EMBY not installing.

JBDragon

So my EMBY prompted me to install 4.1.1 (I was running 4.0.2) on my ReadyNAS 626X.  So the install failed and now I cannot install the previous version 4.0.2 or even the one in the ReadyNAS app store 3.5.2.

I don't know what was done in the 4.1.1 app but it seems to have wrecked the whole install on the ReadyNAS.  I am not a Linux guy so I don't want to have to mess with shell access.  How can I get EMBY working on my ReadyNAS again?

Not a happy camper...

Hi there, can you please describe the problem in more detail? What exactly did you do?

r32nj

I received notice in my client settings screen to download the new update.  I clicked the link and downloaded the ReadyNAS 4.1.1 package from the Emby website.  I "uploaded" the package through my ReadyNAS client and it failed to install.  During this process is uninstalled (partially I assume) the previous  version.  I tried to "upload" 4.1.1 again and it failed.  Then I tried to upload the previous version which also failed.  I tried the version in the ReadyNAS store and it also failed.

Hoping you have an easy fix for this or I'm going back to PLEX even though I much prefer the EMBY Roku interface.

What exactly happened when you tried to install from the Netgear app store?

When you were downloading the packages manually, what exactly was your process for doing that?

r32nj

I sent the link from the EMBY site that I downloaded the package from. I saved to my PC then used my ReadYNAS interface to upload the new package.

I already had the previous package version saved from when I loaded it previously without incident.

Edited by r32nj

• 2 weeks later...

In case it might help make a difference, today NetGear has finally approved our 4.1.1 release, so you could try that from the NetGear app store.

r32nj

I just downloaded 4.1.1 from the Netgear ReadyNAS store and tried to install it.  Same error.  The previous Emby install must have hosed up my ReadyNAS.  Still not a happy camper!!!  I would like a solution to this problem.

5ce5a33f7788f_error.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
jlficken

Well, 4.1.1 totally borked up my ReadyNAS RN516 and now I can't get any version of Emby to load.....sigh.

ETA: I was on 4.0.1.0

Edited by jlficken

jlficken

I still only see 3.5.2.0 in the Available Apps on the ReadyNAS as well.

I never should have tried to update it  :angry:

I have tried:

emby-server-netgear_4.0.1.0_amd64.deb

emby-server-netgear_4.0.2.0_amd64.deb

emby-server-netgear_4.1.1.0_amd64.deb

plus the version from the store and they have all failed.

Edited by jlficken

jlficken

Here's the error when I try thru SSH.

root@FSNAS1:~# dpkg -i emby-server-netgear*
(Reading database ... 28414 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack emby-server-netgear_3.6.0.61_amd64.deb ...
Failed to stop fvapp-emby-server.service: Unit fvapp-emby-server.service not loaded.
Failed to disable unit: No such file or directory
Unpacking emby-server (3.6.0.61) over (3.6.0.61) ...
Setting up emby-server (3.6.0.61) ...
chown: changing ownership of '/home/emby/.ssh/ssh_authorized_keys': Operation not permitted
dpkg: error processing package emby-server (--install):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 emby-server
root@FSNAS1:~#

Interesting, it mentions an older 3.6 .deb. Are you sure you're actually attempting to install the newer 4.x versions?

r32nj

I installed the packages posted on the EMBY website so whatever is being installed was previously installed by the EMBY package or the new EMBY posted packages.

Edited by r32nj

jlficken

Interesting, it mentions an older 3.6 .deb. Are you sure you're actually attempting to install the newer 4.x versions?

I gave up and just did a wildcard to try another version thru SSH.

I tried all of those listed above.

I found this error mentioned in https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69829-emby-not-installing/page-3&do=findComment&comment=749788

The only way I found to solve it was to rename the /home/emby folder thru Windows and then I was able to reinstall with 4.1.1.0 thru the web interface Upload button, however, all of my settings are gone so I'm trying to figure out how to restore all of that since I have backups of the directories.

When you download our .deb files, do you go to the website, or do you go straight to github and get them from there?

jlficken

When you download our .deb files, do you go to the website, or do you go straight to github and get them from there?

I went to the website first and used the web GUI to try and update it as normal but after everything went to crap I started looking for older versions to try which led to me going to github and downloading the "netgear" labeled packages.

Then after nothing worked I went to SSH to try and see what the actual error was that was causing the problem.

There were only two other times we saw an install problem as severe as this, and in both cases the users had gone straight to github and inadvertently downloaded the general linux .deb. Is it possible you may have done this at some point? I believe those users ended up having to factory reset as no amount of uninstalling/re-installing helped.

jlficken

There were only two other times we saw an install problem as severe as this, and in both cases the users had gone straight to github and inadvertently downloaded the general linux .deb. Is it possible you may have done this at some point? I believe those users ended up having to factory reset as no amount of uninstalling/re-installing helped.

This is the contents of my download folder so I don't believe I grabbed the wrong version anywhere as I was very careful to make sure that I got a file with the name Netgear in it before installing.

5cf6e17647cbb_downloads.png

jlficken

Okay...I'm back to 4.0.1.0 and everything works as it did yesterday.  That was fun and I'm sooooo happy that I back up the entire volume on the ReadyNAS to another ReadyNAS so that I was able to grab all of the db's and such to restore the users, libraries, etc.

I'm a C# guy so poking around was actually kind of fun.  I also wrote an app to read your playlist files and sync them to a thumb drive for use in my 4Runner  :D

Edited by jlficken