What happened to the film reviews section from the Media Browser days?

pmac

As the title says, why don't we have the "reviews" section when looking at a detail screen anymore? It was kind of a nice feature to have if you wanted to get a little more info aside from a star rating for a title. I didn't even find one single mention of it in the forum, surprisingly.

• Like 3

Hi.  We don't have access to this information anymore.  RT closed down access a few years ago.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi.  We don't have access to this information anymore.  RT closed down access a few years ago.

Thanks.

Ah, that's too bad; it was a nice feature... Are there any API's available from other providers?

• 3 months later...
jachin99

Can you get reviews from guide data? I see reviews for some movies in wmc via schedules direct data

The guide data has some additional features that we can look at utilizing in the future. Thanks

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
GrimReaper
On 2/8/2019 at 4:32 AM, Luke said:

Maybe for user reviews, but I haven't seen any others for professional reviews.

With RT shills being as they are, I wouldn't mind seeing user reviews instead, reckon it'd still be a nice feature addition. 

Edit: Roamed a bit, this one seems decent:

https://www.filmcrave.com/api.php

Though, I'm a bit unclear what's free and what ain't? Although stated "FilmCrave API is free and allows for commercial use". At least they seem open for collaboration. 

Edit2: They even have review taglines:

Wrong Turn (2021) - "The real Wrong Turn was going into that theatre". 😂

Edited by GrimReaper76
Link/Append
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
GrimReaper

Bumping this up. Any thoughts given on the 'Reviews' aspect? Maybe got in touch with FilmCrave chaps? It could be mutualy benefical, being promoted vice-versa? 

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Where do their reviews come from?

Hm, check penultimate post above? 

Have no idea, I suppose they have regular staff/users/contributors? 

On 3/2/2021 at 11:13 AM, GrimReaper76 said:

With RT shills being as they are, I wouldn't mind seeing user reviews instead, reckon it'd still be a nice feature addition. 

Edit: Roamed a bit, this one seems decent:

https://www.filmcrave.com/api.php

Though, I'm a bit unclear what's free and what ain't? Although stated "FilmCrave API is free and allows for commercial use". At least they seem open for collaboration. 

Edit2: They even have review taglines:

Wrong Turn (2021) - "The real Wrong Turn was going into that theatre". 😂

• NOT for mobile application use
  • NOT a free starter movie database
  • MUST NOT query the API more than once per second (strict limit, not an average)

Requirements 1 and 2 would appear to cancel us out.

Perhaps their paid plan doesn't have those limits but we'd need to be sure 1) it is legit and 2) it is good data.

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Requirements 1 and 2 would appear to cancel us out.

Perhaps their paid plan doesn't have those limits but we'd need to be sure 1) it is legit and 2) it is good data.

I understand, but I reckon that is generalized disclaimer, hence the query "Maybe got in touch with 'em", given enough incentive, I'm sure some agreement can be reached. I can envision that being a fruitful partnership, as they could surely benefit from increased visibility from Emby's userbase, and Emby gaining a feature it's currently missing.

Edited by GrimReaper76
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Sparker

Emby can't afford professional critic ratings (which sometimes differ entirely from the audience rating anyway), but won't look into user generated peer reviews (like IMDB consists of) for a feature people have been asking about for a few years now. This is a feature I also miss, and people in this topic have come with an actual possibility.

If people don't like user generated reviews they could disable it, but why not give it to the people who want it?

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

@Sparker It is a matter of where to get them from?  As RT and IMDB want a lot of money annually for their data.

• Agree 1

Sparker
51 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@Sparker It is a matter of where to get them from?  As RT and IMDB want a lot of money annually for their data.

Ahh I was responding to the most recent messages about https://www.filmcrave.com/api.php

It was suggested that the admins reach out to them for the questions they have on API usage cost outside of the bounds of the free offering, but they can also ask where the reviews are sourced from, since that question was asked twice. I imagine it is like IMDB, which is also user generated reviews.

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

I think movie db also has reviews now.

Yes they do, so the question is would this meet the needs of this topic?  Then where would they go?

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/507086-jurassic-world-dominion/reviews?language=en-US

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/293660-deadpool/reviews?language=en-US

Probably a similar layout to what we had years ago. It's just that these are not professional reviews. And also are they moderated for profanity, that could be an issue.

Cheesegeezer

This could actually be a feature Emby could implement in my eyes. The user base is large enough and even a link from the … menu in emby UI can direct to a web page. If you make it a premium option only then you have user name already or premiere key and access token and user can star it and write a review. 

emby can screen for naughty words prior to acceptance or initially moderate it using the forum moderators until it becomes an insane task as users start to accumulate for this feature.

i think it’s an easy implementation and you might be able to sell this info on the back of this as an API.

@BillOatman has a plugin already for screening this profanity. 

hope the cogs are turning in your heads 😉

cheese… out!! 👍👍

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Agree 1

ng4ever
On 9/4/2022 at 7:30 AM, Happy2Play said:

Why do they want so much money though for the data ?