Some Files Not Playing On TV After Latest Release

bertbert72

bertbert72

Bit of a strange one.

Since the latest release, I've had issues with playing some files to my Samsung D series TV.  I still have a server sitting at 3.0.5211.41935 which is playing them fine with no transcoding needed.

The message on the TV is "Not Supported File Format".  It also displays the file as having an "x-mkv" extension.  On the old version of the server it comes up as "x-msvideo" despite it actually being an MKV.  The details for one of the problem files are:

Video
Codec: H264
Profile: High
Level: 41
Resolution: 1280x696
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Interlaced: No
Framerate: 23.97602
Bitrate: 3256 kbps

Audio
Language: eng
Codec: AC3
Layout: 5.1
Bitrate: 384 kbps
Sample Rate: 48000 khz
Default: Yes

not-working.txt

working.txt

thanks. can i work with you a little more to get more info?

mbnwa

I have some files that play just fine as well while others will just sit and spin when using Play To I can post logs if that would help or if this is fixed in the dev build I can update and report back? (This is on an LG set)

Edited by mbnwa

I have some files that play just fine as well while others will just sit and spin when using Play To I can post logs if that would help or if this is fixed in the dev build I can update and report back?

Yea update and let us know, thanks.

mbnwa

This is still the case on my LG however if I remove m4v from the profile and allow MB3 to transcode it works but play direct does not work on some movies not all I.E Frozen 2D will not play but Frozen 3D will play

bertbert72

Still not working in latest dev.  However I can work around the problem by renaming the files as .mp4.  The TV then plays them fine without any transcoding.

I've narrowed it down to the changes on 23rd April (specifically https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/commit/17422fd789cd1e89e380d0cd754d59832b698982).  Unfortunately those were pretty widespread changes to how DLNA hangs together so not too easy to unpick to see where it all went wrong.  I patched it with the FlagsTostring change from 3rd May but it didn't help, although I do see that the flags are back to the original 0150....

I've tried forcing the MIME type to mp4 via the profile and although the TV displays "mp4" onscreen it doesn't play.  I'm leaning towards this being a quick of the TV, but the only thing is, how did it work before?

Anyway, if anybody else is having the same problem, try renaming the files and see if that works.

ColtB45

I too am having the same problem with my Samsung D series TV (Model LN46D550). MKV files, the majority of my library, haven't worked since April.

Is there any way I can get old versions to re-install it?

Edited by ColtB45

I too am having the same problem with my Samsung D series TV (Model LN46D550). MKV files, the majority of my library, haven't worked since April.

Is there any way I can get old versions to re-install it?

A lot has changed so that might be difficult, but if you can help debug that would be highly appreciated.

ColtB45

A lot has changed so that might be difficult, but if you can help debug that would be highly appreciated.

I'd be glad to. What can I do that would assist?

Edited by ColtB45

I'd be glad to. What would be of assistance?

well if you have a dlna server that works, you might try using fiddler or wireshark and comparing responses

ColtB45

Here is a Wireshark cap showing it failing with MediaBrowser v3.0.5238.39498.

I'll see if I cant find a DLNA player that will play x264 MKVs without transcoding.
It would be easiest to compare with a previously functional version of MediaBrowser but as I understand it the only way is to do that would be to download said version from git and build it myself.

Edited by ColtB45

well i think you want an alternate dlna server to pair with the tv, right? you could install servioo real quick and just point it to a test folder containing that mkv

ColtB45

Well, of course it works with Serviio. There is a lot different between the two, for starters I am using MediaBrowser to play to the TV and I have to browse on the TV directly with Serviio.

Attached is the success Serviio capture.

What I noticed right off is that MediaBrowser get has a bunch of trailing semicolons.

http://10.1.1.2:8096/mediabrowser/videos/e8fb81139dbc898f335fc1aadc3d0102/stream.mkv?Params=a96d47acf3c448894bc736e764f7bc63;uuid:ad5e0acf-48aa-2002-c108-81f7560003b5;e8fb81139dbc898f335fc1aadc3d0102;true;;;;;;;;;;;0;

While Serviio does not. In fact the Serviio request is VERY simple.

http://10.1.1.2:8895/resource/1055/MEDIA_ITEM/MATROSKA-0/ORIGINAL

What did MediaBrowser DLNA requests look like in early April before the DLNA changes?

Edited by ColtB45

the reason they worked back then is because the dlna features we had were tailored to specific use cases (just as a starting point), and samsung devices got the lion's share of our testing. 

now they've expanded significantly to support other features, so it's really an apples to oranges comparison.

chances are it's an issue of response headers, or didl data

ColtB45

This works to retrieve the correct video in VLC.

http://10.1.1.2:8096/mediabrowser/videos/e8fb81139dbc898f335fc1aadc3d0102/stream.mkv

Is anyone aware of a simple way I could make the TV request just the above without any of the extra parameters at the end of the URL?

Maybe an app that would connect to the DMR and tell it to request the URL I specify?

i think this servioo comparison will be fine, assuming you have wiresharks of both us and them transmitting the same mkv. i'm looking at those logs now.

are you able to use the dlna server to browse to the file and play on the samsung? if so, can you do a wireshark of that? thanks,.