VAAPI Docker Debian again

Stramm

I'm trying to get hardware accelerated encoding working on my NAS. It's based on a Intel J4105, a Gemini Lake Atom processor with Intel UHD Graphics 600. So basically hardware acceleration should work.

I've added the video group id to the GIDLIST, also I've published the render node (--device /dev/dri/renderD128:/dev/dri/renderD128).

In addition to that I've installed probably necessary drivers, libs and tools (apt-get install vainfo, libva-dev, i965-va-driver)

vainfo looks promising and I can't see any problems there.

However hw acceleration won't work.

If I execute a shell inside the emby docker (docker exec -it emby-server4.0.1.0 sh) and run ffmpeg manually (hardware accelerated) inside it, it's working. (/bin/ffmpeg -vaapi_device /dev/dri/renderD128 -i "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Backup/@Movies/Movies/_recode_cinema 9/Test (2017)/Test (2017).avi" -vf 'format=nv12,hwupload' -c:v h264_vaapi "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Backup/@Movies/Movies/_recode_cinema 9/Test (2017)/Test (2017) Test.avi")

So what am I doing wrong?

I'll attach two logs of recoding the same movie. One using emby (encoding quality veryfast - stopped encoding after a minute as it would need approx two hours), the other the manual ffmep run inside the emby container. This one needs ~12 minutes to encode.

So what am I doing wrong or what could I change to get VAAPI running. Right now I do not know what to try else.

Thanks,

Thomas

Edit: Oh, and I've opted for the Emby premiere lifetime license (cause I've just read that's necessary now for VAAPI).

ffmpeg emby.txt

ffmpeg manual run inside emby docker container.txt

Edited by Stramm
  • Like 1

Hi, this isn't usually supported in docker at this stage, so I'm afraid I don't have all of the answers yet.

But functionally that log looks ok to me, not seeing any errors related to vaapi.

Keep in mind the two command lines are very different so it's not an equivalent comparison.

Hi Luke, that's not really what I hoped to hear. So what options do I have atm., if I'm looking for hw acceleration? Switching to Windows or manually downloading the deb and installing it for each update isn't an option for me. After you guys stopped supporting the suse repo (which was very comfortable to use imho, at least for us customers) I bit into the bullet and switched to docker. However here I have to swallow the next toad. So please can you tell me what is the officially supported way to go for using Emby on Linux? Just to clarify things, I do not necessarlily need hw accel if there's another way to improve encoding speed.

I would suggest the native .deb. It is very possible we'll have a native install method in the future. thanks.

As you suggested I installed the emby deb, tried to restore the settings from a bakup and got annoyed cause I remembered that the emby user hasn't any permissions on my box. So I fired up Docker again and guess what... hardware acceleration was working (still after purging the deb). I have no clue why and what has happened but who cares ;) 

Now I have another question,but for that I start another thread.