doesthedogdie.com lookup

madhatr

I'm not sure how many people use the site doesthedogdie.com, but it is very useful for looking up any triggers in a movie. It has a long list of possible triggers, like animal deaths, drug abuse, suicide, self harm, etc. My wife is traumatized if she sees a dead cat so for every movie I have to look it up prior on doesthedogdie.com, I have issues with suicides. 

• Like 3

mastrmind11

sounds like the inverse tag filter FR from a couple years ago would be helpful here....  how's that coming by the way? 

It looks like a small operation and perhaps community driven.  If they have an API (I doubt it but maybe...) a plug-in could be built.  It would probably need to be done by a 3rd party at this time but we would support them in the effort.

If someone were willing to build a scraping plug-in (assuming no API) and get's the site owner's consent for that, that would be okay in this case as well.

Thanks.

why not just implement the inverse tag filter and let the guy flag his own stuff?

Because he doesn't know what to tag...  This site is providing that information to him and he'd like an integration with it in Emby.

mastrmind11

Because he doesn't know what to tag...  This site is providing that information to him and he'd like an integration with it in Emby.

He clearly states he visits the site now prior to watching a movie.  So, visit the site-> tag manually -> filter -> voila

Beats waiting for a plugin that will never be built.  And the nice thing is, everyone else can use the feature to inverse filter as outlined in the FR('s).  Win win.

He clearly states he visits the site now prior to watching a movie.  So, visit the site-> tag manually -> filter -> voila

Beats waiting for a plugin that will never be built.  And the nice thing is, everyone else can use the feature to inverse filter as outlined in the FR('s).  Win win.

That process will work right now.  The list produced by that site is for items that should be blocked by him.  So he could use our current feature to do what you describe (and, likely, is).

What he is asking for is a way to make that work right inside Emby.

Please let's keep this discussion to the actual feature request.

Thanks.

• 4 years later...
crusher11
On 1/29/2019 at 1:04 PM, madhatr said:

it is very useful for looking up any triggers in a movie. It has a long list of possible triggers, like animal deaths, drug abuse, suicide, self harm, etc. 

• Thanks 1

visproduction
On 8/13/2023 at 11:43 AM, Luke said:

What exactly does this website do?

It's a database that members or staff can sensor anything that could offend or disturb a user.  Their guidlines include many woke principles and creates a method to ban media by labling it offensive, racist or even involving mixed reality in the storyline.  By these standards, all of Shakespear would be blocked.  Is media art or does it belong to those who tell you not to watch something?

roaku
1 hour ago, visproduction said:

It's a database that members or staff can sensor anything that could offend or disturb a user.  Their guidlines include many woke principles and creates a method to ban media by labling it offensive, racist or even involving mixed reality in the storyline.  By these standards, all of Shakespear would be blocked.  Is media art or does it belong to those who tell you not to watch something?

Define 'censor' and 'ban' in this case.

Edited by roaku
  • Agree 1

visproduction

Roa,

Putting a tag on any product sold in a shop to warn the user of anything about what is included in the product is reasonable for incredients, salt, sugar, perhaps organic vs. not organic.  Adding tags that some art or media shows violent scenes, includes images of people who don't like other characters, or do bad things.  These types of added tagging details are desuaders to the public from considering to watch a video.  You can find tags on this site to probably hit up 'Hamlet' with maybe a dozen warnings.  Isn't this a form of censorship.  Yes, the user can ignore them, but maybe another viewer in the room can say, I don't want to watch this.  Enough warning tags, essentially creates a ban because users and groups will avoid such media because they don't want to be exposed to these elements.  

Imagine putting 12 tags on any book with a strong plot, like Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Les Miserables.  This can easily expand quiet quickly to historic films on the Civil war on anything to do with the Bill of Rights.

We have ratings. We have genres.  If you start including woke perferences in your app, a large part of the US population will reject the software and never come back.  I think if you put those tags as part of the API, and the app will die.  It's censorship and a ban, even if users can bypass it.

Users can selectively do this already by just adding a warning to the information on any video.  I often do this as well.  I will use: "* Extreme violence" or "Adult themes".  

Edited by visproduction

roaku
21 minutes ago, visproduction said:

Roa,

Putting a tag on any product sold in a shop to warn the user of anything about what is included in the product is reasonable for incredients, salt, sugar, perhaps organic vs. not organic.  Adding tags that some art or media shows violent scenes, includes images of people who don't like other characters, or do bad things.  These types of added tagging details are desuaders to the public from considering to watch a video.  You can find tags on this site to probably hit up 'Hamlet' with maybe a dozen warnings.  Isn't this a form of censorship.  Yes, the user can ignore them, but maybe another viewer in the room can say, I don't want to watch this.  Enough warning tags, essentially creates a ban because users and groups will avoid such media because they don't want to be exposed to these elements.  

Imagine putting 12 tags on any book with a strong plot, like Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Les Miserables.  This can easily expand quiet quickly to historic films on the Civil war on anything to do with the Bill of Rights.

We have ratings. We have genres.  If you start including woke perferences in your app, a large part of the US population will reject the software and never come back.  I think if you put those tags as part of the API, and the app will die.  It's censorship and a ban, even if users can bypass it.

Users can selectively do this already by just adding a warning to the information on any video.  I often do this as well.  I will use: "* Extreme violence" or "Adult themes".  

I agree that private citizens like yourself choosing what to view for themselves and what to share with their friends and family is perfectly normal and virtually unavoidable. No one can watch everything. There's a lot of stuff.

I'll go a step further and suggest that those private citizens engaging their right to free association and speech to share knowledge about the content of a given movie or tv show has nothing to do with a 'ban' or 'censorship', and is simply an extension of your own behavior in identifying things you want to avoid or warn others about before sharing.

And Emby is filled with optional plugins and features. It's not an infringement of any kind for a user to choose not to use one of them on their own personal, private server.

When you choose not to use this hypothetical plugin/feature in the future, no one will accuse you of censoring its author. ;)

Edited by roaku

Spaceboy
48 minutes ago, visproduction said:

Roa,

so you are manually doing what the hypothetical plugin would do. and you're complaining about it? 🤪

crusher11
6 hours ago, roaku said:

And Emby is filled with optional plugins and features. It's not an infringement of any kind for a user to choose not to use one of them on their own personal, private server.

But when you think about it, the very idea of having a personal, private server is censorship because it allows you to choose which things you want on your server. It's vital for freedom of speech that you not be allowed to make choices.

visproduction
21 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

so you are manually doing what the hypothetical plugin would do. and you're complaining about it? 🤪

My choice not other people's choice.  There is a difference.

roaku
6 hours ago, visproduction said:

It is other people's choice at stake when you try to ban features and censor access to information on their server, not yours. But you're not trying to advocate for that here, right?

Spaceboy
6 hours ago, visproduction said:

sorry, can i just completely understand what you are saying here?

after you have watched a movie, you add tags for extreme violence and adult themes? i assume you're not making these notes for your benefit, because you've just watched it. so you're doing that for other users of your server. so aren't you enforcing your opinions on those users in exactly the same way you are complaining about this hypothetical plugin?

So no, there is no difference.

this is a hypothetical plugin. it would be optional for users. it would provide users with information only on certain things they may not want to see on film. since when did not wanting to see a dog die equate to being woke?

visproduction

SB,

You sign up to an automated extra rating service and any transphobic, racist, white priviledge, non-progressive, anti-environment, pro-gun, pro-life, pro-truckers, anti-minority, minority is shown as a bad person, if any non-progressive ideas are shown, if there are too many gas cars, if there are not enough non-whites in leading roles and did the dog die all gets added automatically. Look a little closer on what categories are already on the site.  Auto tagging is different to my perference notice in a description. The issue here is not the remote site, but letting the remote site automatically update an Emby service.  I don't care what the remote does.  I think they are objecting to content that contain plot elements for a reason to bring up issues for the public to discuss.  They are critizing art for not being as bland as they want.  They can do what they want on their site.  That is not the issue.

If any of these auto tags show up inside Emby, even in a plug-in, many users will notice, leave and never come back to the service, or the software. Go woke, go ahead, go broke.  Just like Target, and Bud light who together have lost over 20 Billion in stock value.  If you don't think it's a big deal, fine. Let outside groups regulate what you can do or choose to watch.  My objection is when any group automatically tags and tries to shame me from deciding what I wish to do.  If I make that choice to put a couple of limited comments, it's my choice.  To say there is no difference is just being silly.

Edited by visproduction
  • Haha 1

roaku
36 minutes ago, visproduction said:

SB,

You sign up...

That sounds suspiciously like a choice.

jaycedk

That the thing about plugins and choices, its all up to you, to make the right choice.

If I don't want a plugin, I don't install it...

But if I installed a plugin, and did not like it, that's on me.

I do like that people have choices, and the right to choose wrong ( But that not for me to say. ) or correct them.

I can maybe sway them, to see things my way, but nothing more or less.

Its all up to that person.

Edited by jaycedk
Spelling