Pre v4 update behavior changed - Not showing tv shows not in a subfolder

jemoore
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

I used to be able to place random TV shows in the My Media defined TV Show folder.  Now, I need to create a subfolder for each unique show.  I don't mind the need for this for complete series.  But, when I download a single TV show that has a properly formatted file name I would expect it to be listed on my Emby server.

For example, I wanted to see what the UK TV show "The Hotel Inspector Returns" was about.  The file name was "The.Hotel.Inspector.Returns.S06E02.1080p.HDTV.h264.mkv".  To make Emby see this one TB show, I had to create a folder named "The Hotel Inspector Returns" to contain this file. 

I'd rather just put these one-off TV shows in one folder and not need to create a unique folder to basically spoon feed Emby info I know it used to be able to figure out.

I've tried this on Emby for Windows 10 and on a Synology DS916+.

How do you/others manage this?

Thanks for the help and advice

Jack Moore

Right - But I don't see how to do that without running a conversion task.  I don't need that much overhead to accomplish a simple task.

--

Why has this behavior changed in Emby?  I can place many movies in one folder and it behaves like it once did.  Why doesn't TV Shows behave like it once did...

Anyway, is this a feature that will not be reinstated?

Thanks

Jack

Your file name actually isn't correct.

Forget about MCEBuddy for this type of thing and use a utility like FileBot that will rename files properly and add YEAR to the folder name.

Most likely your file isn't being picked up correctly because it can't identify the series it belongs to.

Here is the proper way to name TV Shows/Series in Emby:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV-naming

Edited by cayars

• Solution

Hi. TV shows outside of a series folder has never been officially supported.  Right now, we require a folder for the show.

TV naming

• Like 1

Thank you for letting me know, ebr - that was what I was wanting to know. 

And the file name is correct.  It is seen correctly once placed in a directory named for the series.

I'll check out FileBot, too

Thanks all!