Emby 4.02 / 4.6.4.0 not reading titles properly in .NFO?

mbguy

I use Metabrowser to create .NFO files to be read by Emby.

I sometimes customize titles like this:

5c6c663b406a3_martian.jpg

They were all read correctly by Emby Server before:

5c6c668bcdcfe_martianemby.jpg

But ever since 4.02, Emby is ignoring the customized titles and only shows this:

5c6c674b946a8_splitemby.jpg

This is despite in .NFO the local and sort titles are specified properly:

5c6c67860e582_NFO.jpg

What happened? It looks like Emby 4.02 just stopped reading my .NFO files but Metadata settings have not been changed:

5c6c67f379b9b_metadatareaders.jpg

Anything I can try?

Edited by mbguy

I already tried the following, none of it works.

1. removing the folders, re-added, run full scan

2. removing folders, delete library, add library, re-added folders, run full scan

3. new movies don't work either.

The only thing that Emby reads proper my custom names are the ones saved with old .xml file

Alright, I did more testing and found out only movie.nfo files of Movies in BDMV format are not recognized by Emby NFO Reader.

Air Force One \ BDMV
              \ movie.nfo

But on the other hand, movie.nfo files in movie folders of regular video files such as movie.mkv are being read by Emby NFO reader properly.

Blade Runner \ blade runner (2011).mkv
             \ movie.nfo
Edited by mbguy

Happy2Play

I did not have any issue manually editing a nfo file for a BDMV item.

Edited the nfo and performed a library scan.  All the changes were read.

I did not have any issue manually editing a nfo file for a BDMV item.

Edited the nfo and performed a library scan. All the changes were read.

Hmm maybe because Metabrowser is not saving .nfo for these BDMV folders in a format that is understood by Emby NFO Reader.

Does anyone else know of a different metadata library manager?

Edited by mbguy

Happy2Play

You mind zipping a problem nfo file and posting it, and I will drop in a test file and see if I get the same results.

You mind zipping a problem nfo file and posting it, and I will drop in a test file and see if I get the same results.

Here's an example.nfo file that was generated by Metabrowser that can't be read by Emby NFO reader.

movie.zip

Looks like a potential folder rip related quirk.

This is very strange because all these movie folders were fine when I was on 4.01 and none of the settings have been changed on Metabrowser.

Happy2Play

@@Luke

Has Emby ever read a movie.nfo?  Doesn't it need to be filename.nfo?

Edited by Happy2Play

On 2/19/2019 at 11:36 PM, Happy2Play said:

@@Luke

According to Kodi wiki, file name can be saved in "movie.nfo" format but the example given there was not for BDMV structure, so I'm not sure. See https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Movies

@@Happy2Play do you use a metadata editor?

Edited by mbguy

Happy2Play

According to Kodi wiki, file name can be movie.nfo but the example given was not for BDMV structure. See https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Movies

@@Happy2Play do you use a metadata editor?

I personally use Media Center Master, only xmls with the XML Metadata plugin.  But I don't use Kodi at all.  But most of my test installs only use Emby created metadata.

• Like 1

Alright, I gave up. Went back to .xml which got picked up by Emby XML reader right away.

Perhaps this issue is caused by Metabrowser not saving .NFO in a compliant format? Hopefully Emby developers can look into it based on the sample movie.nfo file I provided above.

Hmm maybe because Metabrowser is not saving .nfo for these BDMV folders in a format that is understood by Emby NFO Reader.

Does anyone else know of a different metadata library manager?

I switched from Metabrowser to Ember Media Manager (EMM).

German forum here.daily builds here.

Last stable version is too old and not really usefull anymore, so get the daily build, it's working fine.

New stable version is coming (slowly, but it's coming).

It's mostly build for kodi, but as emby uses more or less same filenames and content, it works with emby, too.

I did some tweaking to the settings, so it creates more "old style" names for emby (like movie.nfo instead <movie-filename>.nfo, etc).

You might need a little time to get used to it, but now, I really like it very much (after years of using Metabrowser).

Ciao, Alfred

• Like 1

yes kodi read movie.nfo but i dont think emby does, have you try save too <name of movie file>.nfo ?

Yes I thought of that, but settings on Metabrowser are already set to <name of movie file>.nfo but when it comes to BDMV folders it still defaults to movie.nfo, can't figure out a way to change it, any metabrowsers experts here who know the trick?

5c6dd7f57fc11_XBMCoption.jpg

I switched from Metabrowser to Ember Media Manager (EMM).

German forum here.daily builds here.

Last stable version is too old and not really usefull anymore, so get the daily build, it's working fine.

New stable version is coming (slowly, but it's coming).

It's mostly build for kodi, but as emby uses more or less same filenames and content, it works with emby, too.

I did some tweaking to the settings, so it creates more "old style" names for emby (like movie.nfo instead <movie-filename>.nfo, etc).

I downloaded Ember Media Manager, it seems to have a huge learning curve.

But most important question first, does it write a movie.nfo file into a movie folder with BDMV structure that can be read properly Emby reader?

I downloaded Ember Media Manager, it seems to have a huge learning curve.

But most important question first, does it write a movie.nfo file into a movie folder with BDMV structure that can be read properly Emby reader?

Never used BDMV folders before, so I tried it with a simple folder.

EMM saves the nfo file in default settings just like it is describes in the kodi wiki: index.nfo file in the BDMV folder.

Emby doesn't pick up this file, also no movie.nfo file, neither in the BDMV folder, nor in the movie folder.

So I saved the metadata by editing it in emby, and emby created a <foldername>.nfo in the movie folder named <foldername>.

I replaced this file with the index.nfo from EMM and refreshed the metada and everything was displayed in emby.

So, at the moment, emby does neither use the movie.nfo file nor the kodi naming convention for BR-folders, but if you rename your movie.nfo in the folders to <foldername>.nfo, emby should pick them up.

Sadly, I couldn't get EMM to create the nfo files with user defines names, it seems, these settings are broken in the current version.  :(

Ciao, Alfred

• Like 1

@@Luke

Yes, it is prioritized lower than filename.nfo, but it is supported. But only when a single movie is in a folder.

Never used BDMV folders before, so I tried it with a simple folder.

EMM saves the nfo file in default settings just like it is describes in the kodi wiki: index.nfo file in the BDMV folder.

Emby doesn't pick up this file, also no movie.nfo file, neither in the BDMV folder, nor in the movie folder.

So I saved the metadata by editing it in emby, and emby created a <foldername>.nfo in the movie folder named <foldername>.

I replaced this file with the index.nfo from EMM and refreshed the metada and everything was displayed in emby.

So, at the moment, emby does neither use the movie.nfo file nor the kodi naming convention for BR-folders, but if you rename your movie.nfo in the folders to <foldername>.nfo, emby should pick them up.

Sadly, I couldn't get EMM to create the nfo files with user defines names, it seems, these settings are broken in the current version.  :(

Ciao, Alfred

@@serpi thanks for the testing, as I suspected, Emby 4.02 maybe the culprit here then, not the metadata managers. I was wondering why all my BDMV folders were recognized before until 4.02 -- something must have changed in the Emby NFO reader because metabrowser settings were the same as before.

Edited by mbguy

Updates:

1. I renamed the movie.nfo file generated by Metabrowser to foldername.nfo but it is still not recognized by Emby :(

2. Next I changed the same movie.nfo file generated by Metabrowser to index.nfo then the Emby NFO reader picks it up instantly! :)

This I think concludes that the movie.nfo file generated by Metabrowser indeed contains the right formatting.

Emby team, could you look into fixing this so the next version of NFO reader would recognize movie.nfo files located in movie folders with BDMV structure?

Edited by mbguy

Updates:

1. I renamed the movie.nfo file generated by Metabrowser to foldername.nfo but it is still not recognized by Emby :(

2. Next I changed the same movie.nfo file generated by Metabrowser to index.nfo then the Emby NFO reader picks it up instantly! :)

This I think concludes that the movie.nfo file generated by Metabrowser indeed contains the right formatting.

Emby team, could you look into fixing this so the next version of NFO reader would recognize movie.nfo files located in movie folders with BDMV structure?

Where did you put the index.nfo files?

Inside the movie folder itself or inside the BDMV subfolder?

For me, this is never used by Emby, it works only with <foldername>.nfo inside <foldername> (not in BDMV subfolder).

So it's

--foldername

----foldername.nfo

----BDMV

------index.bdmv

------STREAM

--------00000.m2ts

etc...

Ciao, Alfred