Native Emby Server with Multiple 'old' HDHR Dual Tuners - Issue using second tuner

vaise

I am re-visiting replacing TVR with Emby native.  I previously moved to unraid/docker and hence lost NextPVR - The tests back then were documented in threads, and no good for me, but time has moved on and Emby native has made improvements.

So - Allocated one HDHR Dual tuner to emby, removed from tvh.  All tests good. This uses device 192.168.1.21.

Today, I added a second HDHR Dual tuner to emby (and restarted).This uses device 192.168.1.22.

Fired up three recordings, the first two are fine, the third did not fire.  Show was 'Spanish News'. console does not show it, recording folder does not show it.

Log attached but here is the issue below - it seems to not know about the extra tuners - it is trying to fire on the same 192.168.1.21 but they are both in use.

2019-01-31 11:20:14.861 Info App: Opening HDHR UDP Live stream from 192.168.1.21
2019-01-31 11:20:14.865 Error App: Error opening live stream:

I repeated the test to try another - Seven News - same issue :

2019-01-31 11:34:33.321 Info App: Opening HDHR UDP Live stream from 192.168.1.21
2019-01-31 11:34:33.323 Error App: Error opening live stream:

Seems like emby is not recognising the additional HDHR Dual tuner in the system.

Another issue (may as well keep them in the same thread) when deleting from the LiveTV/Recordings tab (on web) or the latest recordings line on the web, the folders are leaving stuff behind (fanart.jpg, poster.jpg and tvshow.nfo), and for the recognised guide metadata ones, it is also leaving an empty season folder and season0x-poster.jpg.

Note - this is emby beta, running on docker (latest beta)

embyserver.txt

Edited by vaise

I did more testing on this, I removed the one HDHT dual tuner (DT model) and added back two HDHR-EU models - so they are the same type (in case that mattered to emby) - so now I have 192.168.1.22 and 192.168.1.23 attached to emby.  Set four recordings at midday, only two fired off.

'ABC News at Noon' fired off and showing everywhere

'Tellytubbies' fired off and sahowing everywhere

'Arabic News" did not fire

'Rex in Rome' did not fire

Same issues.

I am going to delete all, restart emby and do another test to prove this once and for all.

waited fior the next hour fireoff of 4 new ones, after a restart - same issue - only two fire off, the other 2 not.  for log reference, PBS News Hour and Macgyver are the two that fired.

Charmed and Extra did not fire off.

You can see all this stuff at 13:00:00 in the logs.

two recordings attache to tuner on 192.168.1.23.

then the next two recordings try to use the same tuner

In summary, Emby does NOT recognise there is an additional HDHR Dual tuner in there (192.168.1.22).

Log attached.

I am giving up on this, as i have to add that tuner back to TVR for this evenings recordings or the wife will kill me!

I am leaving a single tuner (that works fine) in emby.

Please advise where I go from here.

embyserver.txt

Should I give up and add my tuner back to TVH ?

Edited by vaise

OK, I have pulled this tuner out long enough, time to go back to TVH with it.

I guess emby does not support multiple HDHR Dual tuners - or maybe just with this release.

kanipek

I am re-visiting replacing TVR with Emby native.  I previously moved to unraid/docker and hence lost NextPVR - The tests back then were documented in threads, and no good for me, but time has moved on and Emby native has made improvements.

So - Allocated one HDHR Dual tuner to emby, removed from tvh.  All tests good. This uses device 192.168.1.21.

Today, I added a second HDHR Dual tuner to emby (and restarted).This uses device 192.168.1.22.

Fired up three recordings, the first two are fine, the third did not fire.  Show was 'Spanish News'. console does not show it, recording folder does not show it.

Log attached but here is the issue below - it seems to not know about the extra tuners - it is trying to fire on the same 192.168.1.21 but they are both in use.

2019-01-31 11:20:14.861 Info App: Opening HDHR UDP Live stream from 192.168.1.21
2019-01-31 11:20:14.865 Error App: Error opening live stream:

I repeated the test to try another - Seven News - same issue :

2019-01-31 11:34:33.321 Info App: Opening HDHR UDP Live stream from 192.168.1.21
2019-01-31 11:34:33.323 Error App: Error opening live stream:

Seems like emby is not recognising the additional HDHR Dual tuner in the system.

Another issue (may as well keep them in the same thread) when deleting from the LiveTV/Recordings tab (on web) or the latest recordings line on the web, the folders are leaving stuff behind (fanart.jpg, poster.jpg and tvshow.nfo), and for the recognised guide metadata ones, it is also leaving an empty season folder and season0x-poster.jpg.

Note - this is emby beta, running on docker (latest beta)

Hi -

Did you happen to follow the setup procedure:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Older-HDHomeRun-Support

For ALL the tuners that you were trying to setup?  It needs to be done once for each HDHR unit. 

By "old" I assume you mean HDHR-US or HDHR-3?

Edited by kanipek

Thanks for the reply.

Yep - those instructions are from way back - done many times as have applied multiple firmware releases since those old days.  Currently on the latest.

These are called HDHR dual - quite old now.  Models are HDHR3-DT and 2 x HDHR3-EU.

I have been playing witht he streaming however from TVH into Emby and that is working great.

I have @@bigjme's post to thanks for that.

I had 8 recordings over 4 channels on the same mux (and only using 1 tuner in TVH) - This including the 4 in progress and the 4 x 10min pading from the ones before.  I played them all back expecting them to be pixelated, but all good.  This is multiplex recording that emby native to HDHR cannot do yet

Next tests were making sure the different tuners were firing to record different channels on different muxes.  All working fine.  I fired recordings over four broadcasters and four tuners were in use by TVH (this is where emby native to HDHR failed).

Then I thought, what the hell, lets try and break it - so I recorded every channel I have in my guide - that is 16 channels, plus any padding from the ones before that (I have 3 x HDHR, so 6 actual tuners).  There are only 5 broadcasters here in Australia).  That all fired off at 12PM and I can see 17 things recording, with matching files in the file system, all growing.  I will give it an hour till they all finish then do some watching of them to make sure they are OK. 

It all seems pretty bulletproof so far with this method.  With this method - I don't see any reason for the TVH Plugin ?  I did not use it anyway but what purpose does it serve ?   

Edited by vaise

Thanks for the reply.

Yep - those instructions are from way back - done many times as have applied multiple firmware releases since those old days.  Currently on the latest.

These are called HDHR dual - quite old now.  Models are HDHR3-DT and 2 x HDHR3-EU.

I have been playing witht he streaming however from TVH into Emby and that is working great.

I have @@bigjme's post to thanks for that.

I had 8 recordings over 4 channels on the same mux (and only using 1 tuner in TVH) - This including the 4 in progress and the 4 x 10min pading from the ones before.  I played them all back expecting them to be pixelated, but all good.  This is multiplex recording that emby native to HDHR cannot do yet

Next tests were making sure the different tuners were firing to record different channels on different muxes.  All working fine.  I fired recordings over four broadcasters and four tuners were in use by TVH (this is where emby native to HDHR failed).

Then I thought, what the hell, lets try and break it - so I recorded every channel I have in my guide - that is 16 channels, plus any padding from the ones before that (I have 3 x HDHR, so 6 actual tuners).  There are only 5 broadcasters here in Australia).  That all fired off at 12PM and I can see 17 things recording, with matching files in the file system, all growing.  I will give it an hour till they all finish then do some watching of them to make sure they are OK. 

It all seems pretty bulletproof so far with this method.  With this method - I don't see any reason for the TVH Plugin ?  I did not use it anyway but what purpose does it serve ?   

The wiki was just recently (last week or so) updated to reflect the procedure for setting up the older HDHomeRun devices.  That information was in the forums already however so maybe you saw it there before.

But if you wouldn't mind.  Try following exactly the steps shown:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/HDHomeRun-Setup

and

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Older-HDHomeRun-Support (this is the new section added)

Make sure to follow the scanning procedure for both tuners.

If this doesn't work could you try adding the tuners in reverse?

As an additional helpful thing

Schedule 3 or 4 recordings to happen and after it fails the 3rd/4th recording please upload the current server log file after completing this so we can take a look at it.

The log will have some type of failure in it and it would be helpful to see what this error is.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

The instructions seems like what I have done many times in the past so I cant imagine the results changing but I will give it a go later.

The only question NOT in the wiki is on the first screen of the HDHRSetup app - the second option states 'BDA Compatibility Mode'.  Mine is set to nextPVR which worked fine for NextPVR in the old windows days, plus TVH in the recent days.  I have other options there though - Default, Easy HDTV DVR, Fore the Record, JRiver Media Centre, NextPVR, Windows Media Centre.  Which do you think Emby wants ?  or does it not matter ?

The wiki could also be updated as my old tuners do NOT have the favorite channels web server option, so I am at the mercy of the front end to hide all the mess (please Mr Emby, get channel management in).

The TVH streaming method I am using now is just a mirror of the setup in TVH, where I removed/configured the channels already - but this direct Emby method means ages of channel hiding using the parental controls tag thing - but I wont do that for this test.

OK - I have done these tests and it is WORKING now.

Some things I did differently :

1 - Rescanned the channels (again)

2 - I set the BDA compat mode to default

3 - I unticked the allow transcoding on the tuners (as mine cant do that).

I have added all three tuners and all 6 are in use. 

I recorded 6 shows that were on and they all fired fine.

I stopped them, then scheduled 6 shows to start on the next hour (only 5 fired but may be a bad test as some were duplicated names on diff channels).

Summary

At this stage, the tvh stream method to a single emby m3u tuner is superior :

1 - it allows multiplex recording (I can literally record every channel I get (I tested 17 recordings at the same time and all were fine)

2 - It has channel management from tvh (just the ones I want)

The only downside is there is another point of failure in the mix (tvh) - but it has never ever failed to date.

I will stick with this method, and retry emby native to HDHR when you release channel management, and then again when you release multiplex recording.

Thanks for the replies.

Multiple hdhr's are supported. It's possible the reason the live streams failed to open was due to permissions on the docker container in regards to the UDP port.