'playlist' coming in fourth. I'm sure other users would prioritize these options differently.

I also suspect most people use either Artists or Album Artists but not both. I happen to only use Album Artists, but perhaps that's because I'm old school and still buy whole albums instead of individual tracks so I think in terms of albums. My compilation disks are under the album artist 'various artists'. And 'songs' becomes too cumbersome to load when you have a lot of music. I'm sure there is a use case for 'folders', and I'm sure I don't know what it is.

What I'd like is a way to get the four options I use on the visible part of the ribbon without scrolling.

I know many developers try hard to keep as few option buttons as possible. So some ways this might be accomplished:

1) Move Songs right before Folders, towards the end where it almost certainly belongs.

2) Move Artists before Songs if your usage data suggests that I'm quite normal in using Album Artist almost exclusively.

3) Consider a shorter word than 'Suggestions' for the first option to save room on the ribbon. (Glimpse?) 

4) possibly even better: move 'Suggestions' to the very end, since it is the default opening page anyway, few people ever need to select it. If they want it, they already have it loaded when they open the app; if they don't want it, they certainly don't want to select it again, so it is wasted as the first slot on the ribbon.

5) Personally, I'd put Genre before Playlists, but I recognize I might be unusual in that preference. But it wouldn't matter if you did 4. Because either way you'd have the sequence:

Albums Album Artists Playlists <-> Genres Artists Songs Folders Suggestions 

with Playlists or Genres in either order, all four of the most used options would be on the ribbon with no scrolling. (This order would thus not only be better for people like me who love genres, but also people who love playlists.)

Of course, I can imagine things like 'invisible UI' where you can drag the tabs into your preferred order which the app remembers. Invisible UI is cool except it creates some support burden when people don't know it is there.

And of course, there's lots of ways one could solve this problem if one didn't mind putting a bunch of settings buttons in the app, but I'm guessing those wouldn't be popular on the dev side, where simplicity and elegance are preferred over buttons for fussy users or power users.

This may seem minor to some people, but I've become very sensitive to when UI requires extra clicks to execute the most common or basic tasks especially when it wastes the easy access space for tasks we're not interested in or seldom use.

Thanks for the consideration!

Edited by Vincent S

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, yes i would agree with #1, so I'll make that change now.  Have you configured your landing tab under home screen settings?