What's the best player?

crusher11

crusher11

I've been using this on my LG TV through the webOS app, but it doesn't seem to support 3D or subtitled HDR. I saw someone say the Android TV app was the best at least in terms of being frequently updated, but the Shield has issues with HDR when the black bars have been cropped from non-1.78 films.

Ideally, I'd like:

A user interface (so not just the ability to cast picture to my TV after browsing on my phone, which is how Chromecast seems to work)

Support for 3D MVC on my LG OLED55C6

Support for HDR, including subtitles and non-1.78 content

Support for at the very least the vast majority of audio codecs - Atmos, TrueHD, DTS, etc

Something I can control with my IR-only Logitech Harmony to save on remote clutter

I was looking at the Fire 4K as well...what does that run? How wide is its compatibility? The price point certainly appeals, compared to something like the Shield which costs as much as a new Blu-ray player.

CBers

Cropped content aside, the Emby Android TV app on the Shield is the best combination IMO.

If you rip your own UHD movies, then you won't have a problem if you don't crop them.

If you obtain cropped content from elsewhere, then "buyer beware".

crusher11

As has been pointed out repeatedly in the Shield thread, those black bars are dozens of GB big. That aside, I don't currently have a UHD drive, only a player.

The price point of the Shield is also pretty daunting, especially given it'd basically just be for emby.

Charlie117

Additionally, the Nvidia Shield cannot do 3D MVC. But are you sure your TV supports 3D? I thought 3D died with the introduction of OLED panels. 

Edited by Charlie117

crusher11

If it can't do 3D then it's definitely out as an option.

And yes, it does. It's the last 3D model LG made, I think it's the second OLED model.

legallink

I don't have a UHD drive. I'm assuming one is necessary if I want to do my own UHD backups.

My assumption is that comment was more out of shock then out of anything else.

Guest asrequested

Discs are so 1990. I'm amazed they still make them. I have an optical drive for the sole purpose of rare old movies that I can't get any other way. And then I rip them. Best player? HTPC. It'll do anything you want.

Spaceboy

Discs are so 1990. I'm amazed they still make them. I have an optical drive for the sole purpose of rare old movies that I can't get any other way. And then I rip them. Best player? HTPC. It'll do anything you want.

it will but you’ll have to adjust it all the time and it will break more often than a closed device

Guest asrequested

it will but you’ll have to adjust it all the time and it will break more often than a closed device

True. There is more to configure. It's the old configurability vs convenience, dilemma.

• Like 1

CBers

It's a simple fact. Computers can do a huge amount more than any Android device.

Or put another way, an Android device, a Shield in this instance, can do as much as, if not more than, a HTPC.

:)

Jdiesel

Sounds like your only options are ET with MPC-HC and madVR as an external player or Kodi with MVC supported hardware and build.

crusher11

My assumption is that comment was more out of shock then out of anything else.

Not sure why that would be shocking.

Sounds like your only options are ET with MPC-HC and madVR as an external player or Kodi with MVC supported hardware and build.

ET?

So there's nothing really out there that supports 3D? Fire, Roku, none of that?

CBers

Not sure why that would be shocking.

ET?

So there's nothing really out there that supports 3D? Fire, Roku, none of that?

ET = Emby Theatre

All apps should play 3D, as it's the TV that would actually detect it and switch - my Samsung TV does connected to my Shield.

crusher11

All apps should play 3D, as it's the TV that would actually detect it and switch - my Samsung TV does connected to my Shield.

Apps? Someone said above that the Shield doesn't support MVC. I've asked Roku and Amazon and they've said the Roku and Fire don't support MVC either.

On the ET front...you mean getting a whole new computer and plugging it into the TV? Yeah I'd really rather not...

Guest asrequested

ET = Emby Theatre

That's not correct. There's a range of 3D. Most of which, isn't supported. Especially MVC. Unless you mean it gets converted to 2D.

Jdiesel

No hardware other than a few Android boxes (Ziddoo,HiMedia) running a custom version of Kodi can handle MVC playback. Devices on the market are meant for the playback of online streaming services so the likelihood of supporting the very niche market of MVC Bluray remuxes is extremely unlikely. Not to mention the death of 3D in TVs leaving only a few projects left supporting it only further adds the neglect from hardware manufacturers. 

A great resource for everything 3D can be found here:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221407

Edited by Jdiesel

Angus Black

It's a simple fact. Computers can do a huge amount more than any Android device.

Another simple fact; all Android devices are computers. :)

Guest asrequested

Another simple fact; all Android devices are computers. :)

Ha! Indeed they are, and so is my phone. So I'll be more specific.... Windows.

CBers

That's not correct. There's a range of 3D. Most of which, isn't supported. Especially MVC. Unless you mean it gets converted to 2D.

I have a few 3D videos in Emby and playing them back via my Shield triggers 3D on my Samsung TV.

YMMV.