In a battle with Emby to control what image is shown for my shows

jbirmingham40

jbirmingham40

I am in a constant battle with Emby to control the image shown for certain programs when I view the list of programs.  I frequently select the default primary image from TvDB only to find that Emby changes it to something else a few hours later.  

This has been happening for a couple of months now.  I have upgraded to many releases, including betas, but the problem is always there.  Not sure what triggered it initially but whatever it is I cannot get it to stop.

I have tried a number of things including deleting all the fanart.jpg files, all the poster.jpg files, reconfiguring emby to store all images in its cache, reconfiguring it to store the images alongside the media, removing the fan art plugin, deleting and recreating the cache, and rebuilding the database.  Sadly none of these efforts have made a difference.

Yesterday I witnessed this happen again with one of my shows.  I noticed that a poster.jpg file was overwritten at precisely 16:00:07.  I checked the logs and found a message that corresponded to that event.

2019-01-29 16:00:07.237 Debug ProviderManager: Saving image to /var/lib/emby/metadata/livetv/21f76d301e2e7697cf26b13791a106eb/poster.jpg

This path does not match the path of my program nor the update poster.jpg but when I view the file it is the same image.  I assume there is code that is copying it from this directory over to the show directory but there are no logs to corroborate my theory.  

Any ideas on what is causing this and how I can fix it?

Running emby-server-4.1.0.3-1.x86_64 on CentOS 7.  Logs attached.

embyserver-63684403200.txt

jbirmingham40

It was enabled at one point but I have it currently turned off and I went in and deleted all the images after turning it off.

Ok so that is most likely the reason for your problem.

You have an image in the local media folder. You use the image editor to pick a new one, but emby server is not configured to save to local media folders. Therefore the image gets saved to emby's internal metadata folder.

Since images in local media folders always get priority, it changes back on the next library scan. So you need to pick one or the other and go all in - either let emby save to your local media folders, or make sure to manually remove your existing image when doing this.

jbirmingham40

How do you explain emby writing the image to the metadata folder and the local folder despite my settings being setup to not save artwork to the local folder?  The log I posted initially shows it only being written to my metadata folder but the timestamp on the poster.jpg file in the local media directory is exactly the same as the timestamp of the file in the metadata directory and matches that of the log entry.  Best I can tell emby wrote the file to both places.

As a work around I deleted all the poster.jpg images in my metadata directory and all the poster.jpg in my shows directory and initiated a rescan with my system setup not to store images in the local media folder.  So far emby has not written any poster.jpg files to the local media directory which is a good sign.  Will let you know if that changes again in the future.

Thanks.

jbirmingham40

FYI, it just finished rescanning all my shows and strangely in the process wrote a single poster.jpg into one of my show's local directories.  Not sure why.  I deleted the local poster.jpg and the primary image in the UI and initiated a rescan of that one show.  This time the image repopulated in the UI without writing a new poster.jpg to the local directory.   Will see if this corrects the issue.  Thanks.

jbirmingham40

The problem is back.  Emby just dropped poster.jpg images into two of my local show directories.  The poster.jpg files appear to be either images from fan art or clips from the show rather than the image which appeared after a rescan.  If I delete the poster.jpg or go to edit image and delete the primary and then rescan it goes back to the correct image. I don't get it.  Why is emby dropping these files into my local directory?

jbirmingham40

Just noticed the image is defined in the guide for the program being recorded.  Below is a sample from my guide file.  The icon element specifies a path to an image which matches the one emby is writing to local media directory.  

<programme start="20190129103000 -0600" stop="20190129110000 -0600" channel="FX.us">
    <title lang="en">How I Met Your Mother</title>
    <sub-title lang="en">Best Prom Ever</sub-title>
    <desc lang="en">Marshall and Lily's dream wedding venue becomes free and they finally set a date for their wedding. Lily and Robin sneak into a high school prom to hear band The 88, who Marshall wants to play at the wedding. Later, Lily worries that she's not ready to get married and hasn't experienced enough, while Robin finds a surprising way of making Lily realise that she has had an exciting life</desc>
    <icon src="https://i.yo.tv/images/9/1100-1-20/s/84c50774ac14ebf78cf8312dfbe21216.jpg"/>
    <episode-num system="xmltv_ns">0.19.</episode-num>
    <subtitles/>
    <rating system="US">
      <value>TV14</value>
    </rating>
    <star-rating>
      <value>7.0</value>
    </star-rating>
  </programme>

I suppose I could just strip all the icon elements to workaround this.  Would that work?

jbirmingham40

Yes.  These are shows that I am recording from an iptv provider.

I dropped all the icon elements from the guide xml file and ran for the last 12 hours.  During the last 12 hours I have not seen any of my images replaced with the wrong image BUT I did still get two poster.jpg files written into my shows local directory.  Fortunately both files contained the image I wanted to see so the net net is everything is working from an end user perspective.  

Will continue to watch it.

Edited by jbirmingham40

jbirmingham40

I want to be clear that the image I am fighting with is the image used to represent the show folder (e.g. the images shown below).

5c534b2b7f2f2_ScreenShot20190131at12154P

Replacing the images for individual episodes is fine. In fact I like that feature.  But replacing the images above with a clip from an episode is no bueno as it makes it difficult to figure out what show I am picking especially if I have not see every episode of the show and don't recognize the clip.  I feel like I can win the battle though by stripping the icon elements from my guide xml file and running cronjobs to delete poster.jpg files created by emby.  Will see if I am successful.

right because the dvr saves an image in the series folder, and then when you use the manual editor you're not giving emby permission to replace the original image.

jbirmingham40

I re-read your prior response and I think I misinterpreted what you said.  You can disregard.

It appears my workarounds solved the issue.  Emby is still dropping poster.jpg images into a small number of the series folders but the poster.jpg files, so far, are identical to the image that was previously shown which means that my images are no longer changing randomly.  Yay!  

I must admit that I still don't understand why emby writes poster.jpg files to my series folders even though I told it not to store media locally nor why it is doing this for only a small number of my series.  It feels like the flag's purpose is to tell emby to store ALL images in the /var/lib/emby/metadata directory rather than the the series folders. This feels like a bug. 

I also don't understand why emby considers the the icon element for a single episode in an  xmltv file as acceptable to use for the entire series.  At least for my iptv provider, the icon element always points at an image specific to that episode not the entire series.  Again feels like a bug or at least a difference of opinion in what the icon element is supposed to represent.

For now I am happy since I found workarounds for both issues.  Thanks for your help.

I must admit that I still don't understand why emby writes poster.jpg files to my series folders even though I told it not to store media locally nor why it is doing this for only a small number of my series.  It feels like the flag's purpose is to tell emby to store ALL images in the /var/lib/emby/metadata directory rather than the the series folders. This feels like a bug. 

Yes i think you're right. This should be respected. Thanks.