Support TV libraries without series folders

blei

For example:

I have a TV series "Foo" which has 5 seasons. I identify 1 season, then I want to merge the remaining (unmatched) seasons into the first one. Plex has the ability to do this, so why can't Emby?

It's very annoying to have to identify 5+ seasons to the same series.

Edited by blei

ginjaninja

Do you store your seasons of a show under a single root path for the show?

I think Emby requires storing seasons under a single root path for the show, so consequently for emby... it is a case of identifying the SHOW (folder) once , not the season (folders) individually.

there is a major  downside to Plex's (in my mind unnecessary) "flexibility", namely Plex regularly misidentifies content, so it needs a sophisticated split/match function to cope with the problem it has created for itself.

e.g. House of Cards conjoined with House of Cards (US)

Right exactly, you put the seasons under a folder for the show, and then you only have to identify the show once. That's why I asked for further information. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

While that's true, I don't always have my content in the same root directory. Moreover, I tend to find that with Plex, at least it has the ability to identify things more accurately for me without me needing to manually identify the series (because the directory isn't named a very specific way). That being said, I like Emby more for it's ability to use external players. But it does get frustrating when I need to identify series which aren't in the same root directory.

Edited by blei

While that's true, I don't always have my content in the same root directory. Moreover, I tend to find that with Plex, at least it has the ability to identify things more accurately for me without me needing to manually identify the series (because the directory isn't named a very specific way). That being said, I like Emby more for it's ability to use external players. But it does get frustrating when I need to identify series which aren't in the same root directory.

I understand this is a feature request, but as others have already said if you follow the naming guide https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV-naming

you would have very good match results with hardly ever a need to self identify a show or movie.

Without doing this you are essentially fight with the system over the way it expects things to be named or organized.

You could use a 3rd party utility such as FileBot to make quick work of naming and folder construction.  It has both a GUI you can drag file into or can be used from the command line and scripted.