Dealing with same name cast and crew...

MndWrp

Hello. Basically i noticed that my director for '12 years a slave' is Steve McQueen, the actor from 'papillon'... Which is not right.

Is there a way to have two people with the same name and be able to set which is which on a given emby entry?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Happy2Play

No you have to manually change one of them.  I use the same method IMDB does when it happens, but could require a lot of manual metadata updating, depend on how much media the actor is in.

https://www.imdb.com/find?ref_=nv_sr_fn&q=+Steve+McQueen&s=all

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/61779-same-name-different-person/?p=609220

Edited by Happy2Play

pünktchen

I would call this problem some kind of a bug, because with Emby 4.x.x the cast isn't stored in folders with the person name anymore. So when scraping cast from the online providers, Emby should compare the provider ids of the new cast with existing id database entries, not with existing names!

Happy2Play

​I would call this problem some kind of a bug, because with Emby 4.x.x the cast isn't stored in folders with the person name anymore. So when scraping cast from the online providers, Emby should compare the provider ids of the new cast with existing id database entries, not with existing names!

Yes and no.  An existing installation still uses name folders.  Only a new installation or new database.

But it comes down to more then just people entries, as the item nfo/xml are by name so every item would have to be refetched and written by an id instead of a name.  So Actor would equal 13565 or 72757 not a name.

By name will always have this issue.

<actor>
    <name>Steve McQueen</name>
    <role>Henri "Papillon" Charriere</role>
    <type>Actor</type>
  </actor>

<director>Steve McQueen</director>

Or write an additional tag to contain ID.

The information is available from TMDB

{"cast":[{"id":13565,"name":"Steve McQueen","character":"Henri \"Papillon\" Charriere","order":0,"cast_id":1,"profile_path":"/b8LEJ08B4DMX2gsi5UTsYNRNJee.jpg"}
"crew":[{"id":72757,"name":"Steve McQueen","department":"Directing","job":"Director","profile_path":"/6w2fWkuhYQuv18OQi8cmSIq8srN.jpg"}
But OMDBapi is by name and TVDB has people by id by every series has a new actorid as no series has the same person image. Edited by Happy2Play

pünktchen

But it comes down to more then just people entries, as the item nfo/xml are by name so every item would have to be refetched and written by an id instead of a name. So Actor would equal 13565 or 72757 not a name.

By name will always have this issue.

<actor>
    <name>Steve McQueen</name>
    <role>Henri "Papillon" Charriere</role>
    <type>Actor</type>
  </actor>

<director>Steve McQueen</director>
That's no problem. An existing nfo normally has a TMDB_Id or something like that. So Emby can directly query for the movie details, which also returns the cast and crew with their ids. Than for every cast and crew name that is returned by the online provider and is also present in the nfo but not in Emby's database yet, just use the cast and crew ids to query for the biography. Only for names that exist in the nfo, but are not returned by the online provider you'll have to query by their name.

It's not a bug at the time metadata retrieval because at that point we have unique ids, except in the case of omdb as happy2play mentioned.

However it is an issue when importing from nfo as the data there is only people names, so if you have two matching people in the database there's know way to know which it should be.

pünktchen

It's not a bug at the time metadata retrieval because at that point we have unique ids, except in the case of omdb as happy2play mentioned.

However it is an issue when importing from nfo as the data there is only people names, so if you have two matching people in the database there's know way to know which it should be.

But the problem also exists without any nfo.

pünktchen

What problem exactly? how is it created?

Simple to recreate:

Fresh Install of Emby Version 4.1.0.10 beta.

Only one movie library with only two movies in it -> "12 Years a Slave (2013)" with director Steve McQueen and "The Great Escape (1963)" with actor Steve McQueen

Only TheMovieDB provider is active. No writing to nfo is allowed.

The movie folders do not have any existing images, xml or nfo files!

Result is a totally mess:

"The Great Escape" has an actor Steve McQueen but with the Image of the director Steve McQueen.

If i click on that person it shows the biography and links of actor Steve McQueen, but still with the image of director Steve McQueen and with both movies underneath.

The same happens if i click the director link inside "12 Years a Slave".

If i then do a metadata refresh on that person with replace all images, the person image corresponds to the biography.

But now the director Steve McQueen has the image of the actor Steve McQueen.

If i then do an identify on the director to correect this, the actor also gets the biography and image of the director.

Emby always treats them as one person!

post-3415-0-48845600-1551050971_thumb.png

post-3415-0-05766700-1551051110_thumb.png

• Like 2

Simple to recreate:

Fresh Install of Emby Version 4.1.0.10 beta.

Only one movie library with only two movies in it -> "12 Years a Slave (2013)" with director Steve McQueen and "The Great Escape (1963)" with actor Steve McQueen

Only TheMovieDB provider is active. No writing to nfo is allowed.

The movie folders do not have any existing images, xml or nfo files!

Result is a totally mess:

"The Great Escape" has an actor Steve McQueen but with the Image of the director Steve McQueen.

If i click on that person it shows the biography and links of actor Steve McQueen, but still with the image of director Steve McQueen and with both movies underneath.

The same happens if i click the director link inside "12 Years a Slave".

If i then do a metadata refresh on that person with replace all images, the person image corresponds to the biography.

But now the director Steve McQueen has the image of the actor Steve McQueen.

If i then do an identify on the director to correect this, the actor also gets the biography and image of the director.

Emby always treats them as one person!

Ah yes great catch, thanks !

So it adds one to the db. Then when it adds the second, it looks for one already in the db with the same provider Id's, which there are none. So then it looks up by name and finds the one that was previously added, but in this case it should just be creating a new person record. 

This can be fixed going forward, although it will not clean up existing entries.

My comments still stand though about nfo metadata. It will need to be expanded to hold more information in order for this to work properly.

• Like 2