A-Z Shortcuts with multi-alphabet names

mtjj

Just posting this FYI, it's something that might want to be reviewed differently in a future release. Previously, in the Web UI, the shortcuts on the right were A-Z, and any non Latin names appeared below Z but didn't have a shortcut. Now the list seems to auto generate based on characters used, but there is not enough space for all of them to list out - on a 1080 screen, only an additional 18 characters will show. (So a total of 26 Latin letters + 18 = 44 ( +"#").)

I guess this is fine for anyone who has a library named only in a single alphabetic language with up to 44 characters, which covers the vast majority of languages. But it's a bit messy for people who like to have the original name for foreign movies (like me). Also, it wouldn't work for users with Chinese media, or Japanese if there are a lot of movies / series for which the names start with Kanji.

No idea of any other way to handle it to avoid this, though - just posting here for reference so others are aware of this. I'm probably the only user affected by it :-)

5c6142565b57c_AZ.png

• 1 year later...
bigfry

Revisiting this old topic because I just ran into the same thing with my music collection. Added about 40 albums of my wife's JPop and KPop collection to the server, and now the alphabetical scroll bar is absolutely worthless. The new music makes up maybe 10% of the overall collection, but all latin characters are now pushed completely off screen. Can y'all take another look at how this is handled? Maybe an option to count all non-latin characters as a single entry at the bottom?

5e86321fe3be5_Screenshot_20200402Emby.pn

• 1 year later...
Bingie

Somebody else here likes Kpop?  :)

Not sure if this is helpful at all, but I deleted all the Korean text from Kpop names, using English only in file/folder names, completely turned off metadata searching (it will never find the right Kpop info anyways) and I created a separate library just for Kpop music.

I also used a tilde '~' in between artist name and title in the file names, so it looks like "Apink ~ A Wonderful Love" when it plays.  Otherwise, Emby gets confused if you use a dash '-' because the dash is used to separate name from options, like alternate versions of a song.

Hope this helps