Empty library with Emby for Kodi using direct paths

pauper

Hi, I can't seem to work this one out, hope someone can help me.

I have emby 4.0.1.0 running on a linux server with emby for kodi on a raspberry pi 3b+ with osmc and on an x64 arch linux box. All media is shared through NFS which is automounted at boot on the kodi clients. I can get direct paths working fine on the raspberry pi but every time I try top set it up on the x64 box (after resetting the database) it seems to go through all the movies and shows during the scanning process, afterwards the skin seems to show correct stats for number of movies/shows/episodes but when I click on Movies or TV there is no content.

The mounted nfs path is accessible through kodi and is the same as the one on the rpi, and was what I was using with kodi for years before setting up the emby server. Both versions of kodi are using the same skin. I've been trying to get this to work through several versions of emby server (since at least 3.6 but probably earlier) and kodi (since around 17.3, now on 17.6) and have tried numerous repairs/rescans/resets of the database.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
pauper

So, just upgraded to kodi 18, with emby 4.0.2.0 and whether I use estuary, embuary or aeon nox silvo as the skin I still have the same problem; selecting direct paths seems to ingest everything correctly, stats for number of movies/shows/episodes look OK but upon opening Movies or TV there is nothing there. I've tried repairing libraries, updating libraries and database resets numerous times but nothing works and yet it still works just fine on the raspberry pi.

Can anyone help with this?

Angelblue05

What are your shortcuts pointing to?

If you open Emby for Kodi > Do you see your libraries? Do they say Dynamic? If not, access them, is your content there?

Edited by Angelblue05

pauper

This is the first run after resetting the database, restarting and selecting direct paths (that previous log includes the data of the ingestion and is 95M - can't find a pastebin service to upload that to yet, or alternatively I could cut out all the metadata of the media ingested before submitting)

https://paste.kodi.tv/xiqenipafu

What are your shortcuts pointing to?

If you open Emby for Kodi > Do you see your libraries? Do they say Dynamic? If not, access them, is your content there?

Opening the Emby for Kodi addon and accessing the libraries from there is no different, they are empty.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

@@pauper

Can you do the following, I think maybe the media type is not what the add-on expects and so it's not finding your content.

Open Emby for Kodi > Open the context menu on one of your empty library > Remove library from Kodi. Then, you'll see your library (dynamic) displayed, if not re-open Emby for Kodi, access your library. Post that log, thank you.

pauper

@@pauper

Can you do the following, I think maybe the media type is not what the add-on expects and so it's not finding your content.

Open Emby for Kodi > Open the context menu on one of your empty library > Remove library from Kodi. Then, you'll see your library (dynamic) displayed, if not re-open Emby for Kodi, access your library. Post that log, thank you.

Removing the library causes ir to appear as "(dynamic)" and I can then access the content through emby for kodi, but still not through the traditional kodi menus.

Angelblue05

Removing the library causes ir to appear as "(dynamic)" and I can then access the content through emby for kodi, but still not through the traditional kodi menus.

Yes? Can you provide a new Kodi log, accessing the library in dynamic mode. I just want to ensure the content metadata is correctly set. This could be why it’s not syncing correctly in the first place. Thank you.

Disable Kodi debug, leave the add-on logging on debug.

• Like 1

pauper

Yes? Can you provide a new Kodi log, accessing the library in dynamic mode. I just want to ensure the content metadata is correctly set. This could be why it’s not syncing correctly in the first place. Thank you.

Disable Kodi debug, leave the add-on logging on debug.

Sorry, I understood that you only wanted the log if it didn't change to dynamic:

https://ptpb.pw/Yk0m/

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Sorry, I understood that you only wanted the log if it didn't change to dynamic:

https://ptpb.pw/Yk0m/

Looks absolutely normal. And when you sync the library, does it complete? It’s writing to the correct database. No reason for missing content.

• Like 1

pauper

Looks absolutely normal. And when you sync the library, does it complete? It’s writing to the correct database. No reason for missing content.

Yes, it completes the ingestion, it is reflected in the stats on the skin for movies/tv/episodes, but the menus are still empty afterwards.

Angelblue05

Ok. Sync your library back. Access the shortcut.... are you filtering content in the view? Maybe you have it set to only display unwatched?

pauper

The menus in the addon and the standard Kodi home screen menus are empty, they work when using the default emby for kodi mode, I haven't customised them with filters or anything, in fact aeon nox silva is a new skin replacing the previous version of aeon nox for Kodi Leia.

pauper

Ok. Sync your library back. Access the shortcut.... are you filtering content in the view? Maybe you have it set to only display unwatched?

OK, so I entered the menus and checked for filters just to make sure I'm not crazy (turns out I'm not) - what I did see in the side panel was the menu item 'Unlock Sources' - I clicked and after entering the master code I was able to see all content. I really don't understand this as I haven't changed any settings for locking sources ever, in fact going to the emby sources and clicking the context menu shows me that they are currently unlocked. So for some reason with Direct Paths every time I start Kodi I have to click on unlock sources and enter the master code to see any content whereas with native mode I do not (and I never had to previously on Kodi before I was using Emby).

• Like 1

pauper

I've found a few other references to this on the forums, I'm currently using Emby for Kodi 4.0.5 if it helps.

Angelblue05

Yes, this is because the addon does not actually add a source to Kodi. Those entries are just to trick Kodi into behaving.

I am aware you need to enter the mastercode to see content. Other posts were referring not seeing content even after entering the mastercode.

That is not the right behavior, is this correct? If that is right, Can you try to edit the sources.xml file? There should be an entry, http://, can you try to edit it to http://127.0.0.1:57578/emby or some variation to see if anything makes it work like before?

pauper

I don't want any sources locked, I just have master lock to lock settings etc as my better half is a master at pressing the wrong buttons on the remote getting into settings and messing with everything.

Currently (with Direct Paths only) I must select Unlock Sources in the sidebar and enter the master lock each time I start Kodi to have access to any content. This seems to be the same as the situations described in these posts:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/68503-unlock-sources-to-see-emby-library-in-kodi/?hl=%2Bunlock+%2Bsources

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/68418-no-movies-on-kodi-profiles-with-password/?hl=%2Bunlock+%2Bsources&do=findComment&comment=684118

pauper

Yes, this is because the addon does not actually add a source to Kodi. Those entries are just to trick Kodi into behaving.

I am aware you need to enter the mastercode to see content. Other posts were referring not seeing content even after entering the mastercode.

That is not the right behavior, is this correct? If that is right, Can you try to edit the sources.xml file? There should be an entry, http://, can you try to edit it to http://127.0.0.1:57578/emby or some variation to see if anything makes it work like before?

This didn't change anything (the address and port are supposed to correspond to my server settings no|? or can I put anything?). I also tried removing the master lock, resetting the database and ingesting again, then selecting master lock but everything disappears again at that point.

sualfred

The Kodi profile system is completely messed in Kodi 18. Much more worse than it ever was. The guys targeted a rework for Kodi 19.

Just to be sure nothing is fucked up during the upgrade from Krypton to Leia: Have you tried a complete clean Kodi installation from scratch?

pauper

The Kodi profile system is completely messed in Kodi 18. Much more worse than it ever was. The guys targeted a rework for Kodi 19.

Just to be sure nothing is fucked up during the upgrade from Krypton to Leia: Have you tried a complete clean Kodi installation from scratch?

This is a problem I've been having since installing emby and emby for kodi (which was back when I was running Kodi 17.3 approximately) also I just replicated it on the raspberry pi (which is still on kodi 17.x) by introducing a master lock.

sualfred

That doesn't change the fact the profile system is messed up and it's full of Kodi bugs. It's even worse on LE and CE. 

I cannot replicate it here on my dev device, just tested it a few minutes ago. No issues with master lock, only the regular ones with missing widgets and labels that do require a skin reload in some cases. But you should not notice this issues on Embuary, because I fixed it by auto refreshing the skin for such cases.

So, back to my question because you haven't answered it: Have you tried a complete install from scratch?

Edited by sualfred

pauper

That doesn't change the fact the profile system is messed up and it's full of Kodi bugs. It's even worse on LE and CE. 

I cannot replicate it here on my dev device, just tested it a few minutes ago. No issues with master lock, only the regular ones with missing widgets and labels that do require a skin reload in some cases. But you should not notice this issues on Embuary, because I fixed it by auto refreshing the skin for such cases.

So, back to my question because you haven't answered it: Have you tried a complete install from scratch?

Sorry, I understood that you were referring to trying an install from scratch based on the possibility that something was messed up in the upgrade to Kodi 18. I don't have a whole lot of time but as the raspberry pi installation is fairly recent and hasn't been modified a huge amount I'll probably give a fresh install a try when Leia becomes available in the repos as that will require installing and configuring from scratch a new edition of Aeon Nox skin anyway.