v4 - Libraries no longer combine in web UI?

mtjj
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious, I have searched but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for so it is difficult to know the search terms...

After a trip away I find emby has updated itself, which is fine. However, the home screen on the web UI now no longer combines separate libraries into "movies" and "TV". I know this previously used to be an option but I have looked high and low and I can't find it anywhere - has this been removed? If so, why? :-)

The reason I had separate libraries is because they correspond to separate drives on the server and so it is easy to selectively force a re-scan when I know I have added a movie to a given drive, say. I also have non-english movies stored separately and I can easily manage separate subtitle settings by library. Anyway, this worked perfectly for me up until the previous update...

[sigh].... thanks, now I see it's been removed. Oh well, the way it goes, I guess, I must have missed the discussion on the pros and cons of this approach vs the old way....

Three follow up questions:

• If I create a single new library and consolidate all folders, will I lose watched history? I followed the links to the wiki page but this only explains how the new system works, not how to convert from old to new. I guess I lose history and there is no way to avoid this, right?
  • Using different libraries allowed different settings on subtitle download. There's no way to do this in the new system, right? Likewise with selective sync - if I want to manually trigger a sync, I now need to do it for the entire library? These are not exactly deal breakers but both a little annoying in their own way....
  • Is there any benefit in having a separate library for different types of media at all? Or just create one single library of type "mixed content"? The wiki says "Please note that support for mixed content is limited" - but is this going to be the direction the system is moving in? Because if I need to rebuild all the libraries and manually update playing history, I'd rather do it once only and not have to do it again in a year or two....

• Solution

Changing the library setup should not alter your play states at all.

You definitely want to use the proper media type whenever possible.  Mixed content has limitations.

Your second item is the one thing the new system cannot accommodate.

• Like 1

Thanks, I managed to get all the libraries recreated under two libraries, one for movies, one for TV. Things now work as I would expect. 

But, @@ebr, there is also one other issue, I think. I have two versions of one series, for which I want two distinct series to show up (I specifically have the Italian dub of it from when I was studying Italian). Previously these were in two separate libraries and would appear separately. Now they are in the same library and episodes show up as duplicated. I guess I need to create a completely separate library just for that one series, and make sure the folders don't overlap?