Emby 4.02 / 4.6.4.0 not reading titles properly in .NFO?

mbguy

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, mbguy said:

Wait a min, after reading @GrimReaper's response posted at almost the same time as mine, I learned that:

Emby already has this capability to read index.nfo several levels deep but just chooses not too?!

In any case, maybe finally this time, with HUGE ASSIST from @GrimReaper there is enough attention to this issue and Emby will finally change its approach of for not properly supporting index.nfo BDMV folders to begin with?

I was being conservative (I have some really old shows where each episode is in its own subfolder), 5 levels is what I know of:

TV-shows-parent-folder\Letter-folder\TV-shows-folder\Season-folder\Episode-folder

• Like 1

Painkiller8818

For now you better use my scripts. they should fix your problem for now. I would be more than surprised if this is fixed in the next update as i've learned it takes a very long time till something new gets implemented, but i also know this would be a simple edit and could be done in about 2 mins. Simply add index.nfo to the supported files with someting like  if movie.nfo or filename.nfo or index.nfo DO SOMETHING....

but we will see ;)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

For now you better use my scripts. they should fix your problem for now. I would be more than surprised if this is fixed in the next update as i've learned it takes a very long time till something new gets implemented, but i also know this would be a simple edit and could be done in about 2 mins. Simply add index.nfo to the supported files with someting like  if movie.nfo or filename.nfo or index.nfo DO SOMETHING....

but we will see ;)

Thank you @Painkiller8818and @GrimReaperfor being champions of advocacy on this issue. 

You have additionally provided much needed technical context and interim solution too.

This Emby Community would not be this enriching place without people like you. 👍

Edited by mbguy
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 12:59 PM, mbguy said:

@Luke

To summarize, TMM generates index.nfo files that are either not readable, not detectable or just simply ignored by Emby v4.6.4.0 in the following scenarios:

• by default, TMM saves index.nfo in Movie\BDMV folder
  • if this index.nfo is renamed into movie.nfo and left in Movie\BDMV folder
  • if the same index.nfo is moved to Movie root folder

The only situation where Emby would read, detect or not ignore the index.nfo is when I MOVED it one folder level up to the Movie root folder and RENAMED it to either one of the following:

• movie.nfo
  • movie_folder_name.nfo

Emby-specific questions:

1. I perform "Refresh Metadata > Replace all metadata" and reload the Movie page on Emby to check the changes, is this correct?

2. Is there something specific with the index.nfo created by TMM that is not readable, detectable or being ignored by Emby? Attached is an example of index.nfo created and saved inside BDMV folder by TMM

3. Is it possible to get Emby to "detect and accept" the index.nfo file inside BDMV folder? Or do I really have to resort to the PowerShell scripting stuff to copy one folder level up and the rename?

index.nfo 7.05 kB · 1 download

We'll add this to the next update to the nfo plugin. Thanks.

• Like 3

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Nice one, Luke. 👍

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Luke said:

Wow considering I made the original post in 2019 with BDMV and .nfo issues, I am proud that I didn't give up. Thanks @Luke

A special shout-out to @GrimReaper too who provided technical background, fact-checking, context-setting and the fair assessment of the balance between the rights of users and developers. I don't think I alone could have convinced Emby myself to make these changes 👍

@Painkiller8818 Thanks for being a part of pushing Emby over the edge too 😛

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

According to this Emby blog, version 4.6.6 has just been rolled out, and my version is actually on 4.6.7 already but I still don't see nfo or metadata items in the fix/change log here:

@LukeIs work on the NFO metadata plugin still being worked on or is it already completed? If not, when is it expected roughly?

Mine is still on v1.0.56.0, and aside from this knowledge base entry https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001848783-metadata-manager I have not been able to find more info or changelog or history on the "nfo metadata" plugin, so I don't know if this version is the latest.

14 minutes ago, mbguy said:

According to this Emby blog, version 4.6.6 has just been rolled out, and my version is actually on 4.6.7 already but I still don't see nfo or metadata items in the fix/change log here:

@LukeIs work on the NFO metadata plugin still being worked on or is it already completed? If not, when is it expected roughly?

Mine is still on v1.0.56.0, and aside from this knowledge base entry https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001848783-metadata-manager I have not been able to find more info or changelog or history on the "nfo metadata" plugin, so I don't know if this version is the latest.

That is the latest available nfo plugin version for the 4.6.X server, yes. Newer versions of the plugin require the 4.7 server which is still only in testing.

• 8 months later...

@Lukejust a belated thanks for adding capabilities to Emby that has addressed all NFO and BDMV related issues that I brought up in this thread before 🙏

• Thanks 1