Same Name, Different Person

adamstewiegreen

adamstewiegreen

So I went to watch Bullitt the other day and noticed that the picture is not of Steve McQueen the actor but Steve McQueen the director.  When I clicked on the picture I got the description of McQueen the actor with the photo of the director and the movies listed were from both of them.

I went into the metadata to see if I could fix this, but couldn't see any way to distinguish the two men.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks.

DarzLir

I remember that happened to me with Chris Evans, I do not currently have any Top Gear (UK) program, but I remember seeing the "Captain" there  :lol:

Happy2Play

There is no easy way since images are saved by NAME.  It requires manual updating of all media the actor is in.

So you would edit metadata on every movie for the actor and modify the name, I use the roman numeral from IMBD and add it to the actors name.
Then open that new actor and put in TMDB and IMDB for the actor. 

Note--If you use Identify you will have to edit actor name with edit info as it removes the roman numeral.  Title must match path folder name.  Or you create a name mismatch actor disappears from UI.
5b74db7baafc7_Identify.jpg

5b74db93f2d02_people2.jpg

5b74d96ae50ae_same.jpg

So if you have a lot of media it could take awhile to update each movie/show/episode.

• 1 year later...
gillmacca01

@

Happy2Play

Does this still work, if so I am doing something wrong.

I have edited an actor in a tv show, adding roman numeral. I have ticked to lock 'name' and saved.

I then went back in and entered the IMDB/TMDB id's, but once I click save, it overwrites with the original actor's name, fills in pic and bio

gillmacca01

I'll try to explain a little bit more.

I have an actor in the tv show '8 simple rules' called 'Amy Davdison'. On the show, I select edit metadata, and change the name to 'Amy Davidson (I)', untick 'name' to lock it and save.Under the show I can now see 'Amy Davidson (I)' with no pic or bio (as Emby cannot find an actor with this name).

I then go back into edit metadata, and for the same actor I enter IMDB/TMDB id's, and click save. When the tv show screen is now displayed, it is showing the actor as 'Amy Davidson' (no roman numeral) and pic and bio retreived for the id number

Forgot to mention, incase it is needed, that I am running the latest beta version

Edited by gillmacca01

Right it doesn't work that way. You don't change the names of the people, change the names of the people attached to the media.

gillmacca01

Sorry, don't know if I am just being thick, but I am not understanding what actually needs changing.

I was following what 'Happy2Play' posted:

So you would edit metadata on every movie for the actor and modify the name, I use the roman numeral from IMBD and add it to the actors name.
Then open that new actor and put in TMDB and IMDB for the actor

Edited by gillmacca01

gillmacca01

Thinking about this, do you mean I have to change it where it shows the 'Cast & Crew' pics?

And do I just change the actor's name?

Edited by gillmacca01

• 7 months later...
agottschling

Sorry to unbury an ancient thread, but would it be possible to just link the name to an IMDB ID or something similar? I've got a movie as well as a show both with Peyton List staring in them, but they got merged into one person as far as emby is concerned. However, on IMDB as well as others, they have different unique IDs.

Thanks for your time. Cheers!

This is what I get on my system (different IDs).

image.png.a12a21fd600df3a6d25c86193b04df64.png

Brunette

image.png.fa64cb74ab96d4c8eb1f710e6e5fa2f9.png

image.png.ffb030525911d97cdb7669c4bc52cbab.png

Blonde

image.png.09e069fad584df789dc6f1b4927b0686.png

image.thumb.png.7b96a4eafbdc72524a7740caf8ed383f.png

Edited by cayars

agottschling

EDIT: Nope, Wait, I'm just an idiot. Apparently, I totally glossed over the bit above where Luke explains how do fix this problem. My apologies.

Ok, I guess my question then is, How do I change the IMDB ID for an actor/actress. My server don't provide an obvious way to do so when editing the show/movie metadata

image.thumb.png.51820371c76ad0b5d9bcb4b884fea456.png

If I'm missing something, PLEASE let me know. This is driving my OCD nuts

Edited by agottschling
found solution

Happy2Play
11 minutes ago, agottschling said:

EDIT: Nope, Wait, I'm just an idiot. Apparently, I totally glossed over the bit above where Luke explains how do fix this problem. My apologies.

Ok, I guess my question then is, How do I change the IMDB ID for an actor/actress. My server don't provide an obvious way to do so when editing the show/movie metadata

image.thumb.png.51820371c76ad0b5d9bcb4b884fea456.png

If I'm missing something, PLEASE let me know. This is driving my OCD nuts

This is metadata for Media, not metadata for a person.  You can not apply providerids via media metadata as that comes directly from provider in their provided metadata.  

agottschling
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

This is metadata for Media, not metadata for a person.  You can not apply providerids via media metadata as that comes directly from provider in their provided metadata.  

Right, My issue what that I wasn't splitting off the shows/movies for the two different actresses BEFORE I went to change the ID. That was my mistake.

@cayars How did you get those beautiful corner ribbons for your unwatched counters' though. I WANT

Happy2Play
18 minutes ago, agottschling said:

DIT: Nope, Wait, I'm just an idiot. Apparently, I totally glossed over the bit above where Luke explains how do fix this problem. My apologies.

That was back then also, but yes still can be used.  Emby has changed no longer using a people folder(image by name) to allow same named people as media metadata will have people ids instead of just using a by name lookup.  Now currently this is almost impossible to maintain a backup of people do to this change.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, agottschling said:

How did you get those beautiful corner ribbons for your unwatched counters' though. I WANT

Custom CSS but only applies to the web client (not online web client).

Look at a couple posts here

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/36755-some-css-fixes-tweaks/&do=findComment&comment=858211

2 hours ago, agottschling said:

@cayars How did you get those beautiful corner ribbons for your unwatched counters' though. I WANT

I asked Happy2Play for a copy of his CSS mods.  LOL 
He and many others have contributed a ton of custom CSS things that can be used for web.

Have you gotten things straightened out now or still having issues?

agottschling
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

Have you gotten things straightened out now or still having issues?

Yup, Seems fine now. I'm guessing I'll have to keep on on top of it going forward though. Or will Emby now filter by the IMDB ID?

Happy2Play

There still a a glitch of some sort as two of these have the same providerids but different database ids.  But could be something that happened a long time ago. The second Peyton has 6 movies and 1 serie and the third has 2 movies

same.thumb.jpg.6b6cf2a93d5311cb41784da9ac439bd0.jpg

same2.thumb.jpg.08bbe7d56289ff2d32b88e011fc9180f.jpg

Happy2Play

Note removing the two items attached to the third Peyton List removed the third entry.  Then re-adding those two items linked them to the second Peyton List.

But the rogue Peyton List entry still remains in the database but is not searchable in Emby UI.  Since the rogue entry is no long linked to any other items it is easy to delete from the database but the common user will not do this. 

So the real question will be will future added media always attach to the person that has linked media or could it possibly link to the rogue person entry remaining in the database?  Or is this just a legacy database issue?

Correction - The rogue entry is accessible if you provide the rogue id via a url.

rogue.thumb.jpg.cdf261993e43609c1295aebb4d5d9344.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

20 hours ago, agottschling said:

Sorry to unbury an ancient thread, but would it be possible to just link the name to an IMDB ID or something similar? I've got a movie as well as a show both with Peyton List staring in them, but they got merged into one person as far as emby is concerned. However, on IMDB as well as others, they have different unique IDs.

Thanks for your time. Cheers!

We do, when the metadata comes from MovieDb. But tvdb & omdb do not provide this information, so with them it's just a by name match.

• Like 1