Issue with vertical video on 1.6.79a on fireTV 4k

Dariusz

Dariusz

I recently tried to play some videos from camera uploads and it was a recording from phone that was done vertically.. what happens when i tried to playback is i still get the video output in vertical view but the actual video playing it is showing sideways and stretched.. i tried to play it from emby server and it did display correctly.. i assume it has something to do with the 1.6.79a version? i can upload a sample video if u need?

Dariusz

Hi, so you're saying it plays in the web app vertically? Yes a sample would be helpful.

Thanks.

yes, so whn i play it on web app from emby server it plays fine.. if i play it from the firetv 4k emby app it does not.. attached it pics of video from web app vs firetv 4k emby app and the video used for this test.. also this happens on all vertical videos FYI..

also, i had to compress the video into zip bc it said i can not attach mp4 file directly

post-150164-0-84527800-1548802362_thumb.jpg

post-150164-0-76319400-1548802380_thumb.jpg

VID-20190129-WA0001.zip

Dariusz

Hi.  Have you ever played this video with any other version of the app?

no i have not.. i was going through some recorded videos and noticed this happens when I play vertical videos from firetv emby app.. for all I know this could have been an issue in previous versions, but I only got to try it now..

Haven't tested yet but was it direct playing or transcoding in the browser? if direct playing then results could vary depending on what each browser supports and if they respect the data that indicates the orientation. if transcoding then it's dependent on the server.

Your video plays properly for me on both my Mi and Fire TV.

Can you try turning off the auto refresh rate switching if it is turned on?

Dariusz

Your video plays properly for me on both my Mi and Fire TV.

Can you try turning off the auto refresh rate switching if it is turned on?

I tried it with it being on or off and didn't make a difference.. both in the app and on fire tv..

However when playing the video, i noticed there is an option to go into settings while video is playing to make adjustments and one of the settings there says "playback correction". if i choose it for first time, the video get displayed horizontally, if i select it the second time, the video gets displayed correctly at that point.. however it should be correct from the start. i tried this on two different TVs using two different fireTV 4K devices and I have same results.. one is samsung plasma and the other samsung LED..

Dariusz

Haven't tested yet but was it direct playing or transcoding in the browser? if direct playing then results could vary depending on what each browser supports and if they respect the data that indicates the orientation. if transcoding then it's dependent on the server.

so from web browser it is direct playing.. on the fireTV app it does transcoding.. however, from my last post above, I mentioned I found an option when watching the video to do "playback correction" which changes the way video is displayed.. after selection it 2nd time the video gets displayed correctly.. i did this to about 5 videos and now all vertical videos starting to play correctly right away.. is it possible that after selecting this option multiple times, the app adjusted to play the video file in correct way automatically?

UPDATE*

So I just tried this on my 2nd fireTV 4K and had the videos play sideways.. I did "playback correction" on one video during 3 playbacks, back to back and left the video to finish once it was displaying properly.. on the fourth playback, video started correctly right away.. i tested other vertical videos after that and they all started playing correctly right away.. so I guess this is fixed and seems the app adjusted itself to correct playback.. pretty neat..

UPDATE 2*

I noticed now that if I exit emby app into fireTV main menu, and when I got back into emby app and sign in again, the setting don't keep for the video playback.. i have to use "playback correction" over 2-3 playbacks and then the video works again correctly.. so this isn't a permanent fix, but works as long as I don't exit the app.. hope this helps in some way.. but for now at least I have a way of playing back vertical videos if need be..

Edited by Dariusz

The app doesn't "remember" those playback correction attempts so I'm not sure what is going on here.  For me, your sample direct played on both my Mi and Fire TV and was the proper orientation.

Dariusz

The app doesn't "remember" those playback correction attempts so I'm not sure what is going on here.  For me, your sample direct played on both my Mi and Fire TV and was the proper orientation.

hmm. i dunno what else to say.. if there is anything else i can do to test to see where the issue is, I am up for any suggestions.. but i did test this on two different TVs and two different fireTV 4K.. the only other issue would be the server which i am running on asustor NAS and it is at latest stable version.. i do not have issue playing back from web browser.. just from the fire tv

It direct plays for me.  If I force it to remux then it plays incorrectly.  Somehow, it is the stream copy through ffmpeg that messes it up...

That's very odd because it is certainly acting like it should be preserved:

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'file:C:\Users\spam\Videos\vertical.mp4':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : mp42
    minor_version   : 0
    compatible_brands: mp42isom
  Duration: 00:00:35.90, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2029 kb/s
    Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (Baseline) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, unknown/bt470bg/unknown), 640x352, 1932 kb/s, 30.09 fps, 30.09 tbr, 30085 tbn, 60170 tbc (default)
    Metadata:
      rotate          : 90
    Side data:
      displaymatrix: rotation of -90.00 degrees
    Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 96 kb/s (default)
[segment @ 00000253756bf780] Opening 'C:\Users\spam\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\transcoding-temp\eab8b230eb90a1bfc6367f3d5bb8b0210.ts' for writing
Output #0, segment, to 'C:\Users\spam\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\transcoding-temp\eab8b230eb90a1bfc6367f3d5bb8b021%d.ts':
  Metadata:
    encoder         : Lavf58.12.100
    Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (Baseline) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, unknown/bt470bg/unknown), 640x352, q=2-31, 1932 kb/s, 30.09 fps, 30.09 tbr, 90k tbn, 30085 tbc (default)
    Side data:
      displaymatrix: rotation of -90.00 degrees

so from web browser it is direct playing.. on the fireTV app it does transcoding.. however, from my last post above, I mentioned I found an option when watching the video to do "playback correction" which changes the way video is displayed.. after selection it 2nd time the video gets displayed correctly.. i did this to about 5 videos and now all vertical videos starting to play correctly right away.. is it possible that after selecting this option multiple times, the app adjusted to play the video file in correct way automatically?

UPDATE*

So I just tried this on my 2nd fireTV 4K and had the videos play sideways.. I did "playback correction" on one video during 3 playbacks, back to back and left the video to finish once it was displaying properly.. on the fourth playback, video started correctly right away.. i tested other vertical videos after that and they all started playing correctly right away.. so I guess this is fixed and seems the app adjusted itself to correct playback.. pretty neat..

UPDATE 2*

I noticed now that if I exit emby app into fireTV main menu, and when I got back into emby app and sign in again, the setting don't keep for the video playback.. i have to use "playback correction" over 2-3 playbacks and then the video works again correctly.. so this isn't a permanent fix, but works as long as I don't exit the app.. hope this helps in some way.. but for now at least I have a way of playing back vertical videos if need be..

@@Dariusz

Please attach the emby server and ffmpeg log. you're saying it is transcoding out of the box, but this is a basic mp4 that should just direct play. So rather than worry about playback correction, we really should learn why it isn't direct playing in the first place. thanks.

Dariusz

@@Dariusz

Please attach the emby server and ffmpeg log. you're saying it is transcoding out of the box, but this is a basic mp4 that should just direct play. So rather than worry about playback correction, we really should learn why it isn't direct playing in the first place. thanks.

@@Luke the logs are for same video i played 5 times.. on try 2-4 i did the playback correction option..

2019-02-03 emby log.txt

2019-02-03 14.00.07.727.txt

2019-02-03 14.02.20.214.txt

2019-02-03 14.02.28.088.txt

2019-02-03 14.03.17.587.txt

2019-02-03 14.03.24.073.txt

2019-02-03 14.04.13.001.txt

2019-02-03 14.04.19.176.txt

2019-02-03 14.05.43.451.txt

2019-02-03 14.05.46.090.txt

@@Dariusz

Which one(s) are from the initial attempt without doing any playback correction? That is what we're most interested in. Thanks.

@@Dariusz

Which one(s) are from the initial attempt without doing any playback correction? That is what we're most interested in. Thanks.

Some of those are from other items entirely but I think I found the one with this item and it is reporting a direct play error.

That's strange that you can direct play the file and he can't. Are you testing on the same app version?

Dariusz

That's strange that you can direct play the file and he can't. Are you testing on the same app version?

I am running 1.6.79a for the app and 4.0.1.0 for the server

Dariusz

Some of those are from other items entirely but I think I found the one with this item and it is reporting a direct play error.

I actually restarted the server and played the file 5 times.. so those should be all logs from me trying to play that one file.. on first and last playback i did not do any playback correction.. however on playback 2-4 it initially started sideways and maybe after 10seconds of playing i did playback correction option. let me know if u need any more logs please.

Hi.  One of those logs was from playing a Star Trek movie or episode.

The best thing to do is just perform one test and give us one log.  Can you just play the item, don't try playback correction at all, and then provide just the ffmpeg log from that one playback session?

Thanks.