Micro Lag issues on Apple TV 4th Gen

Alibabava

Alibabava

Hi, 

I am experiencing Micro Lag issues on my Emby Apple TV app, I have tried with transcoding and without, changed the bitrate but no luck. I have also played around with the Apple TV settings (Match Content),I completely deleted the server and reinstall  but nothing seems to be fixing the problem. 

When I play the exact same content on my Amazon Fire TV, it works fine and no issues at all. 

can someone help me here and let me know if I am missing something? 

Alibabava

no worries, i am not that technical, just wanted to know if someone knows the issue, will stick with Plex at the moment. 

Thanks anyways 

samuelqwe

no worries, i am not that technical, just wanted to know if someone knows the issue, will stick with Plex at the moment.

Thanks anyways

Yes, devs are aware of the issue. The issue is that the update that just came out introduced a new video player, but it does not yet match the frame rate of a video, which can cause it to appear like it is lagging. This should be addressed eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
Alibabava

is there a place that i can download the old version of Emby? if i get the IPA i can side-load it to my apple tv 

Edited by Alibabava

sfatula

Hi, 

I am experiencing Micro Lag issues on my Emby Apple TV app, I have tried with transcoding and without, changed the bitrate but no luck. I have also played around with the Apple TV settings (Match Content),I completely deleted the server and reinstall  but nothing seems to be fixing the problem. 

When I play the exact same content on my Amazon Fire TV, it works fine and no issues at all. 

can someone help me here and let me know if I am missing something? 

I find that a little strange. What I did on the AppleTV to workaround it for now is change the max streaming bitrate to 5 mbps so that it forces transcoding, and I find the transcoded video always look good on the 4th and 5th gen ATV. Roku or any other client appears no different in the quality. Transcoded for me always looks good, for 5mbps video that is. Even on a 120" screen.

Edited by sfatula

Alibabava

I find that a little strange. What I did on the AppleTV to workaround it for now is change the max streaming bitrate to 5 mbps so that it forces transcoding, and I find the transcoded video always look good on the 4th and 5th gen ATV. Roku or any other client appears no different in the quality. Transcoded for me always looks good, for 5mbps video that is. Even on a 120" screen.

i have done that as well, it looks better than direct play but i still see the lags here and there. its not stopping me from watching but once you notice it it gets annoying and keep the focus away.   

Edited by Alibabava

sfatula

i have done that as well, it looks better than direct play but i still see the lags here and there. its not stopping me from watching but once you notice it it gets annoying and keep the focus away.   

I don't see it, but it could depend on the content I suppose. I do see defects very well usually. Sadly, I'd rather be my wife who almost never notices them as I would be happier!i I suspect the next version will resolve these issues. Meanwhile, MrMc works great as an Apple TV Emby client for playback. 

Edited by sfatula

• 2 months later...
Telli

So this basically make the apple app useless and it be fix eventually? WTF??? 

Yes, devs are aware of the issue. The issue is that the update that just came out introduced a new video player, but it does not yet match the frame rate of a video, which can cause it to appear like it is lagging. This should be addressed eventually.

• Like 1

Telli

(ahh never mind see they make it easy)))))))How do you use MrMC to play back emby content?

I don't see it, but it could depend on the content I suppose. I do see defects very well usually. Sadly, I'd rather be my wife who almost never notices them as I would be happier!i I suspect the next version will resolve these issues. Meanwhile, MrMc works great as an Apple TV Emby client for playback. 

Edited by Telli

sfatula

So this basically make the apple app useless and it be fix eventually? WTF???

This is the thing I dislike most about Emby. Before several latest versions, things were doing quite good, everyone at my house was very happy. Then, they broke atv, you have this issue plus horrible de-interlacing issue, and now the freeze frames after tvos 12.3 to put the nail in the coffin. But Roku was still working. Then, they rolled out a server update and that update on Linux broke Roku client. So, now we can watch dvr recordings, well, nowhere with emby.

To me, fixes are more important than new features when they break clients. Far more important. When a client becomes "useless" for many, it should be fixed much sooner than many months later. If you expect people to actually use the product that is.

I am not sure they understand just how bad the defects are quite honestly.

Edited by sfatula

Senna

How do you use MrMC to play back emby content?

In MrMC:

1. Go to Settings >> Services >> Emby Client and use one of the Sign-in options.
  2. After signing in, go back to MrMC Home Screen and select "Choose your Server" (Name of your Emby server)

(In Opacity Skin, the user icon botton left of MrMC Home Screen, in Ariana Skin, the left icon from the 3 small icons at top right of MrMC Home Screen)