Trying to sign in to Emby Connect

SleepSeeker

SleepSeeker

Hi, first time user. I've been trying to setup Emby for the past few days. After some youtube videos and reading help guides. I finally think I got everything setup. The only problem I can't figure out, is that it won't let me connect my server. I try to link to the account but it gives me an Error.

I did what it says on the wiki page. i hit users. I go to Ember Connect username or email address and type my with email. I type in that info and every time it pops up with "There was an error adding your Emby Connect account. Have you created an Emby account? Sign up at "website"

When I click on that link it takes me to a page to login. I put in my username and it logs me in and it says there is no servers available to connect to. It says to add server or sign in with Emby Connect.

It's been about 2 days since I created an Emby account, so I don't think it's a creation issue. On the Wiki page it says once i put my email address in, it will send me an email to link the accounts, but each time I try that on the dashboard where it tells me to sign in. I get that same error every time.

I was just wondering if there is something I'm missing before I send in the issue to support email.

Thanks

SleepSeeker

I did try that last night and again right now. I get the same message. I did manually connect my server at the connect site they listed in that error message. But I would like to figure out why I can't sign into the username/email and why it gives me an error. When I can sign in at emby connect site.

Thanks for replying :)

Have you already attached this SleepSeeker account to another user on your server?

It can only be attached to one.

All of your outbound http requests are timing out.  You have either a Firewall blocking or some other network configuration problem.

SleepSeeker

okay. thanks. I went and added inbound and outbound rules for the 2 ports. I went to allow app through firewall and saw that Emby is allowed. It didn't work. I'm all out of ideas of where to look.

Thanks for trying to help

Edit: I got my account linked. I restarted my computer and that might have done the trick.

Edited by SleepSeeker

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies, the server log is now attached.

You're trying to link the same Emby Connect user to multiple local users. You can only link an Emby Connect user to one local user.

LifeofAF

You're trying to link the same Emby Connect user to multiple local users. You can only link an Emby Connect user to one local user.

Luke,

Thank you for your response. Appreciate the quick feedback. First thing, I e-mailed apps@emby.media last week and I still haven’t received a response as of yet. If support is only provided in the Community section why is there still an error message prompting you to contact the e-mail stated above?

I did find the problem you stated and I removed my Emby Connect user from multiple local users. I believe I linked the Emby Connect user to one local user, I attached my server log so it can be confirmed.

I created another Emby Connect user account (CoachFernandez), separate from the Emby Connect user account (LifeOfAF) associated with my local user. Every time I try to “Sign in with Emby Connect” using CoachFernandez, I select “Sign In” and it states

“No servers are available to connect to. If you’ve been invited to share a server, make sure to accept it below or by clicking the link in the e-mail.”

I accepted the Emby Connect e-mail invitation and accepted the agreement stated once the account was created. If I am not connected to my home Wi-Fi network, I cannot see the server. The second I connect to my home Wi-Fi network I can see the server.

Not sure what I am doing wrong or what settings I haven’t enabled. Not sure if @ebr or @speechles can help. Thanks for any additional feedback.

embyserver.txt

Edited by LifeofAF

LifeofAF

@@ebr,

Thank you so much for the response. I’m sorry, but I don’t think I understand your question.

I uninstalled Emby and reinstalled it onto my cell phone NOT connect to my home Wi-Fi network and trying to connect via "Emby Connect." It can't see the server at all. When I connect to my home Wi-Fi network and Sign-in again I see the server I can connect to, BUT the server I can connect to uses my original (LifeofAF) account and not the new username/e-mail I created. I connect to Emby using the local server profile with the LifeofAF account. Hopefully this makes sense.

LifeofAF

Is your server setup to allow remote connections?

Hey Cayars,

In the Expert section >> Advanced >> Hosting>> I noticed the "Allow remote connections to this Emby Server" checked marked. I assume this is what you are referring to and yes, it is check marked.

I know I am probably doing something fundamentally wrong but I can't figure out what on earth it could be.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Hi.  Remote connections aren't quite that simple. You need to be sure that you configure your network to route traffic to the machine properly.

Please see: Connectivity

LifeofAF

Hi.  Remote connections aren't quite that simple. You need to be sure that you configure your network to route traffic to the machine properly.

Please see: Connectivity

@@ebr,

I reviewed the Connectivity Wiki page as you suggested.

In-Network Connections

In-Network Connections run without any problems. I’ve uninstalled the app and reinstalled it and the app see’s the server immediately without any problems. It doesn’t matter what device I use my Emby server is accessible on my network.

Open TCP Port 8096 on Firewall

Verified this was indeed open for network traffic.

External Connections

This works ONLY if I have at least logged into Emby once when on my home network. If I turn off my Wi-Fi on my mobile device I am able to log into my Emby server.

Verify Public Port

I’ve gone to canyouseeme.org and verified my “Remote (WAN) access” is able to see my IP and port (8096).

Port Forwarding

I do have port forwarding enabled because I have a double-NAT on my home network. I have a Verizon Fios router assigned from my ISP and I use an ASUS wireless router which all my devices are connected to. I had to previously set this up correctly because initially I was using Plex to access my media and now I wanted to try out Emby.

Emby Connect by Adding a Server outside my network

If I use my Remote WAN IP address to manually add the server it connects fine. I can see the server once I input the appropriate credentials, THE PROBLEM I continuously face is each user I have invited via Emby Connect connects to the local server and uses the account (username/e-mail) associated to the local server (the admin account).

Why can’t they log into the server with the e-mail address I invited and create an account on the local server?

I hope I've provided enough information, if not please let me know. I feel like I simply can't get this to set up properly. If there is anyone else, @@CBers, @@im85288, @@7illusions, @@cayars, @@Luke who can assist I would greatly appreciate the advice.

When you invite someone via email, then they create their own Emby account (on this site) and then you should end up with a user on your server for that account.

it sounds like, instead, you are connecting them to your admin account...

Exactly what steps do you go through to invite a new user?

LifeofAF

When you invite someone via email, then they create their own Emby account (on this site) and then you should end up with a user on your server for that account.

it sounds like, instead, you are connecting them to your admin account...

Exactly what steps do you go through to invite a new user?

@@ebr,

I believe I tested this already by creating another account with another e-mail I have.

In the Users section >> I select the “+” icon >> I select “Invite with Emby Connect” >> In the Emby Connect email address, I input the e-mail I am inviting.

The end user receives the e-mail “Someone wants you to share their Emby World” and selects “Sign Me Up!” >> they create a username, input e-mail associated to the invite, and create a password >> they agree to the terms and agreement by Selecting “Agree” >> Once logged into Emby Community, they close the web app and install the Emby client >> Once installed they attempt to login with the credentials created but cannot see the Server “No server are available to connect to. If you’ve been invited to share a server, make sure to accept it below or by clicking the link in the email.” >> They again select “Sign in with Emby Connect” >> They sign in again and can’t see the server.

If the individual selects “Add Server” and types in the Host and Port >> Selects “Connect” then they can access the server via the local admin account which I don't want them to, I want them to have their own account.

Okay, so you are only completing half of the process.  There should have been a message that came up when you invited them saying something like:

User has been invited to sign up.  Be sure to come back here and add them once they have.

That second part is the key.  When you invite someone who is not already signed up, there is no way to know when or if that person ever does sign up so your server doesn't actually add a user at that point.

After they complete the sign up, you need to go back and add a user just like you did before using that same email.  Then you will get a message that the invite has been sent and will see a "Pending" user in your dashboard.  They will get another email with a link to accept the invite.  After that, they will see your server through Connect.

Now, having said all of that, since you are giving these people the address of your server anyway, I suggest you just create normal, local users on your server and have them log in using those.  The Connect process - as you have discovered  - is really too complicated and we are working on simplifying that.

• Like 1

LifeofAF

Okay, so you are only completing half of the process.  There should have been a message that came up when you invited them saying something like:

User has been invited to sign up.  Be sure to come back here and add them once they have.

That second part is the key.  When you invite someone who is not already signed up, there is no way to know when or if that person ever does sign up so your server doesn't actually add a user at that point.

After they complete the sign up, you need to go back and add a user just like you did before using that same email.  Then you will get a message that the invite has been sent and will see a "Pending" user in your dashboard.  They will get another email with a link to accept the invite.  After that, they will see your server through Connect.

Now, having said all of that, since you are giving these people the address of your server anyway, I suggest you just create normal, local users on your server and have them log in using those.  The Connect process - as you have discovered  - is really too complicated and we are working on simplifying that.

@@ebr,

If I could give you a hug I would. Thank you so much! I was pulling my hairs out not understanding what the hell was going on. With the clarification and additional guidance I was able to get it functioning as it was meant to be.

Let me clear a few things.

As my local server, I am using a Windows 10 OS with Chrome.

The message that came up when I invite an invitee is the following:

“An email has been sent to e-mail address inviting them to sign up with Emby.”

The message did not state to come back to the “Users” section to “Add User” via “Add Local User” button or anything similar to that extent.

There was no indication on my side to complete the verification. I am simply waiting for the invitee to inform me they have completed their sign-up. Now, in the e-mail the invitee receives, it does state the following:

“Once you have completed the sign-up, be sure and let “ADMIN” know they can now invite you to share their Emby library.”

Based on the message that came up for the Admin, this has already been completed.

I never did see “Pending” user on my Dashboard.

What is the standardize approach you would like invitee/users to use? Get an invite to sign-up >> sign-up >> Add User to local server >> Confirm Emby Account Link via email? I was not able to find these specifics on the Wiki or in the Community.

Should I add another post writing up a generalization or steps in adding a user, or is this more of a specific issue for me. Could I contribute to the Wiki, obviously with your review and acceptance. 

Edited by LifeofAF

Hi.  I'm glad you got it figured out.  We are going to be completely re-working and simplifying this process in the near future so that it won't be like this.

Thanks.