Watch TV "by the night"?

ember1205

ember1205

There are times when watching shows exactly as they were aired would be ideal (like when a couple of shows do crossover episodes or similar) instead of watching shows "by episode". Is there a way that I can configure a library to play shows based on when they were aired and have it use the correct order no matter how many episodes of individual shows are present?

For example: watch Show 1, Episode 1 then Show2, Episode1 then Show 1, Episode 2, then Show 2, Episode 2

That would cover two shows over a two week schedule, watching the episodes in the exact order they were aired. Is this possible?

ember1205

I genuinely don't know.

I do know that choosing "by date added" doesn't break the episodes apart (keeps them bundled as a show), but I don't know that that would specifically matter. I would expect a "by date aired" type of sort for something like this.

Happy2Play

Use "Release date" it is "Air date", at least in episode view.

Happy2Play

What is "Episode View"?

The episodes tab in your TV Shows content type library.

ember1205

Ah. Doesn't seem to be an option on the FireStick client, and I don't see any way to set that as a default view. As a result, it will never get used (too many clicks).

There are many views we have though that are not exactly what you're asking for, but close enough to provide enjoyment. There is latest episodes as well as Next up. These are designed to let you quickly play from the home screen.

ember1205

My setup uses multiple "DVR" folders that contain shows based on who watches them. The Home Screen doesn't take this into account, so that wouldn't really serve my needs.

The Episode view isn't present (that I can tell) on Android TV or FireStick, so that wouldn't be able to help me either.

This isn't a feature that I "need", it's a "nice to have". But, seeing the inconsistency from one client to another is disappointing. Is there an intention to make them all the same in terms of what options you have? What about a way to centrally control the look and feel (I would love to be able to set the layout using the web client and then have all of my device clients use that layout, at least as an initial setting)?

My setup uses multiple "DVR" folders that contain shows based on who watches them. The Home Screen doesn't take this into account, so that wouldn't really serve my needs.

The Episode view isn't present (that I can tell) on Android TV or FireStick, so that wouldn't be able to help me either.

This isn't a feature that I "need", it's a "nice to have". But, seeing the inconsistency from one client to another is disappointing. Is there an intention to make them all the same in terms of what options you have? What about a way to centrally control the look and feel (I would love to be able to set the layout using the web client and then have all of my device clients use that layout, at least as an initial setting)?

Hi.  We are working on consistency across the apps.  I think that episodes view may be the only one missing from the app in the TV library now.  There are just so many tabs that we try to make sure we have the most used ones and not overload the interface when you have to navigate linearly with a remote control.

ember1205

Hi.  We are working on consistency across the apps.  I think that episodes view may be the only one missing from the app in the TV library now.  There are just so many tabs that we try to make sure we have the most used ones and not overload the interface when you have to navigate linearly with a remote control.

Thanks for the info on this. I appreciate thought being put into how the apps work when your only interface is via remote control as too many things today are only set up to use touch devices only. This is also why I asked about being able to centrally create and manage an "initial view" type of setting as it would make creating the layout easier on a computer with the web client and the TV clients (or any clients, really) could then leverage that setup as at least a starting point or keep it in step with that central layout as it might get altered. If this is something that gets considered, I would suggest allowing the views to be applied at different bind points...

Default -> Client Type (Web, iOS, etc.) -> Specific Cilent -> User

An admin could determine the most granular level at which a view could be bound while any individual client could override this to use only the local view. There would need to be some additional logic to allow a super user to override the "local view only" on a client, though.