Latest beta release of Emby Android TV - 1.6.84

thor2105

I just noticed that the latest beta release of Emby Android TV lists one of the changes as 'Disable DTS on Sony TVs.  As I own one of the new Sony OLED TV's, could someone tell me what this changes relates to?  Does it mean that DTS will no longer be supported?

• Disable DTS on Sony TVs
Edited by thor2105
  • Like 1

I just read this thread and the issue reported appears to relate to the new Oreo android system.  Does anyone know what impact this change will have on OLED TV's (A8F) not running the new Oreo system?  What happens to tracks recorded with DTS?  It's my understanding that Sony have delayed the release of the Oreo in Australia as they are fixing an issue with ARC. (I'm not sure if it's the issue reported in this thread, or something unrelated, but there's been a lot of talk in the Sony owners forum.)

Edited by thor2105

I just read this thread and the issue reported appears to relate to the new Oreo android system.  Does anyone know what impact this change will have on OLED TV's (A8F) not running the new Oreo system?  What happens to tracks recorded with DTS?  It's my understanding that Sony have delayed the release of the Oreo in Australia as they are fixing an issue with ARC. (I'm not sure if it's the issue reported in this thread, or something unrelated, but there's been a lot of talk in the Sony owners forum.)

So DTS bitstreams correctly for you from the release version of the app now?

So DTS bitstreams correctly for you from the release version of the app now?

Well, I wish there was a simple yes/no answer to that question, but unfortunately there isn't, as I have an unusual hardware setup.   I am currently using a 2018 model Sony A8F OLED TV, hooked into a Denon 5.1 surround amplifier via a HDR HDMI audio extractor.  Basically, a small powered converter that allows you to connect the HDMI (ARK) output on the TV, to the optical input on the Denon amplifier.   The reason for this hardware setup is that the Denon amplifier only has optical inputs, (model prior to HDMI inputs), and, the Sony A8F does not allow DD 5.1 or DTS output via the optical output on the TV, (no idea what rocket scientist made that decision). The amp still does a great job, so no reason to upgrade - yet.  Great sound, but only up to DD 5.1/5.2, DTS.

The HDR HDMI audio extractor allows audio 'pass through' of DTS-HD, DD True HD, DTS, DD 5.1, LCPM, from the HDMI ARC input, to a SPDIF optical output.

So, blu-rays ripped in DTS and DD 5.1 - (I only rip to this level due to the limitation of the amp), and stored on a server running windows 10 and emby v4.0.1.0

Server connected to Sony A8F via LAN, Sony TV running emby v1.6.79g

TV audio output via HDMI ARC to the HDMI ARC input of the audio extractor.  Optical output from the audio extractor to Optical input on the Denon amp.

Result: When playing a movie with emby, the Denon amp identifies both DD 5.1 and DTS as Dolby Digital 5.1.  I am not sure if the conversion of DTS to DD 5.1 is being performed by emby, or the Sony TV.  I suspect it's not the amp or the audio extractor as both are documented to handle DTS signals.

I'm hoping that any new version of emby will not change this behaviour, and still allow DTS to play as DD 5.1 (I'd be happier if I end up with DTS, but I think Sony may need to play a part it that.)

I'm a bit cautious of Oreo at the moment, as a number of issues related to audio output problems via HDMI ARC are being discussed in the Sony owners forum.  It's my understanding that the release of Oreo has been delayed for Australian users, as Sony is correcting the audio problems.  (I hope this isn't just rumour).  Whether the issue being corrected relates to DTS being output via HDMI ARC is anyone guess.  As long as I end up with at least DD 5.1, I'll be happy.  I'm not sure if there is much difference between DD 5.1 and DTS in any case, at least to my ears.  I'm sure others will disagree.

When I play a DTS movie, (all ripped as MKV pass-through), it shows as 'Direct Streaming'.  The Denon amp shows that it's receiving a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio signal.

Hope this all made sense 

Can you please try the beta and see how it behaves?

Thanks.

Disregard the message I sent you, I found the beta download instructions :).

Edited by thor2105

Can you please try the beta and see how it behaves?

Thanks.

I've given version 1.6.86g a try for the last few nights and so far I haven't found any problems with the DTS playback.  As with the release version, the Denon amp identifies the DTS audio as Dolby Digital 5.1

I've played several movies, 2 Direct Streaming and 1 Transcoding with no sound issues.

There is one issue that I have found, but its not related to DTS, and has been in the last couple of release versions.  (The issue relates to audio sync and is 100% repeatable).  Rather than hijack my own thread with an unrelated issue, I'll start a new thread to discuss the problem.