What's the best player?

crusher11

maegibbons

FFS life is a compromise (usually) in the many things we have and do. Cost vs functionality.

IF you want to cover all bases get an 2000 dollar HTPC and go with @ recommendations.

For MOST content played well get a Shield.

I am now out of this thread!

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

CBers

Which doesn't support 3D or non-1.78 HDR.

The Shield doesn't play 3D, it just passes the content to the TV to play it.

Also, if you don't obtain cropped HDR content, then it's not an issue and it's only Emby that has the issue, as Plex plays it just fine with their own version of exoplayer in the Shield.

Jdiesel

If you want MVC and HDR playback your only option is madVR. There are plenty of information on the Doom9 forums around supported GPU's and recommended settings. Use Emby Theater and setup an external player.

crusher11

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid=2445669

My Zidoo X9S shows HD mode

720P 50 Hz

1080i 50Hz

1080P 25Hz

1080P 50Hz

3840x2160P 25Hz

3840x2160P 50Hz

Edit 2:  I was totally wrong, My Zidoo does USE the ATV version of Emby, BUT, there is NO automatic Frame rate  change.  It does not play in HD audio either.  So, to use the automatic frame rate and HD audio, you have to use the native player OR Kodi.

What about SD?

According to the earlier info I'd need a special version of Kodi to get 3D playback anyway.

FFS life is a compromise (usually) in the many things we have and do. Cost vs functionality.

IF you want to cover all bases get an 2000 dollar HTPC and go with @ recommendations.

For MOST content played well get a Shield.

I am now out of this thread!

Krs

Mark

If the Zidoo handles the frame rates I need, would that not be the best option?

crusher11

If 3D MVC is important to you need to explore external options as no Emby app supports native 3D playback.

What does 'native' mean in this context?

Jdiesel

No Emby apps support MVC out the box and require an external player for playback. I use Emby Theater with MPC-HC and madVR for 3D MVC and HDR passthrough support.

As far as Kodi goes the only device that supports native MVC payback is a RPi. The Zidoo and HiMedia devices use their own custom player with a Kodi frontend. There shouldn't be any issues using these players with the Emby for Kodi add-on but I have no experience with it.